Old June 27th 05, 12:57 AM
JohnM

Default Question on cb radios..

Hi, I'm new here so don't flame me too bad..

I was looking at sideband radios on ebay and, in addition to SSB radios,
I see SBE. So, now I'm curious as to what the difference is..

Many thanks,

John
Old June 27th 05, 07:51 AM
Cliff

It is in reference to a fine boatanchor. Old radio, usually 23 channel
with capability of putting a VFO on it and talking from 26.00-28.550.
I have an SBE Console II for sale. I am slowly getting out of CBing so
would let it go for a decent price. These have am/usb/lsb and will
tweak out to a buncha power going out if youo want to go illegal.

Old June 27th 05, 08:02 AM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

Cliff wrote:
It is in reference to a fine boatanchor. Old radio, usually 23 channel
with capability of putting a VFO on it and talking from 26.00-28.550.
I have an SBE Console II for sale. I am slowly getting out of CBing so
would let it go for a decent price. These have am/usb/lsb and will
tweak out to a buncha power going out if youo want to go illegal.

Not to mention that VFO's are also illegal to transmit on with CB
radios, which are only permitted fixed channel transmission.

Old June 27th 05, 10:55 AM
Steveo

wrote:
Cliff wrote:
It is in reference to a fine boatanchor. Old radio, usually 23 channel
with capability of putting a VFO on it and talking from 26.00-28.550.
I have an SBE Console II for sale. I am slowly getting out of CBing so
would let it go for a decent price. These have am/usb/lsb and will
tweak out to a buncha power going out if youo want to go illegal.

Not to mention that VFO's are also illegal to transmit on with CB
radios, which are only permitted fixed channel transmission.

Not to mention made it to the rain report enforcement logs
for jamming the Toledo repeaters, and has a court ordered head shrink and
felony for child abuse.

Just google up
to see what a hypocrite loser he is.
Old June 28th 05, 12:27 AM
james

On 27 Jun 2005 00:02:33 -0700, "mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton!
CHICKEN BOY!" wrote:

Not to mention that VFO's are also illegal to transmit on with CB
radios, which are only permitted fixed channel transmission.

*****

For receiving purposes only a VFO is legal. But then why have a VFO
only on receive?

james

Old June 28th 05, 12:46 AM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

and illegal

Old June 27th 05, 11:03 AM
JohnM

JohnM wrote:
Hi, I'm new here so don't flame me too bad..

I was looking at sideband radios on ebay and, in addition to SSB radios,
I see SBE. So, now I'm curious as to what the difference is..

Many thanks,

John

Many thanks all, think I got it now; SBE is a *brand name*.. duh...

John
Old June 27th 05, 06:48 PM
John Smith

JohnM:

Yes, any of the older radios like that work excellently with a VFO and
cover the freebands at the top end of HF quite nicely...

.... a few parts and a general pcb board from radio shack and a guy can
slap together a VFO quite cheaply...

John

Old June 29th 05, 01:12 PM
JohnM

John Smith wrote:
JohnM:

Yes, any of the older radios like that work excellently with a VFO and
cover the freebands at the top end of HF quite nicely...

... a few parts and a general pcb board from radio shack and a guy can
slap together a VFO quite cheaply...

Maybe a guy who knows what he's doing can;-) Might be worth looking
into, eventually.

Serious, the last time I bought a handful of components from RS the girl
asked if I was making a bomb- and when I said well, yes, it was a timer
I was working on, she got strange.. telling her it was a postflow timer
for a plasma cutter I was working on didn't change her attitude any
either. It was a little strange..

Again, thanks to all with advice in this thread- I'm learning, a little
at a time.

John