Old December 18th 03, 07:53 AM
alt

Default Why so much hostility towards IRLP?

Why is there so much hostility towards IRLP?

I realize that it's not real DX, but isn't amateur radio and the Internet
partly about connecting people? Why is there so much hostility towards
exploring radio-related technology like IRLP (which is also a part of ham
radio)?

Personally, I find the whole concept facinating. I'm also looking at the
IPARN (http://www.iparn.ca/) (Inter-provincial Amateur Radio Network) who's
goal is to connect repeaters in every Canadian province via Satellite (due
to funding shortfalls, they're utilizing an IRLP-like system utilizing the
internet).

I guess I just see it all as exploring technology and the Amateur Radio
portion creates unique opportunities to expand that exploration.

--
Donovan Hill
Old December 18th 03, 10:35 AM
Gene Storey

It's sort of like the ford and chevy argument.

"alt" wrote
Why is there so much hostility towards IRLP?

Old December 18th 03, 10:35 AM
Gene Storey

Old December 18th 03, 12:39 PM
charlesb

"Gene Storey" wrote in message

It's sort of like the ford and chevy argument.

I suppose it might seem that way, if you were a clueless moron. - Implying
that the Internet and Radio were two interchangeable aspects of the amateur
radio hobby and that there really is no difference between ham radio and
commercial, non-ham stuff. - So why not just get on the Internet and call it
Ham Radio?

Why is there so much hostility towards IRLP?

It's because there are so many hams who are too intelligent to go for Gene's
alleged "reasoning" in this matter.

They see the damage it does to the hobby and unlike Gene, they care.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net

Old December 18th 03, 05:10 PM
James R. DeLoach

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:39:09 GMT, "charlesb"
wrote:

"Gene Storey" wrote in message

It's sort of like the ford and chevy argument.

I suppose it might seem that way, if you were a clueless moron. - Implying
that the Internet and Radio were two interchangeable aspects of the amateur
radio hobby and that there really is no difference between ham radio and
commercial, non-ham stuff. - So why not just get on the Internet and call it
Ham Radio?

Why is there so much hostility towards IRLP?

It's because there are so many hams who are too intelligent to go for Gene's
alleged "reasoning" in this matter.

They see the damage it does to the hobby and unlike Gene, they care.

What damage? If anything it will maybe help save the hobby which
is little, by little dying. If the hobby doesn't modernize and change
then it will die. Young people don't see or care for CW, but with
computers, they do see a way to communicate and are trying to
bring people into the modern era of ham radio. It's the old timers
that keep resisting change that are going to kill the hobby and
if they keep bashing the younger people that are finding new
ways to communicate via computer/radio, they will leave and
the FCC will continue to take the frequencies that ham radio
uses away since they are not being used, mainly VHF & UHF.

Regards,

James

Note: To reply by email, remove the "X" in the reply to address.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old December 18th 03, 07:35 PM
Steve Stone

Why is there so much hostility towards IRLP?

What damage? If anything it will maybe help save the hobby which
is little, by little dying.

The purists are out against anything that intermingles and supplements
amateur RADIO communications with commercial RADIO and NON RADIO networks no
matter how much it enhances the end product of VHF/UHF Amateur Radio.

If you can talk from here to there on VHF using neat tricks why bother
taking tests to get on HF ?

IRLP and Echolink are Amateur Radio blasphemy to the puritans.

To me, its all neat stuff.. even the HF. Part of being interested in overall
communications technology rather than a narrow sampling of what is
available. To each his own.

Steve
N2UBP

Old December 18th 03, 08:51 PM
Hank Oredson

"Steve Stone" wrote in message
Why is there so much hostility towards IRLP?

What damage? If anything it will maybe help save the hobby which
is little, by little dying.

The purists are out against anything that intermingles and supplements
amateur RADIO communications with commercial RADIO and NON RADIO networks no
matter how much it enhances the end product of VHF/UHF Amateur Radio.

Really?
Perhaps you have not been reading what folks have written.
In any case, tell us all about that enhancement.
How many new licensees has IRLP brought into the hobby?
What bands and modes do they use?
Same questions for EchoLink.
Where did you get your data?

If you can talk from here to there on VHF using neat tricks why bother
taking tests to get on HF ?

Ah. You do understand a little bit.

IRLP and Echolink are Amateur Radio blasphemy to the puritans.

The proper term is "stupidity and ignorance."

To me, its all neat stuff.. even the HF. Part of being interested in overall
communications technology rather than a narrow sampling of what is
available. To each his own.

Have fun!

Steve
N2UBP

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

What is IRLP Joseph Fenn Digital 12 December 17th 03 02:29 PM
irlp larry Digital 76 December 17th 03 01:06 PM
LOOKING FOR JOTA CONTACTS - IRLP node 6625 active for JOTA PMac Antenna 0 August 30th 03 12:36 AM