Old May 1st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb

Default recording using a Astatic D-104 mic

Want to use an Astatic Sliver Eagle for recording. This mic has a 4
pin connector. In order to use it for recording I need to get it to
an XLR or 1/4 inch connector. Is there an adaptor? Will I need to
wire a different connector on it? If so, can someone tell me what
wires should go to where on the new plug. Thanks.

Old May 1st 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Mike Rivers

wrote:
Want to use an Astatic Sliver Eagle for recording. This mic has a 4
pin connector. In order to use it for recording I need to get it to
an XLR or 1/4 inch connector. Is there an adaptor?

I'd suggest a visit to the Astatic web site, but they don't seem to
list this model even in the "discontinued" section. You'll find some
helpful information he

http://members.cox.net/n4jk/d104.htm

and he

http://www.ronharter.com/microphones.asp

But you'll have to do the work yourself or take it to someone with a
little electronics construction experience. The 4-pin connector is
still availabe. You can probably find it at Digi-Key or Mouser (both
have web sites) but it might take a phone call to identify what you
need to order. I believe that "Amphenol MC-4" will probably be an
adequate description for a live person to find it.

Old May 1st 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
GregS

In article .com, "Mark" wrote:

wrote:
Want to use an Astatic Sliver Eagle for recording. This mic has a 4
pin connector. In order to use it for recording I need to get it to
an XLR or 1/4 inch connector. Is there an adaptor? Will I need to
wire a different connector on it? If so, can someone tell me what
wires should go to where on the new plug. Thanks.

why would you want to do that?

if i remember, the D104 is a crystal mic which is Hi .Z

I would guess at the type of connector. Typical communication
rigs of past. Wire up a new connector. Two have to connected to the PTT
switch. You should have a HiZ amp, perhaps a guitar amp could be
adapted, except the thing has hig voltage but low current. Most tube preamps
should work.

greg
Old May 1st 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Scott Dorsey

In article . net,
St. John Smythe wrote:
wrote:
Want to use an Astatic Sliver Eagle for recording. This mic has a 4
pin connector. In order to use it for recording I need to get it to
an XLR or 1/4 inch connector. Is there an adaptor? Will I need to
wire a different connector on it? If so, can someone tell me what
wires should go to where on the new plug. Thanks.

Both crystal and dynamic elements were available for D-104s, although
the crystal elements were more common. The mics used to have an
internal wiring diagram inside the bottom plate. (You could wire them
so the push-to-talk switch also switched the mic element, or not.)

Pop off the bottom and take a look.

ALSO, I believe many of these were sold as dual-Z units. You could use
two pins and the ground to get a balanced low-Z output, or the third
pin and the ground to get an unbalanced high-Z output. Which one you
want probably depends on what you are plugging it into and what you want
it to sound like. There is a transformer in the base of the dual-Z
models with either element.
--scott

Old May 1st 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
robert440

It wouldn't be the first time someone has used a D104 in studio as an
effect.
The Silver Eagle version of the D104 has an amplifer (to work with modern
radios), so impedance is not an issue.
The mic does have a very high output (requires a 9V battery) that may easily
overload the mic input of a mixer, even with a pad engaged. There is a gain
control on the bottom of the mic.
The 4-pin connector could be wired differently depending on the radio it was
being used with, so open the connector and look at the wire colors.
The mic actually has 6 wires, including a shield.
Audio is unbalanced and between the white and shield. The other wires are
only for switching and would not be used.
Your best off with the 1/4" connector but you can try connecting the shield
to pin 1 and white to pin 2 on the XLR. (You might also have to tie pin 3 to
pin 1.)
-- Make sure phantom power is turned off if using an XLR!!! --
Switching may be quite noisy since the audio is switched "line open" so lock
the mic on, and mute the channel as needed.
Old May 1st 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb
Mike Rivers

robert440 wrote:

The Silver Eagle version of the D104 has an amplifer (to work with modern
radios), so impedance is not an issue.
The mic does have a very high output (requires a 9V battery) that may easily
overload the mic input of a mixer, even with a pad engaged. There is a gain
control on the bottom of the mic.

Just for reference, where does info on the mic come from? Given the
built-in amplifier, it's obviously a recent version. Is it now
manufactured or sold by a company other than Astatic? I was surprised
not to find any data on the mic on the Astatic web sites other than a
mention in their company history article.

I'm familiar with the ham radio version of 50 years ago (which was
indeed a crystal element). It seems that while the basic model number
and appearance haven't changed significantly over the years, the inner
workings have evolved substantially.

Old May 1st 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.radio.cb

I always thought the 104 would make a really cool housing for a DIY
ribbon mic...