Old June 25th 04, 11:57 PM
Chris

Default Noise in '92 Grand Voyager

I just installed a CB radio in a 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager. All went smoothe
except for one thing. There is something in the van causing a great deal of
noise in the receive on certain channels. It sounds like a constant
mid-frequency tone. It comes on when the ignition switch is turned on but
remains on for 15 minutes or so after the switch is turned back off. When I
listen under the hood, I can hear a faint noise from something electronic
there. It is the same pitch as what I hear in the CB. When that noise quits,
the CB noise quits. Could it be the fuel pump or injectors? Someone please
help me locate the source of this noise. If I know what it is, I can deal
with it better.

Thanks,
Chris

Old June 26th 04, 03:02 AM
GMpartsguy

Minivan pumps are as noisy as a Dremel. Start the van and go sit in the
liftgate area or anywhere behind the vehicle. Something that is buzzing for
15 minutes after the vehicle is shut off aint right. When you turn the key
to on, before you start it, the fuel pump will run for a few seconds to
pressurize the system.
Ignition and fuel pump noise in the radio have never been a problem in my
vehicles, so someone else can tell you how to chase it out of those S body
vans.

Old June 27th 04, 02:17 PM
Chris

"Steveo" wrote in message
| "Chris" wrote:
| I just installed a CB radio in a 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager. All went
| smoothe except for one thing. There is something in the van causing a
| great deal of noise in the receive on certain channels. It sounds like a
| constant mid-frequency tone. It comes on when the ignition switch is
| turned on but remains on for 15 minutes or so after the switch is turned
| back off. When I listen under the hood, I can hear a faint noise from
| something electronic there. It is the same pitch as what I hear in the
| CB. When that noise quits, the CB noise quits. Could it be the fuel pump
| or injectors? Someone please help me locate the source of this noise. If
| I know what it is, I can deal with it better.
|
| Thanks,
| Chris
|
| Electric fan?

Nope.

Old June 27th 04, 06:14 PM
Road Warrior

Steveo wrote:
"Chris" wrote:
There is something in the van causing a
great deal of noise in the receive on certain channels.

Electric fan?

Wife's vibrator with DC car adapter?

--
_____________________________________
Hotel sheets, rental cars, late flights, fast food.

Old June 29th 04, 03:25 PM
Gary Danaher

Did you wire the radio directly to the battery with the appropriate
fuses? Betteries act as a wonderful filter.

Old June 29th 04, 07:30 PM
Chris

It's not wired directly now but I tried it. The noise is coming through the
antenna, which is on the hood. The source is the body control module. I'm
not sure what it does but the engine runs without it. I may have to go with
a short antenna on the roof because it has to clear parking garages.

Chris

Old July 8th 04, 07:13 AM
Chris

The noise was from the transmission control module. I solved it with a 150pf
capacitor between the 12 V supply line of the TCM and ground. The
capacitance and length of wire were both critical.

Chris
link.net...