Old June 13th 05, 03:41 PM
KØHB

Default Navy Radiomen

by Bob 'Dex' Armstrong

In the old gravel-gut boat service, your only link with the civilized world was
via the radio shack. A cubby hole on Requin aft of the scope wells in the
control room... It was the home of the spark shufflers.

If you were in tight with a radioman, you could get ball scores. Sewer pipe
sailors lost touch with the teams they followed... A hazard common to submarine
sailors and people who take a moon walk and miss the ride home. Actually, we
lost touch with just about everything. In the war movies when they come across
some guy who claims to be an American, they ask him questions only an American
could answer. If they had picked me up and asked me anything but (A) The names
of Roy's and Gene's horses (B) Who won World War II and (C) Blaze Starr's bust
size, I would have been one 'up the creek' sonuvabitch. Hell, we didn't know
Jack Kennedy was the president until we snorkeled a day later.

Only a complete idiot would make a bet with a radioman. Chances were, the
radioman had the final score before you tossed your wampum on the mess table.

I remember one great night brought to us by the spark pushers in the radio
shack.

We had finished whatever nonsense they sent us out to do and were making turns
for home. The Old Man opened the showers... Guys were bumming razor blades and
rooting around in side lockers for something that would pass for a towel. Next
thing you know, the foo-foo juice came out. Now there's a myth that all smoke
boat sailors eventually bought into, sooner or later... Aqua Velva was never
meant to disguise poor personal hygene. No matter how much of the stuff you
poured on a dungaree shirt you had been inside of for two weeks, you were still
one disgustingly foul smelling sonuvabitch. You could spray French perfume on an
engineman with a fire hose and buzzards would still circle around the *******
when he went topside. But I digress...

A group of us were sitting around in the crew's mess drinking coffee and ragging
guys heading fore and aft. A radioman came in and told us we were in for one
helluva good laugh. He monkeyed around with the RBO and patched it into
something in the radio shack.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of riding diesel boats or other
seagoing steel-hulled garbage scows, I must explain something here.

You could make phone calls from a ship at sea. Here is how it worked. The
radioman would raise someone ashore called a 'marine operator'. Then the
radioman would give the marine operator the name and phone number of whoever the
bluejacket aboard ship wanted to call. The marine operator would then place a
collect call and when the party answered and accepted the charges, the marine
operator would form a radio link with the ship and 'Bill the Bluejacket' could
talk to his sweetie.

From sweetie to the marine operator was private and confidential... From the
marine operator to Barnicle Bill, it was up for grabs... Great evening
entertainment.

"Poopsie, is that you?"

"Yes ducky doo, it's me."

"You miss me, peach blossom?"

"Oh yes... YES, darling!"

"Miss me a lot?"

"Oh, I miss you soooo much I can't wait to hold you and..."

"Okay darling... Are you going to meet the ship?"

"No sweetheart, I parked the car in the pier head lot... Keys are under the
mat."

"Why aren't you meeting the boat, sweetheart?"

"Oh, it was supposed to be a suprise... If you must know, the kids are spending
the night with the Webbers. I bought a new nightie and I figured we'd break it
in tonight."

The animals would cheer,
"LET'S HEAR IT FOR MAMMA AND HER NEW NIGHTIE!!"

And so it went. Bluejackets phoning in after six months in the Med... Great
entertainment.

"Darlin' can't wait... Just you and me and a can of Crisco!"

We heard it all... It was great... Laugh after laugh. A very memorable
evening... Best and cheapest fun we ever had on Requin.

There were times... Moments that we took for granted and that passed with little
notice. It's funny how they come back late in life when you have the time to
reshuffle your memories... The collected moments that constitute your life.

Radiomen linked us with the world. Another thing we just took for granted and
that was so damned important looking back. Never thanked them... Should have.

Great guys, all of them.

Old June 13th 05, 04:52 PM
Poor Hans

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
by Bob 'Dex' Armstrong

In the old gravel-gut boat service, ////drivel flushed/////

Poor Hans. The guys down at the Legion Hall have forbidden Hans
from telling any more of his borrrrrrrrring sea tales.

Old June 13th 05, 07:47 PM
Jim Hampton

*******
[...]

From sweetie to the marine operator was private and confidential... From

the
[...]

Hello, Hans

You should have seen the RM1s on Guam when they wanted to find out results
as to who made chief.

Grab the orderwire to Hono. Ask for a patch to San Diego. Ask for a patch
to Washington ....

Had the results in 15 minutes LOL )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old June 13th 05, 09:49 PM
Tom

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

"KØHB" wrote in message
[...]

From sweetie to the marine operator was private and confidential... From

the
[...]

I knew two guys who were court martialed for doing exactly
what you say.

Tom

Old June 13th 05, 11:27 PM
John Smith

.... that almost makes me miss the ancient drums my
great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-etc. ancestors used to
use to communicate with in the primordial jungles... I wonder if we
could bring those back to?

... perhaps require the new licensees to beat out a fancy tempo on one
of those turkeys before we gave 'em a license!
evil-grin

Warmest regards,
John

"KØHB" wrote in message
[...]

From sweetie to the marine operator was private and confidential...
From

the

Old June 13th 05, 11:39 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
by Bob 'Dex' Armstrong

And so it went. Bluejackets phoning in after six months in the Med... Gre=

at
entertainment.

"Darlin' can't wait... Just you and me and a can of Crisco!"

.. . . a can of CRISCO??!

No wonder the Navy keeps these guys underwater . .=20

w3rv

Old June 14th 05, 12:33 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

Great guys, all of them.

Excellent Hans,

In the Army those in the know knew you had to know;

A. Supply Sgt.
B. Chief Cook.
C. Commo Sgt.

Not necessarily in that order.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 14th 05, 12:36 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

Hello, Hans

You should have seen the RM1s on Guam when they wanted to find out results
as to who made chief.

Grab the orderwire to Hono. Ask for a patch to San Diego. Ask for a
patch
to Washington ....

Had the results in 15 minutes LOL )

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

I was so far out in the boonies on one or more TDY I had to use my KWM2-A HF
transciever for a Shortwave receiver to keep the "troops" entertained.

(sure liked those big crystal packs).. hi

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 14th 05, 12:37 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
[...]

From sweetie to the marine operator was private and confidential... From

the
[...]

Thats when you need to know the Company Clerk.... hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 14th 05, 12:38 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
by Bob 'Dex' Armstrong

(great story snipped)

Great guys, all of them.

Thanks, Hans. Keep 'em coming!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Utillity freq List; NORMAN TRIANTAFILOS Shortwave 3 May 14th 05 03:31 AM
Navy launches second Kerry medal probe Honus Shortwave 16 October 15th 04 12:15 AM
U.S. Navy IG Says Kerry's Medals Proper Dwight Stewart Shortwave 20 September 24th 04 07:51 PM
Navy Radiomen KØHB General 1 May 3rd 04 10:48 PM
Base Closures N8KDV Shortwave 10 January 20th 04 01:39 AM