Old November 20th 03, 08:35 AM
MrNMrsCody

Default different types Of radios???

I am a truck driver who uses a Cb radio on a daily basis. however whenI'm not
in the truck I wanna listen to my radio at home. I bought a Connex 3300 radio.
It has 240 channels (I don't need it for the truck only use 19 in truck) But
thought it mightbe good at the house. My question is they call it a 10 meter
radio. What does that mean. I know it has AM /FM. But I do not know anything
about radios and would like to learn more about radios. Any help would be
great. Thank you
Steve
Old November 20th 03, 04:08 PM
'Doc

Steve,
A "10 meter" radio is one that covers the 10 meter band,
28.000 to 29.700 Mhz, an amateur or 'ham' radio band. It's
usually a name given to a radio to get around the 'out of
band' frequency or power limitations of CB radio. Basically
just a modified CB radio. They are sometimes called an
'export' radio, same reason, to get around the regulations.
Most are no better than the average 'stock' CB radio and some
are considerably worse in performance.
The 240 'gazillion' channels is mostly a gimmik used in
advertising, in other words, "B.S.". Because of the way they
each work, you can put two SSB signals on one channel but only
one AM signal. 'They' want you to believe you're getting 120
channels instead of the 40 that you are really getting. Just
means that the CB industry (legal and not so legal) want to
sell radios and don't care how they do it. When you get right
down to it, the biggest difference between all CB radios is how
they look...
'Doc
Old November 20th 03, 06:37 PM
Twistedhed

From: ('Doc)
Steve,

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0A "10 meter" radio is one that covers the

10 meter band, 28.000 to 29.700 Mhz, an

amateur or 'ham' radio band. It's usually a

name given to a radio to get around the 'out of
band' frequency or power limitations of CB

radio.

Excuse Doc. He's a bit predjudiced. The above is bull****. Just like 2
meter radios and 6 meter radios, a 10 meter radio is just that, a 10
meter radio, nothing more, nothing less.
10 meter radios are capable of being easily converted to cover the cb
band and the empty, mostly non-used space called the freeband between 11
meter and 10 meter. Such radios send certain ****ed off angry hammies
into spasms, as does the discussion of such cause several of them to
toss out bull**** like the above.

Basically just a modified CB radio. They are

sometimes called an 'export' radio, same

reason, to get around the regulations. Most

are no better than the average 'stock' CB radio
and some are considerably worse in

performance.

Yes, and some are considerably better than most cb's, and much better in
performance,,,like your Connex,,something Doc won't tell you.

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The 240 'gazillion' channels is mostly a

gimmik used in advertising, in other words,

"B.S.". Because of the way they each work,

you can put two SSB signals on one channel

but only one AM signal. 'They' want you to

believe you're getting 120 channels instead of

the 40 that you are really getting. Just means

that the CB industry (legal and not so legal)

want to sell radios and don't care how they do

it. When you get right down to it, the biggest

difference between all CB radios is how they

look...

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0= A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0'Doc

More cb voodoo bull****.
Example: Galaxy 33...no sideband, has AM and FM with,,,damn, I forget
how many bands they have...5 I think (been a long time). So, 5 bands, 40
"channels" each band...would equal 200 "channels".
Some of these guys have their own tunnel vision concerning such
things,,,it's why Doc only told you the negatives concerning your Connex
and none of the positives,,,as far as he is concerned,,it has no
positives, merely because it can be converted.

Old November 20th 03, 06:46 PM
MrNMrsCody

Thanks Doc the respons. very helpful even though I donot really undertsand
everything about the Am band and the SSB. So any more help from anyone is
appriciated. I'm just a radiio junkie trying to get into the whole radio bit!
steve
Old November 20th 03, 09:41 PM
MrNMrsCody

Why is it that these radios **** off hammies?? i do notunderstand? Is there
something that I could do withmy radio that would be tottaly kewl? or tiottaly
unkewl?

Old November 20th 03, 11:40 PM
'Doc

MrNMrsCody,
Probably because something that's ham related is used as
a name for something that isn't really ham related. If
anyone think's the name is fooling anyone, they are saddly
mistaken. It only shows a distinct lack of testosterone and
an excess of dishonesty...
'Doc

Sneaking tiny radios into North Korea Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 November 13th 04 05:02 PM
Comparison of six portable radios lsmyer Broadcasting 0 June 15th 04 01:21 AM
export cb radios I Am Not George Policy 12 March 30th 04 12:44 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Equipment 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Equipment 0 January 30th 04 03:56 PM