Old March 17th 05, 04:29 PM
Wes Stewart

Default FT5WJ Operating Freqs

Anyone know why/how these guys are selecting their operating
frequencies?

14.278 MHz for instance. They plop down in the ragchewing part of the
band and get covered up. Fortunately, I don't need them, just
wondering.

Wes N7WS

Old March 17th 05, 09:30 PM
Charlie

Had no trouble snagging them on 14.278 this morning.....

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old March 18th 05, 01:40 AM
Wes Stewart

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:30:52 -0600, "Charlie"
wrote:

Had no trouble snagging them on 14.278 this morning.....

I worked FT5/W 25 years ago but that doesn't answer my question.

Old March 18th 05, 02:41 AM
Hank Oredson

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
Anyone know why/how these guys are selecting their operating
frequencies?

14.278 MHz for instance. They plop down in the ragchewing part of the
band and get covered up. Fortunately, I don't need them, just
wondering.

Wes N7WS

There are segments reserved for ragchewing?

I thought it was a net frequency ... arn't all 20M SSB
frequencies net frequencies?

In any case their signal was S9 this morning, and S9+10
yesterday, fairly easy to work them.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

Old March 18th 05, 03:27 AM
Wes Stewart

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 02:41:34 GMT, "Hank Oredson"
wrote:

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know why/how these guys are selecting their operating
frequencies?

14.278 MHz for instance. They plop down in the ragchewing part of the
band and get covered up. Fortunately, I don't need them, just
wondering.

Wes N7WS

There are segments reserved for ragchewing?

I thought it was a net frequency ... arn't all 20M SSB
frequencies net frequencies?

In any case their signal was S9 this morning, and S9+10
yesterday, fairly easy to work them.

Depends on where you live. They were 45 (LP) this AM in AZ and the
ragchewers were 9+.

14.195 was quiet and VR2XMT on 14.210 was 59+10 and begging.

Old March 18th 05, 06:26 AM
Hank Oredson

wrote:

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know why/how these guys are selecting their operating
frequencies?

14.278 MHz for instance. They plop down in the ragchewing part of the
band and get covered up. Fortunately, I don't need them, just
wondering.

Wes N7WS

There are segments reserved for ragchewing?

I thought it was a net frequency ... arn't all 20M SSB
frequencies net frequencies?

In any case their signal was S9 this morning, and S9+10
yesterday, fairly easy to work them.

Depends on where you live. They were 45 (LP) this AM in AZ and the
ragchewers were 9+.

Oregon. Long Path. I'm on the east slope of a small mountain,
path obstructed to west, didn't matter. 100 W and 3 el SteppIR.
Twiddle beam and filters to drop rag chewers a bit. Screw down
ears and don't listen to them :-) Only call on signal peaks. Don't
bother to call when they are listening on a freq. that has two
dozen 1.5kw / 4 stack monobander folks. Wait. Listen more.
Notice they are now listening on quiet frequency and their signal is S9+.

14.195 was quiet and VR2XMT on 14.210 was 59+10 and begging.

Doesn't do me any good ;-)
Would much rather see them go to CW and more bands.

Old March 18th 05, 08:17 PM
Ragnar Otterstad

"Wes Stewart" skrev i melding
Anyone know why/how these guys are selecting their operating
frequencies?

14.278 MHz for instance. They plop down in the ragchewing part of the
band and get covered up. Fortunately, I don't need them, just
wondering. Wes N7WS

NO more ragchewing in that part of the band here than elsewhere !

73 rag LA5HE

Old March 20th 05, 02:41 PM
Charlie

Yes it does answer your question. It answers by illustrating that your
contention that they picked a "ragchewer" frequency does nothing to prevent
real DX'rs from working them no matter what freq they decide to use.
Gee..they didn't check with you first?

Moreover just because so-and-so freq was clear from your qth in AZ does not
mean the same was so for the other side of the globe for the
dxpeditioners....I would have thought you would have known that Wes....your
ubiquitous DX pontifications not withstanding.

--

Charlie - AD5TH

Old March 20th 05, 04:18 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:41:35 -0600, "Charlie"
wrote:

Yes it does answer your question. It answers by illustrating that your
contention that they picked a "ragchewer" frequency does nothing to prevent
real DX'rs from working them no matter what freq they decide to use.
Gee..they didn't check with you first?

Moreover just because so-and-so freq was clear from your qth in AZ does not
mean the same was so for the other side of the globe for the
dxpeditioners....I would have thought you would have known that Wes....your
ubiquitous DX pontifications not withstanding.

Having a bad day Charlie?

BTW, worked them this morning just for the hell of it.