Old August 15th 03, 02:37 PM
Harry George

Default what is a relay in a pileup?

Newbie question: This morning on 20m I was listening to a pileup for a
mobile in Minnesota who was 33 from my G5RV near Seattle. I could
hear some of the callers but not many. Suddenly a very strong signal
came on offering to relay for the mobile (I think). It was very rapid
fire for quite a while, and then the strong signal bowed out and
someone thanked him for the help.

It was all happening to fast for me to follow. What was I hearing?

KD7VEY
Old August 15th 03, 07:37 PM
Harry George

Steven R. Adell - KF2TI writes:

In article , says...
Newbie question: This morning on 20m I was listening to a pileup for a
mobile in Minnesota who was 33 from my G5RV near Seattle. I could
hear some of the callers but not many. Suddenly a very strong signal
came on offering to relay for the mobile (I think). It was very rapid
fire for quite a while, and then the strong signal bowed out and
someone thanked him for the help.

It was all happening to fast for me to follow. What was I hearing?

KD7VEY

Chances are, there were many stations trying to get through to the
mobile without success and this fella offered to act as net control
(let's not start this thread again..dead horse yada yada yada)for the
mobile station. SInce this other fella could probably hear the stations
trying to contact the mobile, he's offering to relay the callers call-
signs to the mobile, who then work the mobile and this fella offers up
the next callsign he hears

Different schools of thought on this topic/subject

HAve a nice week-end

An email response asked if it was 14.336 and said this was a "Mobile
Emergency and County Hunters Net." It was in fact that frequency, so
that's what I was hearing. That also explains why evryone was
mentioning counties.

BTW, after posting the question, I realized Seattle to Minnesota is a
long way but not officially DX. What would be the right group to ask
this question?

Old August 15th 03, 08:31 PM
Dave Shrader

In addition to the other responses there is another possibility.

If you were listening to one of the nets; Intercon, Maritime Mobile,
etc. it was likely a station offering assistance to net control so that
the net control could recognize or honor the mobile station's request.

A Minnesota station would not be normal 'DX' but may have been operating
from an Island or Lighthouse or Museum Ship etc. In this situation I
would not honor an assisted QSO. [Note to the DX purists: I have worked
DX on the DX nets but never QSL'd an assisted contact].

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Old August 15th 03, 10:52 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

This is a good place -- as many DXers work a variety of things, counties,
10-10, IOTA, WAS, lighthouses, etc.

I'm working on my WAS -- not states but Worked all Streets.

BTW, after posting the question, I realized Seattle to Minnesota is a
long way but not officially DX. What would be the right group to ask
this question?

Someone mentioned being "soiled" by working nets or a list.
Hey work what you want how you want. just mums the word at the DX club --
some get livid.