Old May 2nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
GregS

Default recording using a Astatic D-104 mic

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , "St. John
Smythe" wrote:
robert440 wrote:
At one point I did play with creating a dynamic version of the D104, but the
project never flew.

Imagine my chagrin. I just took apart my D104 to check the markings on
the dynamic element I was sold in the '70s. It says MC-320, which,
according to a quick web lookup, is a crystal element.
blush

This may be a good time to install that Heil element...

That would seem a simple and easy way out. just hope it sounds the same.
Crystal do not last but ceramic does. The response of the D-104
is shown here.....
http://www.astatic.com/cb/d104m6b.htm
The handheld mic is supposed to have the same element, which is still
available.
I would call them.

+22 dB at 3.2 kHz over 100 Hz.

The Heil is very different.

The classic D-104 sound is heard through a transmitter with cutoff's
and compression, and lots of garbling!!

One point, The amplifier probably lowers the 100 Hz response, so its
+12 at 3.2 kHz. without the internal amp.

greg
Old May 2nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
robert440

is shown here.....
http://www.astatic.com/cb/d104m6b.htm
The handheld mic is supposed to have the same element, which is still
available.

It's not the same element (I was one of the designers of the mobile
version).
The ceramic version of the D104 element (I think it was MC-320c.) wouldn't
fit in a hand held mic.
However, the response of the mobile ceramic capsule is similar to it's big
brother and probably could be used.
Old May 7th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Jack

Mike Rivers wrote:
Just for reference, where does info on the mic come from? Given the
built-in amplifier, it's obviously a recent version. Is it now
manufactured or sold by a company other than Astatic? I was surprised
not to find any data on the mic on the Astatic web sites other than a
mention in their company history article.

Used to have an old D104 with the amp inside and this setup easily goes
back to the 70's. That's when I had mine. Used it with a couple of CB
rigs. I believe the last version of the 104 made was a special one in gold.

--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC/NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail/D&H in N
Old May 7th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Mike Rivers

Jack wrote:

Used to have an old D104 with the amp inside and this setup easily goes
back to the 70's.

That's at least 15 years newer than the last one I had my hands on.
They were orignally crystal mics, and that's the "real" D104. However,
apparently recent models are just like any other mic as far as
interfacing goes. And as far as sound goes, they do their best to
retain the classic "communication mic" sound, which is in general
completely undesirable for a studio mic. But as we all know well,
there's an application somewhere for almost any crappy sound. But a
D104 would never be my "go to" mic for anything other than recording
taxi dispatcher monologue for a film - and I don't do that.

Old May 12th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 7 May 2006 13:29:36 UTC, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

Jack wrote:

Used to have an old D104 with the amp inside and this setup easily goes
back to the 70's.

That's at least 15 years newer than the last one I had my hands on.
They were orignally crystal mics, and that's the "real" D104. However,
apparently recent models are just like any other mic as far as
interfacing goes. And as far as sound goes, they do their best to
retain the classic "communication mic" sound, which is in general
completely undesirable for a studio mic. But as we all know well,
there's an application somewhere for almost any crappy sound. But a
D104 would never be my "go to" mic for anything other than recording
taxi dispatcher monologue for a film - and I don't do that.

?? A good crystal element in a D-104 is clear and
distortion-free in a general sense i.e. no kazoo,
no grainy, no tunnel, with the crispness to
override noise.

A bad element can lead to what you are talking
about. The recent Astatic elements are ceramic and
I've yet to try them, my crystal still being good.

Lively does not have to be 'crappy'. BTW, replace
that built-in amp with a home-brew two-FET amp and
you will have eliminated most of that
objectionable sound.
---
io

Old May 12th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.audio.pro
GregS

wrote:

Jack wrote:

[...]

I should have bought that Golden Eagle. I knew it.They are getting
big bucks on Ebay.

How about FET follower with a FET current source. You would have to
attenuate the output since the element has very high output voltage.

greg