Old August 22nd 03, 10:58 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Tom" wrote in message

You are mistaken. CB radio is a legal hobby and so
is packet radio.

Both are legal but combining packet with CB is NOT legal. Also US law
limits CB communications to LOCAL use only although propagation makes it
possible to communicate world wide. You are not allowed to make cross
country or out of country contacts on CB.

Actually given the fact that we are in the trough of the sunspot cycle, long
distance communications on the CB band will be rather rare for the next few
years.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 22nd 03, 11:02 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

But, to answer your paragraph, why would anyone take a group of kids to
an amateur club meeting? It's a completely different environment than
they would be comfortable in. And there is usually business to take care
of at a meeting that would be mind numbing for kids to listen to, like
finances, membership issues, etc. If you really wanted to get them
interested, you would get a few amateurs to meet with the kids on the
kids turf, like a classroom, the local YMCA, places like that. The kids
would be comfortable, only hams who ar interested in public outreach
would be involved, and a program could be put together that would keep
the kids involved and interactive.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I think that getting kids involved with local ham clubs is an excellent
idea.
It will socialize them with the older, more experienced hams that can
"elmer" them, show them that there is order and organization, expose
them to programs and activities, etc.

The KEY is finding the RIGHT ham club that will treat the kids the way
they be deserve to be treated as the future of amateur radio, not a club
that will shun and ridicule them as Cindy has described.

Carl - wk3c

Not only that but if the group is larger than two or three, it would be very
wise to arrange it with the club in advance so that they can set aside some
time from the business meeting to welcome the kids and have material
prepared to show them some of the marvels of ham radio. Just springing a
batch of kids on the club is not the best way to introduce the kids to the
club and vice versa.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 22nd 03, 11:53 PM
charlesb

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
Tom wrote:

You are mistaken. CB radio is a legal hobby and so
is packet radio.

But not packet on CB.

This is true in the U.S., but in other parts of the world CB packet is
completely legal, and very popular. FBB BBS software was altered about eight
or nine years ago to make it usable with CB callsigns, because of that
popularity.

There are dozens of European CB packet web-sites... Where have all you guys
been the last decade or so?

If it was legal here in the U.S., it would be popular here, too. Personally,
I do not see any harm in it, but the law is the law. It can't be done here
in the U.S., but we cannot assume that everybody in this newsgroup is in the
U.S.. For some of the readers here, CB packet is a legal, legitimate hobby.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old August 23rd 03, 12:21 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote:
Not up to us 'old white men' to handle you and your problem. I just
forwarded your initial message to the FCC. I hope they find it
interesting.

Don't like that? Too bad.

Dan/W4NTI

I'm sure they need another good laugh from you, twit.

--
GO #40
Old August 23rd 03, 01:42 AM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote:
Not up to us 'old white men' to handle you and your problem. I just
forwarded your initial message to the FCC. I hope they find it
interesting.

Don't like that? Too bad.

Dan/W4NTI

I'm sure they need another good laugh from you, twit.

--
GO #40

QRZ ??? who was the little twit there ??? QRZ ???

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 23rd 03, 01:52 AM

wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote:
Not up to us 'old white men' to handle you and your problem. I just
forwarded your initial message to the FCC. I hope they find it
interesting.

Don't like that? Too bad.

Dan/W4NTI

I'm sure they need another good laugh from you, twit.

--
GO #40

QRZ ??? who was the little twit there ??? QRZ ???

Dan/W4NTI

That's easy:

W4NTI
DANIEL L JESWALD
89 WILDMAN RD
ANNISTON AL 36201
USA

--
GO #40
Old August 23rd 03, 01:53 AM
Mike Coslo

Ham Dat Am wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Old white guys are a legitimate target - and I hope to someday be an old
white guy.

Don't tell that to an old Marine who fought on Iwo Jima

I was just thinking that being old was better than the alternative! 8^)

And well, white guys of eurpean descent are kind of the target( and
supposed cause of all ills) these day, old or young are the target these
days, no?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 23rd 03, 02:01 AM
charlesb

"Ham Dat Am" wrote in message
However the original poster Cindy indicated she was in Tampa, FL and her
e-mail address substantiates that.

Well then, it looks like Cindy's just going to have to find something legal
to do. If she really likes packet, I'd recommend that she get her ham ticket
and participate in the fine amateur packet radio activity that goes on in
Florida. They have over 50 SEDAN nodes there if she is into public service
and emergency communications, and there is also a great ROSE network there.

Trying to do packet on CB freqs in Florida will just get her in trouble, to
no particular purpose.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old August 23rd 03, 02:05 AM
Mike Coslo

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

I think that the best approach is to get with the kids at a level that
they can relate to. And a club meeting is not always the right place.
There is business to attend to, and that is a necessary evil which can
turn a kid off really quickly. It can turn a lot of other people off also.

In our club, the board tries to do as much business as possible during
the separate board meetings. But we still have to bring a surprising
number of issues before the membership.

Now that being said, if someone wanted to bring a number of students to
a club meeting, we would probably come up with some program to keep them
entertained and interactive.

What is interesting to a group of Older folk is probably not going to
be interesting to a group of teenagers, save for a narrow overlap.

The other thing I would be interested in knowing is the other side of
the story. Did Ms Cindy just show up with the kids in tow? Did the hams,
if they knew she was coming, do nothiing special for them? There are
enough unanswered questions that I must go on the evidence presented,
and that is the illegal packet suggestion, and the odd race related
comment. Perhaps Cindy can elaborate.......

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 23rd 03, 02:08 AM
Mike Coslo

Tom wrote:

You are mistaken. CB radio is a legal hobby and so
is packet radio.

But not packet on CB.

This is true in the U.S., but in other parts of the world CB packet is
completely legal, and very popular. FBB BBS software was altered about eight
or nine years ago to make it usable with CB callsigns, because of that
popularity.

There are dozens of European CB packet web-sites... Where have all you guys
been the last decade or so?

I don't pay much attention to US CB, I'm not about to study the
European version.

- Mike KB3EIA -

trying to get back on packet using my old equipment larry Digital 1 January 15th 05 07:47 AM
Packet Ops Carl R. Stevenson Policy 41 January 10th 05 07:30 PM
Need help: Packet with Yaesu VX-5R HT and no-serial, USB-only notebook PC [email protected] Digital 4 December 22nd 04 06:07 PM
Need help: Packet with Yaesu VX-5R HT and no-serial, USB-only notebook PC [email protected] Digital 0 December 22nd 04 12:46 AM
CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM