Old February 22nd 04, 11:42 AM
Tim

Default Advice please.

Hello,

I am interested in Packet radio and have had a good look around the WEB for
info. The more I look the more confused I get!

I would like to hook up my Yaesu VX-5 handie to the PC load up some software
and work Packet.

Sounds simple but what do I need? A TNC obviously but where from? Which one
to go for? What software?

Many years ago (Just renewed my licence after many years) I built a TNC,
cost was minimul and I simply plugged this
into the PC serial port. Are such kits available now?

Tim

Old February 22nd 04, 08:00 PM
F8BOE

Hello,

I'm using packet-radio since 1998 and I've tried many softwares running
under DOS and Windows.
The "perfect" DOS program was Baycom 1.6 because you had to type every
command on the keyboard, so you learned how packet-radio worked...
But under Windows and with the modern computers, I learned to appreciate the
comfort and versatility of Paxon which is only usefull if your BBS sysop was
intelligent enough not to use the FBB-type BBS programs. Paxon is just
perfect for Baybox related BBSs.

If your local BBS runs with F6FBB's server, the better choice would be WPP
or Winpack if you really have no other choice.

WPP and Paxon run either directly with a TNC2 (TF 2.7) or via a driver such
as Flexnet (PCflex/Flex32) or AGWPE to use a soundcard interface to generate
the modulation. Another advantage is that they handle 7plus and auto Binary
Split (efficient but not really useful in the FBB-BBS world).
It's the same with Winpack: TF2.7, AGW(PE) or other things.
The only advantage of Winpack is that it can run in conjunction with
Winlog32 for the DX-Cluster application of the logbook. I really hate
Winpack, it's the most complicated and user unfriendly packet program I've
ever seen! With so many plugins and macros you will perhaps never exchange
or even send any file via packet-radio.

If you try Paxon, connect a european BBS such as F6KDL-8, F6KFG-8, HB9EAS-8
or DB0FRB-8 which run with DieBox and BaycomBox server programs, to get the
right idea about what the terminal program is able to do.

Never forget, when connected to a digi or a BBS, always type "H" to get the
help and the commands list when available.

All you need could be found he

Terminal programs under Windows:

-Paxon (http://paxon.de/) register for free on the homepage to get the newer
2.00.1114 version (AGWPE ability added)
-Winstop (http://www.winstop.de/index.html) not freeware, limited to 30
minutes trying periods.
-WPP (http://www.dh3ww.de/wpp/index.htm)
-Winpack (http://www.ui-view.com/winpack/index.shtml) but get ready to take
your Prozac daily.

Drivers:

-Flex32 (www.afthd.tu-darmstadt.de/~flexnet/)
(www.uspacket.net/)
(http://www.bythebays.com/neflexnet/sw.htm)
-Soundmodem for Flexnet/Flex32
(www.afthd.tu-darmstadt.de/~flexnet/modules.html)
-AGWPE (http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/agwbay.htm)

Hardwa
If you run under Win NT/pro/XP, forget the TCM3105 based modems

-TNC: http://www.ifd-online.de/ Completely ready for 1k2 and 9k6 (19k2
modifiable) switchable
http://home.t-online.de/home/dl5daj/
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1270C
http://www.packetradio.com/1270algn.htm
http://www.symek.de/g/index-g.html

-Soundcard interface: http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham/tonekeyer.htm

http://www.qsl.net/ve3elb/soundcard%20interface.html

http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGblaster.htm

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/f6crp/denis/psk31.htm Home made is better!

-USB to serial adapter: UC232A (only for USB 1.1/2.0 to DB9, not USB 1.0)

-Transceiver: be sure you get the right rig if you want to go for 9k6
packet-radio, for example, the IC 706 (mk1,2,g) won't do it because of his
incredibly lazy TX delay of over 300 ms even too long for 1k2! The FT 7100
(200 ms), TM 255/455 (130 ms), are handling good short TX delays for 9k6
and have the standard mini-DIN plug. The FT 51r (150 ms) is a good handy for
1k2 packet-radio. Your VX 5r could do it right too.

-Cables: it's up to you, depending of which TRX and TNC / Soundcard
interface you use.

And if you need more infos, get THE search engine at
http://www.copernic.com/en/index.html

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-