Old May 19th 04, 03:56 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Randy"
wrote:

snip
Well I have learned a tremendous amount about whine in a CB in the last
week. I stopped by a shop today to purchase a capacitor that I was going to
place on the alternator and the tech said he could fix the problem for
twenty dollars. I watched him open the unit, desolder a capacitor and
resolder a larger one in its place, he then shorted a couple of connections,
probably tweaking the unit. I figure he was doing the same thing I was going
to do but he did it inside the unit. I can just barely hear the whine ...
well worth twenty dollars.

He didn't fix the problem, he just covered it up for a fee. It would
cost you much less than twenty dollars to mount the radio properly,
which would eliminate the whine (as well as other noises that the
tech's 'fix' won't fix, as you will soon find out) -and- improve your
antenna's SWR.

I want to thank everyone for taking time to help me ... I did learn a lot
and I might put it to use when I have more time.

Better save these posts. You will need them in the future. You should
also do a radio check to see if your audio is clipping -- the tech's
'tweak' may have been to bypass your limiter, which will cause your
signal to splatter onto other channels.

Old May 19th 04, 03:57 AM
AKC KennelMaster

"Randy" wrote in message

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
In , "Randy" wrote:

snip
Actually the header is aluminum and part of the cab, not bolted or

riveted.

Then you might get a fairly good ground right there. Bolt the bracket

right to
the aluminum and run the black power lead to one of the bracket bolts,

cutting
the wire as short as possible (no longer than six inches should be

fine).

After working with it today I feel the alternator is the primary

problem.
Since I have no ignition and no whine with the key in the ON position

(Fuel
Pump), the alternator seems to be the culprit. I have been reading

about
installing a micro_farad capacitor between the alternator and ground in
order to steady the voltage thus reducing the whine. I understand the

theory
but could use some feedback about the practical application.

I feel this might be my least time consuming and least expensive

solution.

You could try that, too. Find yourself a 'motor run' (NOT a 'motor

start')
capacitor of around 1 to 5 uF. They usually have tabs for terminals so

you
can
use crimp connectors, and they can be mounted just about anywhere with a

cable
clamp. Mount it as close as possible to the alternator, or even right on

the
alternator if possible. Run one wire to the output and the other to

ground,
again keeping the wires as short as possible. The capacitor is not

polarized so
it doesn't matter which terminal goes to ground.

But know that some regulators are messed up by putting a cap across the
alternator. If you screw up your engine, don't blame me.

Well I have learned a tremendous amount about whine in a CB

Not from Geo, but that's OK. He's useless, except for tax purposes.

Old May 19th 04, 04:16 AM
Randy

wrote:

[...]

Yes , I have already noticed alot of background noise where there was none
before.

I have already saved all of these post. When I have more time I will apply
what I have learned. You will probably hear from me again

Old May 19th 04, 01:01 PM
Steveo

"Keith Hosman" wrote:
"Keith KC8TCQ" callsign @ qrz dot com wrote in message
I've installed a few roof-mounts, but GM seems to be stingy when it
comes

steel. If you don't reinforce the roof with some 0.064 or better it
goes

'pong'
whenever you go above 20 mph.

My 75 Dodge I had a 102" whip with 4 inch spring mounted dead center
of the the front rail of the bed right behind the cab, and to keep it
from slapping into the back of the cab I put a tennis ball on the whip
just below the roof of the cab. Worked like a charm with my old 148
GTL.

A friend of mine tried using a mag mount antenna on the roof of his
S-10, only problem is, he used a fiberglass whip which was a bit too
heavy and not flexible enough, combined with a weak mag mount. End
result, a Semi passed him, blew the antenna off the roof, it (the
magnet) came smashing through the rear window and gave him a
concussion.

I too have used stud mounts and reinforced the body with washers and
sheet steel. worked great.

Dumbest installation I have ever seen, a guy bought an older S-10 4x4, it
needed some body work but not much, he went out and bought a roll bar,
had lights mounted on it, and mounted his antennas on it. It looked
really sharp, Only one problem, he never got around to actually mounting
the roll bars to his truck, one day he took off from a stop light in
Toledo trying to act like Mr Bada$$ leaving Franklin Park Mall, his roll
bars flew right out of the bed taking the lights and antenna with them.

DOH! The weekend warrior stirkes again..did he kick a hole in the
muffler to make it sound race?

--
And it's twice as hard on my stride
When I take a day and let it ride. - Paul Cotton.

Old May 19th 04, 03:27 PM
Twistedhed

What started it? N8wwm getting his clock cleaned after harassing cbers
for discussing various aspects of radio. His butties KC8LDO, N7VCF,
WA3MOJ and N3CVJ all ran to defend him and his (felonious) law breaking
ways while harassing others. They pushed too hard and sealed their own
reputations as law breaking lids and have been angry ever since. They
blame everyone else for their self-created misery and take no
responsibility for their own actions. Hence their tired acts of trying
to get off-topic personal information on those they are unable to debate
intelligently. When the tables are turned, they begin to menstruate all
over this group. They have always been able to dish it out but must be
forced to swallow their own bitter prescription of what entertains their
double-digit feebled minds.

Old May 19th 04, 04:05 PM
Keith Hosman

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Keith Hosman" wrote:
[...]

No idea, but you see alot of these fools around here, I saw a guy here in
Napoleon who took a mint condition 70 Corvette, and turned it into a jacked
up 4x4, modified the frame all to hell ect. This thing is literally so far
off the ground he has a rope ladder rolled up inside the door, when he opens
the door, he pulls the release, the rope ladder unrolls and he climbs up. He
even painted it some god awful orange color. I'll try to take a picture of
it next time he has it parked up at Family Video.

Old May 19th 04, 04:26 PM
Steveo

"Keith Hosman" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Keith Hosman" wrote:
[...]

Sheesh, a west viginia vette modification if I've ever heard of one..

Did he put is the gun rack? g
Old May 19th 04, 06:30 PM
Keith Hosman

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Keith Hosman" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Keith Hosman" wrote:
[...]

No idea, but I'll suggest it to him when I see gim heheh

Old May 20th 04, 03:25 AM
Randy

Hello Frank

Can you recommend a book or two that will teach me about CB
fundamentals, repairing and tweaking?

I have an little electronic background and even own an oscilloscope. I
think that if I learn the workings of a CB from the ground up it will be
easier for me to troubleshoot them. The first book should be very basic so I
can get the fundamentals down before diving off into the deep end.

Thanks