Old July 8th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [WB4SON] Renaming Audio In/Out in Win 10

WB4SON

Renaming Audio In/Out in Win 10

https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4153

As I slowly change from older generation radios to newer ones, many of them
come with a USB interface for Rig Control as well as modulation In and
Out.Â* The trouble is that the vendors dont do a good job of identifying
which audio device is which (Kudos to FlexRadio which does, by the way
thumbs down to Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu who do not).

For example,

K3s Modulation Output Speakers USB Audio CODEC
K3s Modulation Input Microphone USB Audio CODEC
FTDX101MP Modulation Output LINE USB AUDIO CODEC
FTDX101MP Modulation Input Microphone USB AUDIO CODEC

Those names are not very descriptive and leads to confusion when picking an
audio device for WSJT-X, FLDIGI, etc.Â* You CAN rename the devices, after
they are installed, using the Windows 10 Control Panel/Hardware and
Sound/Sound.Â* For the Modulation Output, pick the Recording tab.Â* For
Modulation Input, pick the Playback tab.

As an example, suppose I want to rename the LINE USB AUDIO CODEC on my
FTDX-101MP to identify itself as FTDX USB AUDIO CODEC, I chose the
Recording Tab (it is the radio Modulation Output, so that feeds the Windows
10 Recording inputs), the scroll down until I find the LINE USB AUDIO
CODEC. Highlight that device, then click Properties, then overwrite the
LINE name and change it to FDTX101, and press OK. (Pick a new Icon if you
like).