Old September 29th 04, 02:00 AM
Steveo

"Landshark" wrote:
Did you get the pictures I sent you?

Landshark

Yep sure did. Lookin' GREAT man! I intended to send you an email back
but I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger today..just got
home.
Old September 29th 04, 02:31 AM
Steveo

(Twistedhed) wrote:
From:
(Steveo)
(Twistedhed) wrote:
From:
(Steveo)
Did I ever show you the pic of my Charger winning the burnout contest?
http://img8.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img8&image=mobmain.jpg
_
How did all that white smoke come about with no pavement? Super cool
photo!
_

(Hi Twist, the back tires are on a big ole steel plate that has been
watered down right before the burnout..there's no traction at all.)

Ha,,,,,betcha that smelled like, like,,,,,,big fun. Only thing missing
was the RF drag race on another launching pad.

_
Speaking of pics, my buddy was here form West Palm (evacuee from Jeanne)
and when the damn storm came here (we are still without electric and I'm
on a generator so I probably won't be around again until the electric
gets turned on) he took some super pics of the palm trees on my property
during the eye-wall. When he gets back home and sends them to me, I'll
post them.

_
(Cool, do you have a generator down there for when you lose power?
_
Absolutely. Using a Troy-Built now..only 3550 watts, 6.75 HP....but it's
plenty enough to run the fridge, clothes washer, big screen (wife can't
do without her 24 hour local news channel), box fan, cb/hammie radio and
the most important of all,,,,,the coffee maker in the morning.I'm going
to buy a quieter (and larger) Honda model in the future, maybe a prtable
A/C unit, too. This Troy-Bilt is way too loud. Kind of neat when a large
load is placed on it though, it never chugs, just "shifts gears" by
changing the pitch of the engine. It delivers excellent performance..too
bad it wasn't quieter. BTW, our power was restored late last night,,many
still without power.

Yea, I have a 5K that is really LOUD! It works fine but you can't be
near it because of the noise. My friend had a Honda at the Bristol
Nascar race that we ran 3 campers off of. You could sit right next
to that thing it was so quiet. Really a nice unit.

Glad you got your power back.
Old September 29th 04, 04:02 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:10:17 GMT, "AKC Supreme Being"
wrote in
:

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:16:11 GMT, "I am not george,
itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge are morons!"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
news On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:43:37 -0400, (Twistedhed)
wrote in :

snip
.....I'm going
to buy a quieter (and larger) Honda model in the future, maybe a prtable
A/C unit, too. This Troy-Bilt is way too loud.

Just a suggestion: Shop around carefully for a generator. Most of the
'portables' and many of the commercial gensets on the market are junk.

Why is that Frank? Are they way overrated for continuous duty? Too much
heat? What? I've not maxed one out enough to have a failure, but was
wondering what to watch for.

Well, the worst I've seen are some of the Colemans with the plastic
end-bell, which is about as dumb as AMC's plastic valve cover, and
with more destructive results (got a B&S in the garage from a Coleman
with a shattered rod, bent crankshaft and the cam snapped in half).
Some brushless heads have problems due to less-than-robust rectifiers
in the rotors, which are a bitch to replace. Some seemingly high-end
generators are mated to motors that are not designed for such use.
Some have poor regulation, some have proprietary connectors, some have
limited voltage configurations, etc, etc, etc. What I'm saying is that
if you are going to buy a generator, do your homework first or you are
likely to have problems.

Suggestions on better models? I have a really old Pincor with almost no
regulation, and was thinking I may replace it with a better model so that I
can feel a bit more comfortable plugging electronics into it. I always check
this old thing with a voltmeter to make sure it's not overvolting.

There is a hard-drive full of generator FAQs on the net, as well as
thousands of posts telling of personal experiences with various makes
and models. So I won't even try to make a list. But there are a few
things I have learned over the years:

Electric start is nice, but make sure it has a backup starting method.

