Old October 9th 04, 11:48 PM
Alex

Default got my wilson 1000 have question

In the box came the magnet mount of course, but also a round flat
steel donut looking thing that was attached to the magnet mount
seperated by a piece of cardboard. Am i supposed to put this under the
magnet mount before i put it on the vehicle. If not what is it for.
Old October 10th 04, 01:19 AM
sideband

Alex:

That's there for shipping, to keep the magnet base in place. DON't put
it in the mount before putting it on the vehicle. It will scratch the
crap out of your paint.

You can use it to throw at people who want to mess with your car.
::grin:: Otherwise, it'd make a great miniature picture frame for a
pic of your mother in law (I really did this), just as soon as you add
a "lid" for it, to make it look like a toilet seat. ::Smirk::

-SSB

Old October 10th 04, 02:00 AM
Alex

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:19:40 GMT, sideband wrote:

Alex:

That's there for shipping, to keep the magnet base in place. DON't put
it in the mount before putting it on the vehicle. It will scratch the
crap out of your paint.

You can use it to throw at people who want to mess with your car.
::grin:: Otherwise, it'd make a great miniature picture frame for a
pic of your mother in law (I really did this), just as soon as you add
a "lid" for it, to make it look like a toilet seat. ::Smirk::

-SSB

Thanks a bunch man. Should I adjust this antenna whip. I don't have
external swr meter right now, but should have one very soon. I hope it
doesn't mess anything up since I cant check it right now. I did check
it, and am going to again in a second with the built in SWR meter, but
I hear they are not accurate. Should I try several methods going up
and down with the antenna? Someone told me that i should drop it all
the way in. I've also been reading that going up or down with the
antenna brings in different signals, something to do with 11 meters
adjust the antenna..I wish i could find the site and maybe you would
know what I was talking about
Old October 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Alex

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:19:40 GMT, sideband wrote:

Here is the link. What does this mean?

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/cutting.htm
Old October 10th 04, 02:12 AM
sideband

Alex: Put the whip about halfway in, then check the SWR on channel 1
and then channel 40.

If the SWR is higher on 40 than it is on 1, shorten the whip (put it
into the base another 1/4 inch) and repeat the measurements on 1 and
40. When the SWR is about the same on 1 and 40, and below 2.0:1,
you'll be safe. You SHOULD see an SWR below 1.5:1 easily all the way
across the 40 channels. The SWR should also be lower on channel 19
than at the band edges (1 and 40) when you're done.

The internal SWR meter may or may not be accurate, but it'll at least
get you close.

Oh, make sure the doors are closed, etc, when you check the SWR...
Something as simple as having a door open can make a drastic difference.

-SSB

Old October 10th 04, 03:48 AM
Dr.X

"Alex" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:19:40 GMT, sideband wrote:

Here is the link. What does this mean?

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/cutting.htm

do NOT cut the antenna.

-Dr.X

Old October 10th 04, 04:07 PM
Lancer

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:01:52 -0400, Alex
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:19:40 GMT, sideband wrote:

Here is the link. What does this mean?

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/cutting.htm

Alex;
Try what SSB said. There may antenna installations that require
you to cut the whip. That is if you can't get the SWR down by
adjusting the length, and you know the antenna is too long (SWR is
lower on channel 1 than channel 40) you may have to trim it.
Try adjusting it first before you think about cutting it.
Old October 12th 04, 01:53 AM
Psychiatrist to keyclowns

Alex wrote:

In the box came the magnet mount of course, but also a round flat
steel donut looking thing that was attached to the magnet mount
seperated by a piece of cardboard. Am i supposed to put this under the
magnet mount before i put it on the vehicle. If not what is it for.

Or you can do like Christine Petabone does, and insert it into your rectal orifice.

Wilson 1000 question Alex CB 2 October 10th 04 04:37 PM
Newbie setup, & need opinions and ?'s about GPvsNGP Alex CB 2 October 9th 04 09:48 AM
Antenna Question Chris CB 0 August 5th 04 06:39 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM