Old August 15th 05, 12:20 AM
Sir_Oblivion

Default What was the first rig/outbander you owned?

It's been ages but thinking back how I used to work RC channels and 22A with
a slip of the channel knob. What was the first real rig you owed that was
totally non-Part95 Accepted? Me guess it was my Browning Mark II but also
had a Hygain V with matching VFO; anybody remember them? Another was a SBE
Consol II with some monstrosity of a crystal box mounted atop the cabinet.

Old August 15th 05, 02:02 AM
Scott in Baltimore

Sir_Oblivion wrote:
It's been ages but thinking back how I used to work RC channels and 22A with
a slip of the channel knob. What was the first real rig you owed that was
totally non-Part95 Accepted? Me guess it was my Browning Mark II but also
had a Hygain V with matching VFO; anybody remember them? Another was a SBE
Consol II with some monstrosity of a crystal box mounted atop the cabinet.

I fixed a DAK Mark IIIa mobile to have extra channels years ago.

Now I have an original 2950. Waiting for CW to go bye-bye. I'll
go pass element 3 again. Anybody get some of that skip Friday
night/Saturday morning about 2AM EDT. That was some rocking
skip. I was hitting all the "M" states on AM and SSB in the
mobile with a 2x455 box on low and a stock TRC-451 (Cobra 146)
with a non-amplified 636L and a 7 foot KW-7 Firestik with 7
feet of coax and a 1.7:1 SWR. It hasn't been touched or checked
since I got my ham ticket in May 2003. Nothing like DX, on any band.

I have the QSL card proving a 192 mile VHF-FM simplex contact!
For local contacts, 2 meter FM beats 11 meters. For actual skip,
11 meters is wild, especially on SSB. After 25+ years on radio,
I'm ready for some 10 meter action. It should be similar to 11.
Old August 15th 05, 04:21 AM
John Smith

.... took an old kaar cb unit, signal channel, and used a vfo with it...
drove an old 150 watt tube linear, back then there was only one or two
guys freebanding in my area, and only 23 channels, now and then catch some
on skip... wish I had saved it in the attic...

Later opened up my 10 meter equip to cover 11 meters...

John

Navy Radiomen KØHB Policy 299 July 15th 05 11:21 PM
What's the most enjoyable receiver you've ever owned? Hatfield Shortwave 29 March 10th 05 10:31 PM
What's the 'quietest' receiver you've ever owned or used? [email protected] Shortwave 32 February 3rd 05 11:42 PM
Taking Back the Group - Firebug Hermit owned Scanner and Other Material Items Taking Back the Group Scanner 0 July 22nd 03 01:09 AM