A 4-pole generator runs at 1800 rpm which effectivley quadruples the
engine life over 2-pole generators, which run at 3600 rpm.

If the rotor is a brush-type, make sure it uses 4 brushes. Many
generators only have 2 brushes which makes for lots of RFI.

Some generators (especially brushless generators) are regulated only
by the speed of the motor. That's fine if you only want to run power
tools and light bulbs.

Make sure the motor has a pressurized oil system w/filter. Otherwise
you will have to change the oil every 8-10 hours. It also increases
the life of the motor by at least 10 times.

This may not be easy, but try to find a generator head that has two
seperate 115VAC windings (4-wire) as opposed to a center-tapped single
230VAC winding (3-wires). Suppose the generator has two outputs for
20A @ 115VAC. If it's a 4-wire generator you can parallel the two
115VAC windings for a total of 40A from a single output. This is
important because it will provide more surge current for things like
electric motors in freezers, washing machines, etc, which need lots of
starting current or they will burn out from slow starts (leaving the
generator to run happily along as if it wasn't responsible). But if
it's a 3-wire generator, you're stuck with 20A and run the risk of
burning up your furnace blower motor (ask me how I know!).

Keep a stock of spare parts, especially the brushes, bearings, diodes,
capacitors and filters. That way you can fix it when you -need- to fix
it, not when the hardware store opens back up after power is restored.
If these parts aren't available when you buy the generator, don't buy
it.

One more thing: Run it once in a while! Too many people run their
generators once, put them in the garage for months or even years, then
pull them out to find that the battery has solidified into a beautiful
blue-green mass of crystals, or the motor is frozen, or the carb is
gummed up because they didn't drain the bowl.

Old September 29th 04, 06:05 AM
Landshark

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Landshark" wrote:
Did you get the pictures I sent you?

Landshark

Yep sure did. Lookin' GREAT man! I intended to send you an email back
but I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger today..just got
home.

Likewise, I was moving furniture for
my brother in law tonight. Putting the top
back on Thursday, don't want to wait for
rain to put it on.
Man, it was so cool hauling the Buell
behind the Bronco for Street Vibrations,
nothing but thumbs up the whole way there
and back. Went early Saturday morning to
Virginia City, got there around 8:30am, only
around 2 hundred bikes. Left around 11:30am,
some 7,000+ bikes, a 4 mile line of bikes coming
up and over the hill into Virginia City.

Landshark

--
__
o /' )

Old September 29th 04, 11:15 AM
Steveo

"Landshark" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Landshark" wrote:
Did you get the pictures I sent you?

Landshark

Yep sure did. Lookin' GREAT man! I intended to send you an email back
but I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger today..just got
home.

Likewise, I was moving furniture for
my brother in law tonight. Putting the top
back on Thursday, don't want to wait for
rain to put it on.
Man, it was so cool hauling the Buell
behind the Bronco for Street Vibrations,
nothing but thumbs up the whole way there
and back. Went early Saturday morning to
Virginia City, got there around 8:30am, only
around 2 hundred bikes. Left around 11:30am,
some 7,000+ bikes, a 4 mile line of bikes coming
up and over the hill into Virginia City.

Landshark

Sounds like a fun combo, Buell and Bronco. 7000 bikes wow!

Old September 29th 04, 02:04 PM
Chad Wahls

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:10:17 GMT, "AKC Supreme Being"
wrote in
:

. ..

wrote in :

[...]

Corporate radio plants are getting rid of their old gas gennies that they
used to power their transmitter shack and going to diesel to power the whole
plant, offices and all. The station I worked for just got rid of a 200A
single phase Onan 6 cylinder for the price of the title transfer and
delivery (dirt cheap) this also included the automatic transfer switch. and
wiring to transfer switch

I wish I would have jumped on that. I just moved from the city to, well,
Bum **** Egypt and I know my power will fail this winter.

The cool thing about gas over diesel at this point is that gas engines can
be converted to propane and I have a big ass propane tank.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Watch Radio World it's a trade rag for
broadcast engineers, there's always a couple in there.

