Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 12th 04, 04:38 AM
Jim Hampton

Default Someone goes to jail

Hello, gang

Sometimes we get into arguments. I know there have been a few times I
haven't been real pleasant, but hopefully we can get along. I am sending
this (I received this in my e-mail) just for everyone's perusal.

Although the sentence was for spam and not personal attacks, I wish we *all*
would consider that everyone here is a human being and likely a radio
enthusiast. I have no problems with posts concerning facts (FCC fines
someone - whether cb or ham), but we really should try to avoid some of the
personal attacks. Just my opinion - hope some others feel the same, but
that is your choice.

******* message follows**********

Buffalo Spammer Sentenced to Jail
Reprinted from Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A New York state man who sent out millions of "spam"
e-mails has been sentenced to 3-1/2 to seven years in prison, the state
attorney general's office has said.

Howard Carmack, known as the "Buffalo Spammer," received the maximum
sentence for 14 counts of identity theft and forgery, a spokesman for New
York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer said on Thursday.

Carmack sent out 825 million bulk e-mail messages using stolen identities
and forged addresses, the court found, and was the first defendant to face
charges under the state's new identity-theft statute.

He was found guilty in April.

The forgery conviction fetched the longest sentence, while the other
convictions drew shorter sentences of one year to four years. All will be
served concurrently, Spitzer spokesman Brad Maione said.

Carmack could be out in 3-1/2 should he behave in prison, Maione said.

Internet provider EarthLink won a $16.5 million US judgment against Carmack
last year, and EarthLink officials testified in the criminal trial as well.

"We're satisfied that today's sentencing sends a strong message to spammers,
and EarthLink will continue to investigate spammers and work with law
enforcement," said EarthLink assistant general counsel Karen Cashion in a
statement.

Unwanted bulk messages now account for roughly 83 percent of e-mail traffic,
according to filtering company Postini.

Many of Carmack's alleged activities are illegal under a national anti-spam
law that took effect in January, seven months after he was charged.

*********end message********

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim

---