Old July 3rd 03, 01:19 AM
Ralph Mowery

What we'd like to do is use amateur radio for some university research
projects. Specifically, we would like to use AR equipment in sensor
network research. Sensor networks are basically like APRS without people
at the transmit nodes, and more than just position information is
reported (maybe temperature, etc). Also, multi-hop relay may be employed.

I would say find a comercial frequency and use it. YOu did not mention the
frequency that you would be using . If under 30 mhz it will be would wide.
If in the UHF and above you may go ok. Just remember you will be subject
to a shared frequency and others may use that frequency.

Sounds like one way or beacon modes to me.

Old July 3rd 03, 04:44 AM
S. Sampson

"Ralph Mowery" wrote

I would say find a comercial frequency and use it.

What does that mean? That his application is illegal, or you just don't
want him to experiment on the Ham bands?

You did not mention the frequency that you would be using .

The only frequency he could use would be VHF and shorter wavelengths,
due to the automatic features he needs.

If under 30 mhz it will be would wide.

World wide?? What does that have to do with anything?

If in the UHF and above you may go ok. Just remember you will be subject
to a shared frequency and others may use that frequency.

Duh... Although most VHF and UHF bands are about as empty as
the U.S. treasury, and two people using the same frequency would be as
likely as being hit with a metorite.

Sounds like one way or beacon modes to me.

That's because you're very ignorant of the rules:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/

Old July 3rd 03, 02:36 PM
Duane Allen

Leo Szumel wrote:
Hi,

What we'd like to do is use amateur radio for some university research
projects. ...

I've examined Part 97 rules and tried to read as many applicable threads
as possible. My interpretation is that:

(b) AR can be used for educational (non-commercial) purposes

Part (b) is the most shaky becaues it seems to dependon "reasonable use"
and other gray terms. Certainly my proposed use is not "hobby" ...

Section 97.113(c) prohibits transmission of "Communications in which the
station licensee or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including
communications on behalf of an employer."

Are you being employeed by UC to conduct university research projects?

I would think that the University already has or can easily get
non-amateur resources (both hardware and spectrum allocation) that would
support your research projects. The challenging task is finding out who
may have such resources. In addition to checking with the project lead
faculty, you may need to check with the department head and the college
dean. An often overlooked channel for information is contacting the
purchasing persons at the department/college/campus levels. They know
who requisitioned what. From there you can go to the requisitioners and
find out what administrative activities they went through for licensing.

Good luck,

Duane Allen
N6JPO

Old July 3rd 03, 02:54 PM
Duane Allen

Leo Szumel wrote:
Hi,

What we'd like to do is use amateur radio for some university research
projects. ...

I've examined Part 97 rules and tried to read as many applicable threads
as possible. My interpretation is that:

(b) AR can be used for educational (non-commercial) purposes

Part (b) is the most shaky becaues it seems to dependon "reasonable use"
and other gray terms. Certainly my proposed use is not "hobby" ...

Section 97.113(a)(3) prohibits transmission of "Communications in which

Old July 3rd 03, 08:48 PM
Phil Kane

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:54:46 GMT, Duane Allen wrote:

I would think that the University already has or can easily get
non-amateur resources (both hardware and spectrum allocation) that would
support your research projects. The challenging task is finding out who
may have such resources. In addition to checking with the project lead
faculty, you may need to check with the department head and the college
dean. An often overlooked channel for information is contacting the
purchasing persons at the department/college/campus levels. They know
who requisitioned what. From there you can go to the requisitioners and
find out what administrative activities they went through for licensing.

Yes, UC does have such resources, and the source of who has what
where throughout the UC system is the Office of the Vice President
of Administration, located on the UC Berkeley campus.

At least that's who we used to deal with concerning radio spectrum
assignment and licensing matters for the UC system.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane