Old February 11th 05, 10:00 PM
Vinnie S.

Default Ham test question

1. Is it a requirement to have passed the tech test, before taking the general?
Or can you just take the general?

2. Can you take the morse after the written (weeks)?

Vinnie S.
Old February 11th 05, 11:05 PM
No I Am Not Him

Vinnie S. wrote:
1. Is it a requirement to have passed the tech test, before taking

the general?
Or can you just take the general?

2. Can you take the morse after the written (weeks)?

Vinnie S.

Why worry about rules? After all, it's just like going 56 in a 55 mph
zone.

Old February 12th 05, 02:06 AM
K7MEM

Vinnie S. wrote:
1. Is it a requirement to have passed the tech test, before taking the general?
Or can you just take the general?

2. Can you take the morse after the written (weeks)?

Vinnie S.

Each license class is considered a different level and it is required
that you pass the previous level before you can use the privileges
of the next. But, as you asked, you can take any of the tests separately,
on different days or weeks apart. However, if you take and pass the
general test, and can not provide proof that you took the tech test
and the code test, you will not be granted the privileges of that level.

When you go to the testing station, you can take as many test as you
want for a single fee. For me it was $6.45. If you split it up, you
will be paying that same fee for each test. None of the tests are that
big of a deal. A month or two of studying the Qs and As and you should be
able to pass them all in one sitting. Go for the gold and go for the
extra test too. The big stumbling block was the 13 and 20 WPM
code tests, but they are all gone now.

For more information try "http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html".
All of the possible Qs and As are available there, as well.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.150m.com
Old February 12th 05, 02:27 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:06:35 -0700, K7MEM wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:
1. Is it a requirement to have passed the tech test, before taking the general?
Or can you just take the general?

2. Can you take the morse after the written (weeks)?

Vinnie S.

Each license class is considered a different level and it is required
that you pass the previous level before you can use the privileges
of the next.

Excellent. At least I got that straight.

But, as you asked, you can take any of the tests separately,
on different days or weeks apart. However, if you take and pass the
general test, and can not provide proof that you took the tech test
and the code test, you will not be granted the privileges of that level.

When you go to the testing station, you can take as many test as you
want for a single fee. For me it was $6.45. If you split it up, you
will be paying that same fee for each test. None of the tests are that
big of a deal. A month or two of studying the Qs and As and you should be
able to pass them all in one sitting.

Are the questions from the ARRL pool the only questions I will ever see?

Go for the gold and go for the
extra test too. The big stumbling block was the 13 and 20 WPM
code tests, but they are all gone now.

I just want to get to the general level for now. I want to learn the code, is it
5 wpm only know? I thought you needed 13 wpm for general? I have no desire to
use code, but will do so for the test. The only thing is that by the time I can
save up enough for a $1,500 HF all band tranceiver, code will be gone anyway. I
hope to have one by the next skip cycle in a few years.

Vinnie S.
Old February 12th 05, 02:57 AM
Caveat Lector

For the straight word on ham licensing and requirements -- see URL;
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html
General and Extra currently require a 5 wpm code test.

Once licensed to General or Extra, a used $350 HF transceiver will get you
on the air (100+ Watts) and if you make your own antenna -- add $3 or $4.

If and when the code requirement is deleted, the use of Morse code will
continue - as it is just another mode of operation, many will continue to
use it and newbies will find the advantages of it, so MORSE WILL live on.

The lower bands -- 160M, 80M, and 40M are not dependent on the "skip cycle".
30m will do well also in the off years but it is a CW and data mode only.

Caveat Lector (Reader Beware) - A Ham
Help The New Hams
Someone Helped You
Or did You Forget That ?

Someone wrote

Old February 12th 05, 03:18 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:57:35 -0800, "Caveat Lector" wrote:

For the straight word on ham licensing and requirements -- see URL;
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/classes.html
General and Extra currently require a 5 wpm code test.

Once licensed to General or Extra, a used $350 HF transceiver will get you
on the air (100+ Watts) and if you make your own antenna -- add $3 or $4.

Any specific model?

If and when the code requirement is deleted, the use of Morse code will
continue - as it is just another mode of operation, many will continue to
use it and newbies will find the advantages of it, so MORSE WILL live on.

I am not saying they should get rid of it. I am just saying I won't use it.
Sounds like they will get rid of the test in 2006 or so. I don't want to wait.
So I will study.

The lower bands -- 160M, 80M, and 40M are not dependent on the "skip cycle".
30m will do well also in the off years but it is a CW and data mode only.

Caveat Lector (Reader Beware) - A Ham
Help The New Hams
Someone Helped You
Or did You Forget That ?

Thanks !!!!

Vinnie S.
Old February 12th 05, 03:28 AM
Paul Johnson

Vinnie S. wrote:

The only thing is that by the time I can save up enough for a $1,500 HF
all band tranceiver, code will be gone anyway.

People have been saying that longer than I've been alive. That and the US
finally joining the rest of the world in the third millennium by adopting
the metric system. Will either ever happen? Probably not while I'm alive.

--
Paul Johnson

http://ursine.ca/~baloo/
Old February 12th 05, 04:14 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:28:58 -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

Vinnie S. wrote:

The only thing is that by the time I can save up enough for a $1,500 HF
all band tranceiver, code will be gone anyway.

People have been saying that longer than I've been alive. That and the US
finally joining the rest of the world in the third millennium by adopting
the metric system. Will either ever happen? Probably not while I'm alive.

That is why I am not going to wait. My ham friends told me likely 2006. I
personally have no idea. But apparently most other countries are dropping it,
and the IARU (I think), has requested it. But since the FCC is slow as **** in
moving with these ideas, I will just go ahead and get it. I will not use ith
though.

Vinnie S.
Old February 12th 05, 04:39 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
30m will do well also in the off years but it is a CW and data mode only.

You're also limited to 200 watts max on that band too, regardless of license
class or mode.
--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

Old February 12th 05, 04:51 AM
Leland C. Scott

Vinnie S. wrote:

The only thing is that by the time I can save up enough for a $1,500 HF
all band tranceiver, code will be gone anyway.

People have been saying that longer than I've been alive. That and the

US
finally joining the rest of the world in the third millennium by adopting
the metric system. Will either ever happen? Probably not while I'm

alive.

That is why I am not going to wait. My ham friends told me likely 2006. I
personally have no idea. But apparently most other countries are dropping

it,
and the IARU (I think), has requested it.

It has already been dropped by the ITU at the last WARC. The ITU left it up
to each individual country whether to keep the requirement or not.

But since the FCC is slow as **** in moving with these ideas,

Too bad they didn't with the BPL crap.

I will just go ahead and get it. I will not use ith
though.

Freedom of choice. That was one of the arguments being used get rid of the
Morse Code test requirement with the FCC; why test for something you're
never going to use. Of course the pro code people have points on their side
too. If you want more on this debate than your stomach can handle just
mention this topic on "rec.radio.amateur.policy" and see what happens!

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network