Old October 20th 03, 10:35 PM
rab

Default best type and location of antenna(s)

I've got an older ford crewcab with a radioshack ssb cb radio. What
would be a good antenna setup for this rig. I will be hauling an
overhead camper on occasion. Twin mirror mounts apeal to me. What is
going to get me the best all round performance?

Thanks
Old October 21st 03, 12:27 AM
Radioman

One, single, large antenna on a properly grounded mount will work
better then any attempt at co-phase on any vehicle not 8.5 feet wide.

At 27 MHz, any antenna shorter then 5 feet is a waste of time.

Old October 21st 03, 02:25 AM

snip
At 27 MHz, any antenna shorter then 5 feet is a waste of time.

snip

Not true. There are antennas at five feet that will match or even
surpass a 102" SS whip.

Old October 21st 03, 01:32 PM
rab

Okay guys I know next to nothing about mounting an antenna so bear
with me...A single stainless steel 102" antenna mounted in the middle
of my roof is the best setup? How long and what type of coax?

Frank Gilliland wrote in message . ..

snip

Bull****.

Old October 21st 03, 02:23 PM
toolz toolz

Just buy yourself a Wilson 2000 or 5000, and you will be pleased with the
results. Do not let the "experts" here yank you around. A 102" whip is a
pain in the ass. It will hit everything above you , trees, garages , etc.
The Wilson comes with coax. Good luck. t
"rab" wrote in message
om...
Okay guys I know next to nothing about mounting an antenna so bear
with me...A single stainless steel 102" antenna mounted in the middle
of my roof is the best setup? How long and what type of coax?

Frank Gilliland wrote in message

. ..

snip

Old October 21st 03, 06:27 PM

snip
This may shock and dismay some people, but I agree with you Frank. A
102" stainless steel (or fiberglass) whip properly mounted will beat
shortened and loaded antennas any day.

Best location would be dead center on the roof, but with a cab-over
camper you can't do that permanently, although you could use a
mag-mount antenna and place it on top of the camper when you have it
onboard.

snip

A repost of a ACTUAL test:

The antennas:

108" SS whip
7 foot Firestik
5'4" X- Terminator double coil

The conditions of this test follow:

1. All connected to Hustler Quick disconnects
2. All used at 1.5 : 1 match or better
3. All tested with a constant tone, constant power transmitter
4. All used on a three magnet mount on the roof of a truck
5. All tested from a parked vehicle that never moved during each test
6. All tested within a very brief time period of each other (15 sec.)
7. All used a stationary Kenwood 940 receiver.
8. The 940 used a vertical beam free and clear of obstacles.
9. A video camera and a 31" television was used to display
a (31" S- METER) and record the results.

Thirteen mile free and clear of obstacles.

108" SS 5.2 s-units
Firestik 5.3 s-units
X-Term 5.4 s-units

Thirteen mile in the middle of the woods test

108" SS 3.3 s-units
Firestik 3.7 s-units
X-Term 3.9 s-units

Twenty four mile free and clear of obstacles.
108" SS .25 s-units
Firestik 1.3 s-units
X-Term 1.5 s-units