Old July 9th 03, 03:44 AM
S. Sampson

"keep-it-clean" wrote

Now then, I take it you disagree with my advice to the original poster.

That really wasn't "advice," it was just noise.

Old July 9th 03, 04:49 AM
Phil Kane

Old July 9th 03, 04:49 AM
Phil Kane

Old July 11th 03, 05:35 AM
K0HB

Leo Szumel wrote

I am being paid by UC to do research in general.
I would not receive compensation as a result of
this specific research, so in my mind I have
no pecuniary interest in the project.

If you are doing this research project within the scope of your paid
position, then you DO have a pecuniary interest, and Amateur Radio is
not an appropriate communications medium.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 11th 03, 02:19 PM
JoAnne Maenpaa

There is a lot of discussion within AMSAT in regards to
University research satellites using amateur radio fre-
quencies.

While these two links are satellite related they may
provide some insight into existing radio Rules and
Regulations for using the amateur radio frequencies
for research in general:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/intro/using-ham-freqs.html

http://www.iaru.org/satellite/

These links are not the regulations. But they do point
to the details.

73 de JoAnne WB9JEJ

om...

Old August 3rd 03, 05:54 AM
Bill Frovik n0mnb

go for it. as long as u share your info and results with the ham
community..and it wouldn't hurt to get ur ticket..
73's de n0mnb
"Leo Szumel" wrote in message
Hi,

What we'd like to do is use amateur radio for some university research
projects. Specifically, we would like to use AR equipment in sensor
network research. Sensor networks are basically like APRS without people
at the transmit nodes, and more than just position information is
reported (maybe temperature, etc). Also, multi-hop relay may be employed.

I've examined Part 97 rules and tried to read as many applicable threads
as possible. My interpretation is that:

(a) automated transmissions are OK (with caveats)
(b) AR can be used for educational (non-commercial) purposes
(c) AR can be used for data transmissions, using encrypted
authentication, provided the data payload is unencrypted

Part (b) is the most shaky becaues it seems to dependon "reasonable use"
and other gray terms. Certainly my proposed use is not "hobby" but it
seems to me to fall into the category of "experimentation" and
(hopefully) "advancing the field."

What do you think of using AR bands for relaying sensor information for
research purposes? Would an FCC Special Temporary Authority be
appropriate/required?

Sincerely,

--
Leo Szumel | ECE Graduate Student, UC Davis
Email: