Old February 4th 05, 09:21 PM
9V1GO

Default Spratley Island

Does anyone know the DXCC status of the DX0 operation from the Philippine
Spratleys? They have a good signal on the low bands and I hope they are
good enough for Newington.

73

Bob 9V1GO

Old February 5th 05, 07:03 PM
Bob Nielsen

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 05:21:27 +0800, 9V1GO wrote:
Does anyone know the DXCC status of the DX0 operation from the Philippine
Spratleys? They have a good signal on the low bands and I hope they are
good enough for Newington.

We'll have to wait until they file their paper work with ARRL to know
for sure. WFWL.

Bob, N7XY

Old February 5th 05, 09:07 PM
Caveat Lector

Probably is
Details on Spratly Isle prefix 1S

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/pg.html

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Old February 5th 05, 11:28 PM
9V1GO

Yep, I can't spell, :-)

Is Spratley the same as the Spratly that is in the ARRL DXCC List?

Old February 7th 05, 02:51 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

Of course, one needs to hear them first, work them second, manage to get a
QSL card third, and wait for a determination from DXCC HQ fourth.

Apparently they (DX0K) are on Pagasa Island in the Kalayaan Group. This
island is also called Thitu Island - probably by the Chinese.

A good estimate for the coordinates is: 11 degrees 3 minutes North; 114
degrees 17 seconds East. It may be the only island of the large number of
islands collectively called Spratley to have a real fixed-wing landing
strip. The island's WX station is important to the main islands as an early
warning post. It appears to be more than 350 kM from the closest main
island.

So far, the group appear to get off of work at about 1130Z and stay on
the air about 4 hours. Best time in Michigan for 40 Meters is 1100 to
1200Z; then 10 MHz is best for about an hour. From about 2300 to 2400 14
MHz and 18 MHz would be usable, but they seem to be in bed at those times.

Please do post when you hear them.

73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old February 7th 05, 03:12 PM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:51:04 -0500, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

|Of course, one needs to hear them first, work them second, manage to get a
|QSL card third, and wait for a determination from DXCC HQ fourth.

Isn't that always the case [g]?

| Apparently they (DX0K) are on Pagasa Island in the Kalayaan Group. This
|island is also called Thitu Island - probably by the Chinese.
|
| A good estimate for the coordinates is: 11 degrees 3 minutes North; 114
|degrees 17 seconds East. It may be the only island of the large number of
|islands collectively called Spratley to have a real fixed-wing landing
|strip. The island's WX station is important to the main islands as an early
|warning post. It appears to be more than 350 kM from the closest main
|island.
|
| So far, the group appear to get off of work at about 1130Z and stay on
|the air about 4 hours. Best time in Michigan for 40 Meters is 1100 to
|1200Z; then 10 MHz is best for about an hour. From about 2300 to 2400 14
|MHz and 18 MHz would be usable, but they seem to be in bed at those times.
|
| Please do post when you hear them.

I worked them at 1245Z on 40 this morning.

Wes N7WS in AZ

Old February 7th 05, 05:45 PM
Ragnar Otterstad

"9V1GO" skrev i melding
Does anyone know the DXCC status of the DX0 operation from the Philippine
Spratleys? They have a good signal on the low bands and I hope they are
good enough for Newington.
73

Bob 9V1GO

Back in the dark ages ( some 15 years ago ! ) the 9M0C ( I believe) was
accepted for dxcc.
They had a super signal in Europe but had only a couple of nights when the
noise was low enough to hear us.

73 rag la5he

Old February 8th 05, 04:33 AM
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear Wes: Congratulations! I started to listen by 1130Z and they were
never strong enough to be able to copy a call sign. Yours is the first
proof that they were heard in NA. Thanks for the info. Perhaps tomorrow.
73 Mac N8TT

I am using a large LPDA at about 38 meters and had a very quiet, rural noise
level.
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

snip

Old February 8th 05, 06:43 AM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:33:11 -0500, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

|Dear Wes: Congratulations! I started to listen by 1130Z and they were
|never strong enough to be able to copy a call sign. Yours is the first
|proof that they were heard in NA. Thanks for the info. Perhaps tomorrow.
| 73 Mac N8TT

Good luck, Mac.

|I am using a large LPDA at about 38 meters and had a very quiet, rural noise
|level.

See that's your problem, your antenna is too big and too high.[g] I
used a ground-mounted 1/4 wave vertical. Readability was better on my
45' high inverted vee because it's quieter but the absolute sig
strength was better on the vertical.

Would have worked them quicker had they said they were working split
more often. I called a few times simplex until I got the "up" "up"
sig. Call me a lid, but at first I figured they were just another
Philippine station and I didn't know what all the fuss was about.

73,

Wes