Old April 9th 04, 07:32 PM
oldgoat

Default Antenna Grounding

Guys I want to mount a 4ft fiberglass unit on the mirror bracket of my F150.
Will a grounding strap work as well as if I mounted it directly to the metal
body. any issues you know of that i should consider

Old April 9th 04, 09:06 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , "oldgoat"
wrote:

Guys I want to mount a 4ft fiberglass unit on the mirror bracket of my F150.
Will a grounding strap work as well as if I mounted it directly to the metal
body. any issues you know of that i should consider

There are three common issues with a mirror-mount. First, some mirror brackets
are mounted with a rubber gasket seperating it from the door. That gasket must
be removed or bypassed. (I recently heard the suggestion to use soft lead sheet
for a mirror bracket gasket -- can't say if it works or not but it sounds like
an interesting idea). The second problem is the door-to-chassis ground
connection, which should be a flexible grounding strap because the hinges are
usually greased and don't make a very good RF connection. The third issue is
with the coax. It must be mounted so it doesn't get bent, pinched, scraped, or
fatigued by repeated use of the door. When you figure out that last one, let the
rest of us know how you did it, eh?

Old April 10th 04, 12:36 AM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
The third issue is with the coax. It must be
mounted so it doesn't get bent, pinched, scraped, or fatigued by repeated
use of the door. When you figure out that last one, let the rest of us
know how you did it, eh?

Especially the length needed.
Old April 10th 04, 12:40 AM
Steveo

"oldgoat" wrote:
Guys I want to mount a 4ft fiberglass unit on the mirror bracket of my
F150. Will a grounding strap work as well as if I mounted it directly to
the metal body. any issues you know of that i should consider

You should be ok, the swr meter will tell you. Beware of tree limbs
and such.
Old April 10th 04, 03:20 AM
oldgoat

Thanks for the help so far. I was planning to run the cable through the
bellows style hose that runs between the door and the body, it has the
speaker wires in it. Iam thinking the cable will only be about 4 feet at
most. I am going to mount the unit on the top of the dash.

Old April 10th 04, 03:21 AM
Steveo

Is it a truck?

--
I'll never smoke weed with Willie again. - Toby

Old April 10th 04, 06:52 PM
Massive Black Hole

oldgoat wrote:
you're kidding right. yea it's a truck

"Steveo" wrote in message
Is it a truck?

Is it a Ford Truck?

--
_________________
Sagittarius A*

Old April 10th 04, 09:44 PM
Silicoal

Is it a Ford Truck?

hey ****tard,he said it was an f150,thats a ford. ignorant
Old April 11th 04, 12:42 AM
Oil Leak

Silicoal wrote:
Is it a Ford Truck?

hey ****tard,he said it was an f150,thats a ford. ignorant

Complete and properly executed sentences please, SPANKtard.

--
Harley, Harley; Made of Tin.