Old September 7th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default Newbie digital modes question

I've been licensed since 1958 but have been off the air for last 15
years or so, except for occasional 2-meter FM contacts and an
occasional foray back into 40 CW.

I'm baffled by the proliferation of digital modes and digital devices.

As I understand it:

1. Computers have sound cards that accept audio input and create
audio outpout. The sound cards accept digital or analog audio input
and create digitial audio output.

2. I can connect the audio output of my rig to the input of a
computer sound card, and, connect the mic input and PTT lines of my
rig to the output of the computer sound card. The connection is made
through a box of some kind (RigBlaster, SignaLink, etc.).

3. Then, with various software -- freeware, shareware, or commercial
applications -- my computer will read the digital signal from my rig
and will transmit a digital signal through my rig.

4. This, then, is basically how PSK-31 and other digital modes work.

5. So -- I need:

-- computer with sound card (have that);
-- rig with accessory socket (have that, old ICOM IC-729);
-- something to connect the computer to the rig (RigBlaster,
SignaLink, etc.)
-- appropriate cables from the SignaLink (or whatever) to the rig;
and,
-- software.

Is that about the size of it?

Can I send and receive CW using the same process and equipment, with
the appropriate software?

Thanks
Old September 7th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Captain America wrote:
Is that about the size of it?

Yes that sounds correct.
Of course you could home-build the interface instead of buying a
commercial product. There are schematics available on the net.
It merely provides some isolation between the transceiver and computer
to avoid nasty groundloops and currents, usually implemented by a couple
of transformers and optocouplers.

Can I send and receive CW using the same process and equipment, with
the appropriate software?

Yes. You may want to check that your interface provides the CW KEY
signal in addition to PTT.
Old September 8th 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

One thing to remember...if you connect your transmit audio directly to
your computer's sound card (either by direct connection or via one of
the commercial or homebrew interfaces) you will also transmit any sounds
that your computer is generating as well. The newer interfaces that
connect to your computer via USB have sound cards built into them and
thus don't send those errant sounds along as well to your transmitter.

Each one of the digital programs that you're likely to use, MixW,
Fldigi, etc. will have a little different audio level output to your rig
as well. If you don't want to have to readjust your drive levels each
time you change programs get ahold of the free PC utility "Quickmix"
(http://www.ptpart.co.uk/quickmix/) that allows you to set the drive
levels for each program and stores them in a file that you can load
easily before starting your digital program.

Good luck!

Dino KL0S

Old September 8th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Rob wrote:

Captain America wrote:
Is that about the size of it?

Yes that sounds correct.
Of course you could home-build the interface instead of buying a
commercial product. There are schematics available on the net.
It merely provides some isolation between the transceiver and computer
to avoid nasty groundloops and currents, usually implemented by a couple
of transformers and optocouplers.

Can I send and receive CW using the same process and equipment, with
the appropriate software?

Yes. You may want to check that your interface provides the CW KEY
signal in addition to PTT.

Thanks to all who responded for your tips.

I purchased -- and received today -- a SingaLink USB. Downloaded MixW
and was able to make several PSK31 contacts. I printed the entire 170
page MixW manual and plan to read it over the next few days to see
what I should be doing.

What I am REALLY trying to do is interface Win-Test with my rig so the
software will send CW during contests. I'm an old CT user but my
computer is brand new -- no COM or LPT ports and no PCMCIA card --
just USB ports. I really like the CT function that uses the Function
keys to send call, exchange, etc. SignaLink USB says I can use it to
key my rig via the key jack, so, we'll see. Win-Test uses an
interface similar to CT but is supposed to be able to key through the
USB port (well, actually, the USB bus, not port).

Meanwhile, I'll read the MixW manual and try all the modes -- this is
all new to me but looks exciting.

Thanks.