Old January 27th 04, 09:43 AM
Roger

Jack Twilley wrote on 27/01/2004 09:14:

Steve The rigblaster just uses the DTR and RTS signals of a serial
Steve port. Here's some code I wrote in Linux to play with mine. It
Steve basically just changes the state of the DTR and RTS signals.

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

It's nothing like a TNC - it's basically just a switch / cable connecter
for use with sound card modem programs. (It tells you that on the web page.)

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE -
For UI-View go to -
Old January 27th 04, 01:14 PM
user

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:14:17 -0800, Jack Twilley wrote:

"Steve" == S Sampson writes:

Steve The rigblaster just uses the DTR and RTS signals of a serial
Steve port. Here's some code I wrote in Linux to play with mine. It
Steve basically just changes the state of the DTR and RTS signals.

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

I think you're severely confused about what the rigblaster is...
it's a serial interface, used primarily to assert PTT and do
some audio level management for digital modes. It has
absolutely nothing even REMOTELY close to having TNC
functionality.

Old January 27th 04, 01:33 PM
S. Sampson

"Jack Twilley" wrote

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

No. The rigblaster (and the rascal--I own both) are merely soundcard
interfaces. That is, they have transformers to isolate the audio circuits, and relays
to operate the PTT. The rigblaster is popular for its professional look
and adjustments, while the rascal is popular because it is cheap and can be
thrown behind the table. Both are just audio and relay devices, and there is
no TNC in them. The TNC is the Linux/FreeBSD computer.

I haven't messed with TNC's since I ran JNOS on a linux box (about 10 years
ago), and now pretty much have my rascal on my windows box with either
AGWPE for my APRS soundcard interface, or the various soundcard digital
modes (MT63, PSK31, etc). As a matter of fact I took all my TNC's to a
swap meet and sold the whole box for $5 (and it took about 2 hours to find a
buyer). About the only stuff I have left is a couple of 19k baud Kantronics
Radios and DRSI modems that were crap when they were new :-)

Old January 27th 04, 08:08 PM
Jack Twilley

Old January 27th 04, 08:08 PM
Jack Twilley

Old January 28th 04, 03:48 AM
Jack Twilley

Old January 28th 04, 03:48 AM
Jack Twilley

Old January 28th 04, 06:25 PM
Marco S Hyman

Jack Twilley writes:

It's not really on topic for rradm, but I'd also like to hear from
anyone who has any Linux/Unix software to generate those pretty
"waterfall" displays I've seen on Windows software packages.

At one time I had linpsk running on OpenBSD, so it probably wouldn't
be too hard to get running on FreeBSD. A screenshot is at:

http://linpsk.sourceforge.net/screen...npsk-0.7.1.png

Is that the display you were looking for? http://linpsk.sourceforge.net/

// marc