Old July 19th 03, 11:35 AM
helmsman

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:00:11 GMT, "Jackie"
wrote:
I understand, but I will not post my callsign on Usenet, because there are
creeps lurking on Usenet groups who can look up my address and other
pertinent information on various callsign databases. I would perhaps not be
as concerned if I weren't female.

Fear not, Colt is the great equalizer! Be a big girl and use your
rights. Get a CCW permit.

So, as far as location goes, I live in the north-central part of the United
States, very close to the Canadian border. About as close to the geographic
center of North America as one can get... pretty far from any oceans!

Jackie

The next time take a book out of the library the
feds will know what you are reading.
http://www.ala.org/Content/Navigatio...atriot_Act.htm
Old July 19th 03, 02:12 PM
Jim Reisert

Check out this list:

http://www.yccc.org/Links/books.htm

73 - Jim AD1C
Old July 19th 03, 02:12 PM
Jim Reisert

Old July 19th 03, 02:33 PM
Old DXer

Jackie is correct. Whether male or female, posting your name, callsign, and
e-mail address is an invitation to real harassment by the nuts.

In addition to harassment. they can sign you up for undesirable mail, chat
rooms, singles, porno, etc that you never want to receive. Even phone calls
from the nuts once they track you down. Has happened to several decent
posters I know of -- including this old DXer.

One Ham here had a face to face confrontation with a wacko that stalked him.
Sad fact of the times.

Being anon does not detract from the credibility of ones posts. So what if
you give your name and callsign -- you can be as wrong as any anon poster.

Back to the subject, yes DX is getting tougher with the conditions at
present, but going lower in frequency, improving antennas, and above all
persistence will still net some interesting DX.
-----------------------

"Jackie" wrote in message
So you keep on saying (three times at the last count).

Sorry... my ISP burped this morning. I only hit the "send" button once,

but
the message was held up in a queue until it finally posted later on--
thrice.

However, it would be much more informative to your readers if you
would have indicated your callsign, or at least say where you are
located. All that South Pacific stuff would be very nice DX if you
are located in Central Europe, but not much of a challenge if you are
in Southern California or New Zealand.

Old July 19th 03, 03:21 PM
Old DXer

Excellent list Jim -- found a couple I haven't read. Thanks

73
Old But Still Dxing

Old July 19th 03, 10:08 PM
Jackie

"helmsman" wrote in message

Fear not, Colt is the great equalizer! Be a big girl and use your rights.

Get a CCW permit.

Nah, thanks. As far as self-protection goes, I took many years of martial
arts training, and am not afraid to go where and when I want to (within
reason, of course).

The state I live in just passed a conceal and carry law. Now, many people
are pushing for its repeal, and most businesses have effectively banned
anyone from carrying weapons on premises anyway... all they have to do is
put up a big sign (in certain typeface, and which conforms to a particular
size in square inches) that says "Guns are banned in these premises", and no
one with guns can enter. After the C&C law was passed, many businesses
quickly rushed to have the signs printed up and displayed prominently by
their points of entrance.

After he took an early retirement from ironworking due to a back injury, my
dad became a gunsmith. As kids, my younger brother and I understood that
any guns which were in the house were not to be touched or even breathed
near, and they were always locked away in safes. Both of us had to take
firearm safety training as teenagers, but I never got interested in hunting
or sport shooting.

Jackie