RadioBanter

-   -   Leece Neville value (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/33474-leece-neville-value.html)

SideBand December 31st 04 05:44 AM

Psychiatrist to keyclowns wrote:
Not needed by anyone operating legally.

Really? I need two 150A alternators... and I operate quite legally, from
160 meters to 10 meters, plus 6, 2, 70cm, 1G, and 10G.

You might want to be a bit more succinct.

Besides, he might need them to power audio amps for his car stereo,
searchlights, lightbars, etc..

I didn't see any mention of what they'd be used for.. he just asked if
it'd be worth it.

-SSB

SideBand December 31st 04 05:45 AM

Programbo5 wrote:
Not needed by anyone operating legally.

Now you see right away you are thinking something negative..Since this is a
CB newsgroup maybe a lot of OTR truckers read here and might need a big
alternator for thier Freightliner or Peterbuilt

The internet is more than a global pornography network

Heh. There isn't a "u" in Peterbilt. ::grin::

SideBand December 31st 04 05:50 AM

From: (Programbo5)
I have a chance to pick up like 8 used 105 amp Leece Nevilles for $15 a
piece..Is this to low of an output to make it worth grabbing them and
attempting to turn around and sell them?..Thanks
The internet is more than a global pornography network
_
Can you refurbish them yourself or do you know someone that can help
you? If you answer yes to either question, grab them. Otherwise, they
could be scrap value only.

If he doesn't want them, I wouldn't mind two or three... Got ideas for
some more power in the truck, and having a couple to rework would be fun.

-SSB

Frank Gilliland December 31st 04 01:45 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:31:51 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

snip
When you quote someone else it's good practice to cite the source:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res00d4r/a...ternator_Theor
y.html

Sorry frank i didnt use that web page as my source.

http://members.1stconnect.com/anozir...nator/alternat
or.htm

Same difference. Author unknown, date unknown. Anonymous authority.

The problem is that the output is far from being "DC of great purity".
The battery is used as a capacitor to smooth the ripple, just like the
filter capacitor in a power supply.

With all this discussion I'm getting ideas for a different type of
alternator: one output for the electrical system and another for an
independent battery charging system. And the battery charging system
could have outputs for both starting and deep-cycle batteries, with
remote temperature control and optional desulfator......... Ok, I'm
dreaming. But I'm definitely going to build an external regulator and
trash that micro-chip garbage that's in it now.

Twistedhed December 31st 04 03:49 PM

From: (SideBand)
Twistedhed wrote:
From:
(Programbo5)
I have a chance to pick up like 8 used 105 amp Leece Nevilles for $15 a
piece..Is this to low of an output to make it worth grabbing them and
attempting to turn around and sell them?..Thanks
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0The internet is more than a global
pornography network
_
Can you refurbish them yourself or do you know someone that can help
you? If you answer yes to either question, grab them. Otherwise, they
could be scrap value only.

If he doesn't want them, I wouldn't mind two or
three... Got ideas for some more power in the

truck, and having a couple to rework would be

fun.

-SSB

Go for it! I'm still wating for you to get that all-too-rare trip down
to the southland and get in my receive.

Frank Gilliland January 1st 05 01:48 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:26:39 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

snip
Use a Pulse width modulator and some fet's

......uh, I don't think so. Efficiency is far less important to me than
eliminating possible RFI or regulator failure. I have a lot of MJ11028
power Darlingtons and a pair of those should do the job just fine.

Frank Gilliland January 1st 05 06:46 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:05:33 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:26:39 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

snip
Use a Pulse width modulator and some fet's

.....uh, I don't think so. Efficiency is far less important to me than
eliminating possible RFI or regulator failure. I have a lot of MJ11028
power Darlingtons and a pair of those should do the job just fine.

so why would a pwm and some fets on the outputs be any different. I have
never seen rfi or failure due to these components, and a good designer
would add filter caps to the circuit where needed.

PWM tl494 and some P channel fet's would work flawlessly.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tl494.html

Why would I convert from a switching regulator to another switching
regulator? That doesn't make sense. I want linear regulation because
switching regulators generate square waves; i.e, noise. Also, FETs in
switching regulators aren't just FETs, they're MOSFETs, and I wouldn't
trust a MOSFET in any harsh environment, let alone under the hood of
my truck.

And BTW, nothing works "flawlessly", especially MOSFET's.

Or you could go with 1-tip36c which would be more than adequate you
wouldn't need 2 MJ11028's

First, a single MJ11028 can handle the same collector current as -two-
TIP36C's. Second, the hfe of the TIP36C is 25 compared to a minimum of
400 for the MJ11028, so the latter doesn't require a power transistor
to drive it. Third, the transistion frequency of the TIP36C is 3MHz,
meaning it can be prone to oscillation -especially- in any application
where surges or spikes can occur; Darlingtons barely work above audio
frequencies. And most important, I don't have a TIP36C but I -do- have
a stock of MJ11028's.