Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 9th 20, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [WB4SON] When Trees Arent Our Friends

WB4SON

When Trees Arent Our Friends

https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4175

A number of years ago, I wrote that hams often view trees as an enemy,
preventing us from getting antennas up in the air, or interfering with
satellite and VHF/UHF communication.Â* I suggested that we could alter our
perspective and use the trees as a natural antenna support.Â* For the past
decade I did just that, running a 450 foot circumference loop through my
trees, and more recently installing a 160-meter Inverted-L

This past Tuesday Tropical Storm Isaias was winding its way into Canada via
Albany, about 200 miles to our west.Â* We had a little wind and very little
rain (being on the far eastern side of the storm).Â* Things changed
drastically around 5:30 PM when a narrow feeder band, stretching from
Isaias down to North Carolina, cut through the state.Â* It only lasted about
30 minutes, but it brought very strong winds to the state, knocking out
power statewide to over 1/3 of the population.Â* There were many reports of
trees down on top of houses, cars, RVs, etc.Â* Fortunately there were no
fatalities.

In my case, at 5:45 PM, a loud snap with a resounding boom left our house
vibrating.Â* A 150 foot tall oak tree had blown onto the rear corner of our
house, splitting and dropping down two sides of our home.Â* The damage to
the house was fairly minimal the rear part of the roof needs to be
replaced, window screens were ripped, and there is some painting to do.Â*
Fortunately we still had power and air conditioning, plus the house
appeared to be water-proof and structurally sound.Â* By the next morning
companies had visited to bid on the work, and the tree was removed on
Thursday.

An unfortunate side-effect of this was the loss of BOTH of my HF antennas,
taking me off the air for the first time in a decade.Â* The loop was always
an annoyance to my wife, who could see the wire snaking into the woods, so
it will not be put back up (I will miss its low noise level and ease of
tuning on all ham bands).Â* The loss of the Inverted-L was a real blow.Â* A
good friend of mine, Willy W1LY, who has probably installed more antennas
that anyone in the state of Rhode Island, will come by to shoot support
lines into different trees later this week.Â* With some luck Ill be back on
the air for our weekly net on Wednesday at 3.9 MHz (7 PM local time).
Tall oak fell, splitting along the back (seen here) and side yard, taking
down both HF antennas.