Old July 18th 03, 10:07 PM
Jackie

wrote in message

I wish I was moving to a place where I could have a loop. Seems so easy and
yet, they work great.

I've never worked 5W--still on my "makes me drool!" list. :-)

I was lucky that night-- I wasn't even aware they were on the air-- and I
was just tuning around on 17 meters (one of my fave bands) and came across
them. I wasn't sure where 5W was, so when I looked 'em up, bang! I leapt
into the pile-up and put out my call a few times, and they came back to me
with a 5/5 report. I worked T2YL on 17 meters as well. I really like that
band. It's not as crowded as 20. I made a dipole just for 17 meters. I wish
I didn't have to take it down, but someday I'll put 'er back up again, when
I get my own house.

There have been lots of articles in the magazines about
stealth antennas; you might find some in the ARRL's website,
or by buying a stack of back QSTs at a hamfest. There are
*lots* of possibilities, if you don't mind experimenting!

There are sure lots of 'em... seems like everyone I've talked to who's ever
had to use a 'stealth' antenna has their own theories about what works best.
I guess any antenna is better than none. I have considered some indoor
antennas, but really want to get one outside. I do have a balcony and should
be able to at least put a portable HF antenna on it.

Have you read W9KNI's book, _The Complete DXer_?
There's a new edition (3rd) out and it's FULL of exceedingly
helpful (IMO) thoughts, advice, tips.

Have not read it yet, but I plan on ordering it soon. I see it's in print
again now. Friends have told me, if you're a DXer, get this book... so I
will!

73,

Jackie

Old July 18th 03, 10:09 PM
Jackie

"Old DXer" Old wrote in message
Lots of stealth antenna ideas at URL:
http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#STANT

Paydirt! I love the AC6V site, but there is SO much information on it, and
I'm such a new ham, that I have not even gotten to that section yet.

I would venture to say that AC6V has one of the most complete ham sites on
the Internet, from what I've come across so far...

73 to OldDXer and all,

Jackie

Old July 18th 03, 10:48 PM
Old DXer

The Complete DXer ia s great DX book as is ON4UN's Low Band DXing.

Also a new DX Book on the market -- look at DX101x -- in HRO and other
stores.

See outline et al at URL: http://ac6v.com/DXSAMPLE.htm

Old July 19th 03, 04:00 AM
Jackie

So you keep on saying (three times at the last count).

Sorry... my ISP burped this morning. I only hit the "send" button once, but
the message was held up in a queue until it finally posted later on--
thrice.

However, it would be much more informative to your readers if you
would have indicated your callsign, or at least say where you are
located. All that South Pacific stuff would be very nice DX if you
are located in Central Europe, but not much of a challenge if you are
in Southern California or New Zealand.

I understand, but I will not post my callsign on Usenet, because there are
creeps lurking on Usenet groups who can look up my address and other
pertinent information on various callsign databases. I would perhaps not be
as concerned if I weren't female.

So, as far as location goes, I live in the north-central part of the United
States, very close to the Canadian border. About as close to the geographic
center of North America as one can get... pretty far from any oceans!

Jackie

Old July 19th 03, 08:50 AM
54-46 was my number

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:28:43 -0400, --Bill--
wrote:

Bingo...and don't forget sunrise times on 40. I whacked off a string of
KH6 and JA on 40 during the contest with my HW-16 and dipole.

Where from?????

73 de G3NYY

KP4.
-Bill

Old July 19th 03, 11:35 AM
helmsman

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:00:11 GMT, "Jackie"
wrote:
I understand, but I will not post my callsign on Usenet, because there are
creeps lurking on Usenet groups who can look up my address and other
pertinent information on various callsign databases. I would perhaps not be
as concerned if I weren't female.

Fear not, Colt is the great equalizer! Be a big girl and use your
rights. Get a CCW permit.

So, as far as location goes, I live in the north-central part of the United
States, very close to the Canadian border. About as close to the geographic
center of North America as one can get... pretty far from any oceans!

Jackie

The next time take a book out of the library the
feds will know what you are reading.
http://www.ala.org/Content/Navigatio...atriot_Act.htm