Old October 13th 04, 04:34 PM
dw

Default basic stamp communication over radio

I'm trying to get two basic stamps (or one stamp and a computer) to
communicate via amateur radio. The stamp and the computer/other stamp will
be about 10 miles apart. I want to use a basic stamp as a security device
that will send data when told to do so by the other device. Can anyone
point me in the right direction? I can explain further if needed. Thanks!

dw

Old October 13th 04, 08:30 PM
Bruce Gordon

In article , "dw" wrote:

I'm trying to get two basic stamps (or one stamp and a computer) to
communicate via amateur radio. The stamp and the computer/other stamp will
be about 10 miles apart. I want to use a basic stamp as a security device
that will send data when told to do so by the other device. Can anyone
point me in the right direction? I can explain further if needed. Thanks!

dw

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Get a couple of TNC-2's, one for each end and run them in Transparent
Mode. Then connect the two Basic Stamps to the RS232 Ports on each
TNC-2. What that gives you is a Bidirectional Serial Link between
the two Basic Stamps.

Bruce in alaska

--
Bruce (semiretired powderman & exFCC Field Inspector for Southeastern Alaska)
add a 2 before @

Old October 14th 04, 01:36 PM
xpyttl

"Bruce Gordon" wrote in message

Get a couple of TNC-2's, one for each end and run them in Transparent

That was kind of my knee-jerk reaction, but it's kind of the high priced
approach.

However, QST, this month or last, had a simple PIC-based APRS lashup. One
could probably take that circuit, rip out the GPS software and replace it
with something for dw's sensors on the remote end.

One the PC end, the AGW packet engine makes a cheap TNC.

Of course, thinking over it again ... if dw is spending all those dollars on
Basic Stamps, then a couple of TNC's shouldn't be a big yank.

Old October 14th 04, 06:45 PM
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"xpyttl" wrote:

"Bruce Gordon" wrote in message

Get a couple of TNC-2's, one for each end and run them in Transparent

That was kind of my knee-jerk reaction, but it's kind of the high priced
approach.

However, QST, this month or last, had a simple PIC-based APRS lashup. One
could probably take that circuit, rip out the GPS software and replace it
with something for dw's sensors on the remote end.

One the PC end, the AGW packet engine makes a cheap TNC.

Of course, thinking over it again ... if dw is spending all those dollars on
Basic Stamps, then a couple of TNC's shouldn't be a big yank.

..

TNC-2's are "cheaper than dirt on ebay. If the guy can't afford $25US,
he should get out of the design biz.......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Old November 5th 04, 02:01 AM
manuka

Although a ham since 1967, I'm having my arm twisted to rustle up
something similar for (legal) data channels on licence free UHF CB
radio. Here in NZ, & no doubt globally, these PRS/FRS ~470MHz 2 way
radios are insanely cheap, ( US$30) yet have great range -managed an
easy link across 6 miles of harbour with a pair. I'm calling the quest
"KISS & tel" - for simple wireless telemetry - & will probably go for
AFSK (Audio Freq Shift Keying).

Instead of Basic Stamps,we'll be using the powerful PICAXE micros,
since they've achieved near cult status downunder & are ~ 1/10th the
same BS price.
See the likes of = www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz or = www.picaxe.com

Stan - ZL2AJZ