Old April 7th 05, 02:53 AM
user

Default Power levels?

So, are you guys who do DX on CB... what power levels do you use? 4W AM, or
12W SSB? When the skip is in, how far do you get on 4W AM vs. 12W SSB
(assuming a nice big antenna on your roof)? How about when the skip isn't
real good?

Just curious...

Old April 7th 05, 09:09 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:53:36 -0600, "user" wrote in
:

So, are you guys who do DX on CB... what power levels do you use? 4W AM, or
12W SSB? When the skip is in, how far do you get on 4W AM vs. 12W SSB
(assuming a nice big antenna on your roof)? How about when the skip isn't
real good?

Just curious...

The 11-meter band is very fickle. When skip is rolling, you can hear
just about anything that puts out a couple watts. When DX is dead,
it's dead regardless of how much power you run. For local chatter,
legal power for SSB is almost ideal because if you can hear a station,
you can usually hit it with 12 watts SSB.

Old April 9th 05, 11:49 PM
Professor

I agree... sometimes you can hear the skip great... have a couple
hundred watts... and get nobody. Other times you get someone calling
you when you're running legal power. The skip is extremely
unpredictable.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 8th 05, 08:25 AM
Chris

Most people who DX on AM run as much power as they can get their hands on.
I've heard of 20,000 watts but I think 200 - 1000 watts is common. On SSB,
I've talked around the world on 12 watts.

Chris

Old April 8th 05, 07:01 PM
Dave Hall

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:25:01 GMT, "Chris"
wrote:

Most people who DX on AM run as much power as they can get their hands on.
I've heard of 20,000 watts but I think 200 - 1000 watts is common. On SSB,
I've talked around the world on 12 watts.

Heh heh.....

Dave
"Sandbagger"