Old August 28th 04, 06:24 AM
RF Police

Default Illegal linear Sparky

2.5K...hmmm. BAD ham!
Hello, I have a Like New, one owner Ameritron AL-1200 Amp for 10-160 meters.
I have only used it a handful of times on 17 meters. When I bought it from
AES 2 years ago, I had an Electrical Engineering friend come down to test
it, as I am visully impaired. It did about 2.5 KW into a Oil Filled Dummy
Load. I keep it covered when not in use and I am a non-smoker. I had a deal
and he couldn't come up with the money, but it is all packed in its original
boxes. I am asking $1800 and I will ship, or 1725, and you ship from near
Pgh, Pa. I can be reached at or 724-875-9357 Thanks for
reading this, 73, es g.b.

Regards,
Marty, W3QK

Old August 28th 04, 11:12 PM
M-Tech

"I Am Not George" wrote in message
m...

marty you must be visually impaired becasue this is a cb newsgroup and
linears are illegal for cb

Linears are not illegal for CB.

Don

ps, unless they push more than 5 watts!!!!!

Old August 29th 04, 12:59 AM
NO SPAM

According to the FCC Web site

Operations
Equipment
Territorial Limits
Linear Amplifier Ban
Antennas
Ten Codes

47 CFR 95 Subpart D prescribes all operating requirements which apply
to CB. General system technical details and major operational regulations
are highlighted below.

Equipment

You must use an FCC certificated CB transmitter at your CB station.
You can identify an FCC certificated transmitter by the certification label
placed on it by the manufacturer.

Territorial Limits

You may operate your CB unit within the territorial limits of the
fifty United States, the District of Columbia, and the Caribbean and Pacific
Insular areas ("U.S."). You may also operate your CB on or over any other
area of the world, except within the territorial limits of areas where
radio-communications are regulated by another agency of the U.S. or within
the territorial limits of any foreign government. You may also be permitted
to use your CB unit in Canada subject to the rules of Industry Canada.
Travelers to the U.S. may operate a CB unit within the U.S. as long the unit
is FCC certificated.

Linear Amplifier Ban

Users may not raise the power output of their CB units. That would be
unfair to the other users sharing the channel by raising the level of radio
noise. You must not attach a "linear," "linear amplifier" or any other type
of power amplifier to your CB unit, Moreover, you must not modify your CB
unit internally. Doing so cancels its certification and you forfeit your
authorization to use it.

Attached Images
File Type: gif spacer.gif (67 Bytes, 48 views)
File Type: gif arrow.gif (116 Bytes, 55 views)
File Type: gif d2header_fade-end.gif (113 Bytes, 56 views)
Old August 29th 04, 01:31 AM
M-Tech

Only if the linear "raises the power of the cb". Did you scroll down on my
original post:-) ??

Don

io.net...

Old August 29th 04, 02:24 AM
jim

M-Tech wrote:

Only if the linear "raises the power of the cb". Did you scroll down on my
original post:-) ??

Don

in this thread?
where would a cb radio need a linear to get 4 watts out? please explain.

Old August 29th 04, 03:14 AM
NO SPAM

If I understood your comment as well as the PS you added, it seems to me, it
would be kind of ridiculous to insert some sort of low level Linear "in to"
a transmitter to jack it up to 4 watts or more, don't you think? By the time
you get done screwing around doing that, you could by a damned radio with
rated output or one of the 10 meter radios that can put out more than the
rated legal power, if you want to go that route. The FCC web site also
states it is illegal to modify the insides to do same - so either way, it
would be technically illegal. It is a moot point in any way shape or form to
discuss raising the RF power out of a CB past legal limits regardless how it
is to be done, internally or externally. I suppose we're both saying the
same thing in a different way!

NS

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Only if the linear "raises the power of the cb". Did you scroll down on

my
original post:-) ??

Don

io.net...

Old August 29th 04, 03:28 AM
M-Tech

....for goodness sake, IT WAS A JOKE SON!!!

Don

io.net...

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Only if the linear "raises the power of the cb". Did you scroll down

on
my
original post:-) ??

Don

io.net...

Old August 29th 04, 03:36 AM
M-Tech

Yeah, in this thread. My first reply simply states that "linears" are not
illegal in CB. And if you scroll down far enough, you'll see the punch
line. And the fact that no one makes(to the best of my knowledge)a 4 watt
linear, was the "play" in my sarcasm.

Call it a failed attempt at humor:-) Although, technically, it IS true.

Don

"jim" wrote in message
t...

Old August 29th 04, 03:52 AM
NO SPAM

OK, well, in that case - please refer to your reply to Jim regarding your
ill fated attempt at humor! That was a better response.

NS

"M-Tech" wrote in message
...for goodness sake, IT WAS A JOKE SON!!!

Don

io.net...

"M-Tech" wrote in message
Only if the linear "raises the power of the cb". Did you scroll down

on
my
original post:-) ??

Don

io.net...

Old August 29th 04, 04:31 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:48:53 GMT, "Hamguy" wrote in
:

Ya...but it does MORE than the allowed 1500 watts PEP, therefore it's
illegal.

For a "hamguy" you sure don't know the ham rules very well.

Soon to updated, more episodes to follow CoaxLengthPolice CB 1 April 9th 04 05:29 PM
The updated "Whole Story"...much more accurate RichardHead28 CB 0 February 7th 04 12:16 AM
Blast from our AKC past WA3MOJ CB 30 February 1st 04 05:14 PM
Blast from the past... Randy CB 4 February 1st 04 04:26 AM
The whole story... GeorgeSparkyVoob CB 4 September 20th 03 12:56 PM