Old March 29th 04, 06:01 AM
David 01

I would highly recommend CodeQuick. I learned Morse Code the "old" way the
first time in 1973, quit using it and completely forgot in matter of days it
seems. Bought CodeQuick and got up to 20 plus in 1993 and didn't fool with
code anymore until 2002. To my utter surprise, what I had learned with
CodeQuick was still there. I still was at 20 plus after about 30 minutes of
refreshing.

It's a most amazing system.

"Doug Birky" wrote in message
I agree totally. I am really looking foreword to getting my general. I
don't mind the work of learning CW. I have both the G4FON and CodeQuick.

highly recommend the G4FON. I do use the CodeQuick if I find myself

getting
stuck or mixing up close or opposite sounds. I think that code should be
required for the HF licenses. At 5WPM the people that really want it will
work for it. If the ARRL does get the license changed so no-code gets

some
HF privileges, so be it. As long as folks stay where they belong in the
band, things should still go ok. Its those select few that can screw it

up.
If you don't want to learn code, fine. But stay where you belong. As for

me,
it will be fun to know the code. I have a nephew that is wanting to learn

it
is well. He is currently studying for his tech license and will be

joining
me soon after that when he learns the code as well. This is a fun hobby.
Its great to meet the people, talk to the older folks who started this

out,
and talk to others just getting into it as I am. Please don't wreck it

for
us newbies.
73
Doug / KC8YEC

Dee D. Flint wrote in message
gy.com...

"Old School" wrote in message
I applaud you for wanting to do it the old school way. Nothing wrong
with that. I want to as well, but time doesnt allow that for me unless
I get time soon.

Odds are it will take the FCC about 2 years to make any changes (if they
make any changes). If you practice 30 minutes per day using the free

G4FON
software, you should be ready to take the code test in about 2 months.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 30th 04, 04:16 AM
Dee D. Flint

"David 01" wrote in message
I would highly recommend CodeQuick. I learned Morse Code the "old" way the
first time in 1973, quit using it and completely forgot in matter of days

it
seems. Bought CodeQuick and got up to 20 plus in 1993 and didn't fool with
code anymore until 2002. To my utter surprise, what I had learned with
CodeQuick was still there. I still was at 20 plus after about 30 minutes

of
refreshing.

It's a most amazing system.

The reason that you did not forget it the second time around is that you did
choose to get up to 20wpm. Research documented in "The Art & Skill of
Radiotelegraphy" (free for downloading from the internet) indicates that
once a person has learned it well enough to achieve solid copy at speeds of
13wpm and up, they know it well enough that they will not forget it. They
may get rusty by it will still be there.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 30th 04, 05:06 AM
David 01

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"David 01" wrote in message
[...]

The sound alikes just started pooping into my head after all those years, I
just had to straighten 1 or 2 up that I confused a little upon starting
back, I don't remember which ones they were now. Maybe it was just because
of the sound alike for W that I confused it by itself until I corrected my
brain and copied for about 30 minutes. The CodeQuick sound alikes were what
came back to me and of course with those I had the code and at about the
same speed as I left off. Actually I couldn't tell any difference at all
with the speed.

David

Old April 1st 04, 12:52 AM
hoggwild89

I learned morse code in the early 80's. (ex KA2RLB). I was an avid ham for
years. I loved contesting, rtty, cw. I never really got much past 20wpm. But
I loved ragchewing in the novice bands where I could pick and choose a
comfortable speed. I was totaly inactive for about 10-12 years and recently
was re-bitten by the "ham radio bug" and obtained a ts430s. Wow, how fast
the cw came back to me!
There have been a lot of changes in ham radio in the last 10 years, mostly
due to computers.
the one thing that has not really changed is morse readers. They still
suck!! hihi.
Then I find out the whole license structure and cw thing. Ok... It sort of
saddend my heart a bit.
Kind of like an end of an era. CW is an antiquated form of communication, no
doubt, however I think there will be CW enthusiasts for many, many years.
People that are steeped in tradidtion. To remember radios early days, etc..
Occasionaly I find myself talking to young kids and (If I can manipulate)
the conversation turns to morse code (wink) I start rattleing thier name off
in morse code (spoken) Dahdidah Didah Da Didididit Dahdidahda, etc etc. Most
kids think its fun when you explain it like it learning a "secret language"
that isnt really to hard to learn!
So......where are all the CW'rs going to be???? I truley think, even if CW
gets totaly abolished it will be around forever.
Just my 2 cents

N2EIK

Dahdidah

"Your never really alone with a schizophrenic."
An unknown comedian.

..

"Doug Birky" wrote in message
[...]

Dee D. Flint wrote in message
gy.com...

Old April 19th 04, 03:24 AM
Darlanth

"hoggwild89" wrote in
:

[...]

Personaly I just got my licence o 4-17-2004 and there was a fairly good
debate going on about this exact subject.

Heres what the end result was the 5 wpm code should open up CW ONLY
freq. but not limit any other freq you should be allowed to go to extra
with no code but not able to operate on the code freq. as far as the
computer generated CW yes you could argue that but in the event of an
emergancy can you build a telegraph key or a computer? personaly im a no
code tech right now but i plan to take my general then study the code
and take it mainly for tradition and en case there is no other way to
communicate if i can get a message to someone in code even at 5wpm at
least i got my message out.

Why Internet radio will "arrive" this year Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 January 5th 05 05:43 PM
Re; Where will you CW'rs go when the NO-CODERS arrive? I Am Not George Policy 0 February 29th 04 09:53 PM
No Heaven for CW coders Clint Policy 21 September 24th 03 10:42 PM
No Heaven for CW coders N2EY Policy 3 September 20th 03 12:50 PM
No Heaven for CW coders garigue Policy 0 September 17th 03 09:52 PM