Old May 19th 05, 12:37 AM
John

Default Overdrive

Why is it that in the world of CBing that most users love to overdrive.
First they take a radio, cut the clipper out, add a mic with 10x tooo much
audio to the poor radio, then over drive a amplifier to full output (way
into compressiom) before any modulation is applied.
Now they should know they sound like crap.

Old May 19th 05, 12:49 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:37:22 -0500, "John" wrote in
:

Why is it that in the world of CBing that most users love to overdrive.
First they take a radio, cut the clipper out, add a mic with 10x tooo much
audio to the poor radio, then over drive a amplifier to full output (way
into compressiom) before any modulation is applied.
Now they should know they sound like crap.

They want to sound bad because it attracts far more attention than
anything they have to say.

Old May 19th 05, 01:45 AM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

From: (Frank=A0Gilliland)
On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:37:22 -0500, "John" wrote in
:
=A0They want to sound bad because it attracts

far more attention than anything they have to

say.

Unfortunately, I find some of that behavior here and there, also. But cb
use has picked up plenty in the area, especially since those three
little storms we had last year. They are having a tax free week here on
everything designated "hurricane supplies" and two way radios
qualify,,unfortunately, the radios have to be under thirty bucks, but
the hand held FRS and others are flying off the shelves. There is always
activity on those bands down here,,beaches, theme parks, car
caravans,...wait till echo starts showing up on those bands..whoops,,,I
think it already has.

Old May 19th 05, 06:47 AM
Leland C. Scott

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:45:51 -0400, I AmnotGeorgeBush wrote:

They are having a tax free week here on
everything designated "hurricane supplies" and two way radios
qualify,,unfortunately, the radios have to be under thirty bucks, but
the hand held FRS and others are flying off the shelves. There is always
activity on those bands down here,,beaches, theme parks, car
caravans,...wait till echo starts showing up on those bands..whoops,,,I
think it already has.

I would pick up MURS radios instead of the FRS type. They have a bit more
power and at VHF they will carry a bit further and you can use external
antennas too. The external antenna is nothing more that a slightly
modified Ham 2m type. You can't use external antennas on FRS radios.
Some combo FRS and GMRS types you might be able to do it, but they're
hard to find. Also depending on the model of MURS radio you may be able to
program in the local VHF weather channel on 162.xxx MHz.

So are you ready for the hurricane season? You got lucky last year I
think. I flew in to West Palm Beach about a month ago to drive out to the
Indiantown area. I saw plenty of roof work still being done as the plane
came in for a landing.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Old May 19th 05, 03:27 PM
I AmnotGeorgeBush

From: (Leland=A0C.=A0Scott)
On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:45:51 -0400, I AmnotGeorgeBush wrote:
They are having a tax free week here on
everything designated "hurricane supplies"
and two way radios qualify,,unfortunately, the
radios have to be under thirty bucks, but the
hand held FRS and others are flying off the
shelves. There is always activity on those
bands down here,,beaches, theme parks, car
caravans,...wait till echo starts showing up on
those bands..whoops,,,I think it already has.

I would pick up MURS radios instead of the

FRS type. They have a bit more power and at

VHF they will carry a bit further and you can

use external antennas too.

I have VHF covered.

The external antenna is nothing more that a

slightly modified Ham 2m type. You can't use

external antennas on FRS radios. Some

combo FRS and GMRS types you might be

able to do it, but they're hard to find. Also

depending on the model of MURS radio you

may be able to program in the local VHF

weather channel on 162.xxx MHz.

I listen to the report from Cedar Key.

So are you ready for the hurricane season?

I've pretty much always been well equipped down here, but since I spent
a wad of cash this time, I'm fairly confident when I say we will never
have another hurricane here. Hurricane kit is full, generators are on
standby, plenty of gas I keep rotating to keep fresh, plenty of bottled
water, medicine kit, flashlights, lanterns, candles, canned goods,
radios, batteries, new window unit A/C.....I'm getting too old to simply
be content on riding it out and waiting for services to be restored....I
took steps to make sure I'm damn comfortable. An 110 A/C unit I can run
off a generator when we're camped in the safe room was the final ticket.

You got lucky last year I think.

Plenty of folks took damage, including us, but ours was minimal.

I flew in to West

Palm Beach about a month ago to drive out to

the Indiantown area. I saw plenty of roof work

still being done as the plane came in for a

landing.

You were right by Lake Okeechobee..you should have brought a pole. Those
little canals and offshoots of waterways you saw driving on 710 are
among the best in the country for fishing....that's why you always see
pickups and cars prked in the middle of nowhere on that road.
You should have checked out this coast inland of Punta Gorda and the
areas that were hit squarely by all three storms. People were still
living in tents as of last Christmas and many still haven't received
insurance settlement checks. No roofs at all in some of the smaller
towns...all blue tarps.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott

.KC8LDO

Old May 19th 05, 07:06 PM
Leland C. Scott

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:27:04 -0400, I AmnotGeorgeBush wrote:

I've pretty much always been well equipped down here, but since I spent
a wad of cash this time, I'm fairly confident when I say we will never
have another hurricane here.

Never say never again, right? 8-))

Hurricane kit is full, generators are on
standby, plenty of gas I keep rotating to keep fresh, plenty of bottled
water, medicine kit, flashlights, lanterns, candles, canned goods,
radios, batteries, new window unit A/C.....I'm getting too old to simply
be content on riding it out and waiting for services to be restored....I
took steps to make sure I'm damn comfortable. An 110 A/C unit I can run
off a generator when we're camped in the safe room was the final ticket.

I talked my mom and step dad up here in to installing a natural gas
powered generator. So they went out and got either a 12KW or a 15KW unit
with automatic switch over and self test. They're both retired and my mom
has a bit of a hard time getting around, she needs two knee replacements
done. They've lost power several times where they live, not counting the
huge blackout the other year. Where they live it's about a 30 mile hike up
to their lake to check up on them. Knowing they have power for heat etc.
even in the winter time is a big relief.

I flew in to West

Palm Beach about a month ago to drive out to

the Indiantown area. I saw plenty of roof work

still being done as the plane came in for a

landing.

You were right by Lake Okeechobee..

That's where I stayed. I did go downtown to see the lake. All they had
was a small sand beach and that tee shaped observation pier. I didn't see
much else. Sure doesn't look much like a tourist area.

you should have brought a pole. Those
little canals and offshoots of waterways you saw driving on 710 are
among the best in the country for fishing....that's why you always see
pickups and cars prked in the middle of nowhere on that road.

I'm not really in to fishing but yeah I did see people doing like you
said. What about those, looks like, canals that run around the lake? Seems
to me they have some kind of levee on the north side and several dams with
spillways along there. What's that all about?

You should
have checked out this coast inland of Punta Gorda and the areas that
were hit squarely by all three storms. People were still living in tents
as of last Christmas and many still haven't received insurance
settlement checks.

That really sucks!

No roofs at all in some of the smaller towns...all
blue tarps.

I saw a lot of those from the air just flying in to West Palm Beach.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott

KC8LDO

Old May 19th 05, 02:41 AM
Steveo

"John" wrote:
Why is it that in the world of CBing that most users love to overdrive.
First they take a radio, cut the clipper out, add a mic with 10x tooo
much audio to the poor radio, then over drive a amplifier to full output
(way into compressiom) before any modulation is applied.
Now they should know they sound like crap.

Too much attraction to AM.