Chad

Old September 29th 04, 04:58 PM
Twistedhed

From: =A0=A0 Frank Gilliland
Group: =A0=A0 rec.radio.cb
Subject: =A0=A0 OT ping Jim
Date: =A0=A0 Tue, Sep 28, 2004, 12:19pm (EDT-3) X-Trace: =A0=A0
corp.newsgroups.com 1096399093 216.64.140.196 (28 Sep 2004 14:18:13
-0500) X-Comments: =A0=A0 This message was posted through A href
UNCENSORED Newsgroups.
wrote in :
snip
.....I'm going
to buy a quieter (and larger) Honda model in the future, maybe a prtable
A/C unit, too. This Troy-Bilt is way too loud.

_
(Just a suggestion: Shop around carefully for a generator. Most of the
'portables' and many of the commercial gensets on the market are junk.
BTW, did you get my last email? )

-----=3D=3D Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =3D-----

-
Any suggestions? What say you of the Honda's? I like the Troy-Bilt but
its way too loud.
Yea, I got it,,,,,as I said, I'm slammed right now, but I most certainly
am going to do some digging when I'm caught up,,,,probably another week
or two.

Old September 29th 04, 05:45 PM
Twistedhed

Kennelmaster of rec.radio's puppy pound, wrote:
Same way you northern folks feel down here in the summer when the temp
is 98 and the humidity is two percent above that! ;-)
_
Oh yea, that. We call that APRILMAYJUNEJULYAUGUSTSEPTEMBER
You can always tell the newbie tourists,,,,they stay in the water all
day to avoid the heat and try and cool off. You can recognize them by
the white gobs of sun block their wives smear on them in the late
afternoon on top of their lobster-like appearance, but by then it is too
late. They are usually in the emergency room by 9:00 PM, hungry, because
they didn't have dinner due to the hours of ambivalance spent deciding
whether or not to go to the ER, agreeing to go and seek treatment only
when the blisters begin to appear when the sun goes down. These type
yanks never return and marvelously blame their amazing and miserable
experience on the state itself. 'Ol Sol serves as a sort of weeding
process at times g.

Old September 29th 04, 05:54 PM
Twistedhed

From: (Steveo)
(Twistedhed) wrote:
From:
(Steveo)
(Twistedhed) wrote: From:
[...]
That's the type generator I'm talking about. Glad to know someone that
actually had an experience with one, 'cause I never tried them. I think
I may rent one for a weekend to take camping to get a better feel for
it.

Old September 29th 04, 06:02 PM
Twistedhed

Frank Gilliland wrote:
[...]

Haha,,,,that sucks! I'm chuckling because for a moment there you had me
calculating the price of a new washer, even though this one is only a
few years old. I guess the Troy-Bilt was made for this stuff, 'cause I
ran several other things while the washer cycled.

-
(Keep a stock of spare parts, especially the brushes, bearings, diodes,
capacitors and filters. That way you can fix it when you -need- to fix
it, not when the hardware store opens back up after power is restored.
If these parts aren't available when you buy the generator, don't buy
it.
One more thing: Run it once in a while! Too many people run their
generators once, put them in the garage for months or even years, then
pull them out to find that the battery has solidified into a beautiful
blue-green mass of crystals, or the motor is frozen, or the carb is
gummed up because they didn't drain the bowl.)
-----==

Thanks Frank,,,now I need to bone up on these brushes and les you speak
of,,eventually.

Ping No One Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 4 September 2nd 04 06:46 PM
looking for old ping / pinger sound mrjiggs TB-2 or TB-2N module's k2000 CB 1 July 19th 04 08:17 AM
WTB: Looking for old Pinger / browning radio immitation ping k2000 CB 0 June 18th 04 06:25 AM
Ping Train Steveo CB 7 May 2nd 04 03:18 AM
Ping away assclowns Citizens For A Keyclown-Free Newsgroup CB 20 October 18th 03 04:17 PM