Old September 30th 03, 05:10 PM
Derek Wills

Default dumb question about BPL

I know the proposed BPL system uses frequencies from 2-80 MHz
and I belive it uses spread spectrum. Does it have to use
every possible freq in that range or could it skip the ham
bands if we kick up enough fuss?

It seems pretty clear to me that it will happen - 150,000 hams
are outnumbered by more than 100:1 by those who want broadband
delivered to the doorstep.

Not only do I think it will happen, but I also expect the RFI
levels to be "adjusted" so as to allow more pollution - hey,
it works for greenhouse gas and power plants and......

Derek aa5bt
Old September 30th 03, 06:19 PM
Hank Oredson

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
I know the proposed BPL system uses frequencies from 2-80 MHz
and I belive it uses spread spectrum. Does it have to use
every possible freq in that range or could it skip the ham
bands if we kick up enough fuss?

I'm guessing it will make enough of a mess that harmonics will
also be a problem.

It seems pretty clear to me that it will happen - 150,000 hams
are outnumbered by more than 100:1 by those who want broadband
delivered to the doorstep.

You make the assumption that BPL will actually deliver broadband!
It is one of the stupidest proposals I've seen.

Not only do I think it will happen, but I also expect the RFI
levels to be "adjusted" so as to allow more pollution - hey,
it works for greenhouse gas and power plants and......

Exactly.

"Gee, we need more signal to get the bandwidth we need."
"Those hams are causing interference to our network, get them off air."

Derek aa5bt

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old October 1st 03, 12:07 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
I know the proposed BPL system uses frequencies from 2-80 MHz
and I belive it uses spread spectrum. Does it have to use
every possible freq in that range or could it skip the ham
bands if we kick up enough fuss?

It seems pretty clear to me that it will happen - 150,000 hams
are outnumbered by more than 100:1 by those who want broadband
delivered to the doorstep.

Not only do I think it will happen, but I also expect the RFI
levels to be "adjusted" so as to allow more pollution - hey,
it works for greenhouse gas and power plants and......

Derek aa5bt

Keep in mind that the non-ham frequencies are also used by somebody
(government, commercial interests, etc.). So skipping around the ham
frequencies doesn't really solve the problem. Some one is going to be
interfered with.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 1st 03, 03:17 AM
Derek Wills

Keep in mind that the non-ham frequencies are also used by somebody
(government, commercial interests, etc.). So skipping around the ham
frequencies doesn't really solve the problem. Some one is going to be
interfered with.

Yes, of course, but they are not always right up against the power
lines as the typical ham is.

Derek aa5bt

Old October 1st 03, 04:09 AM
Hank Oredson

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
Keep in mind that the non-ham frequencies are also used by somebody
(government, commercial interests, etc.). So skipping around the ham
frequencies doesn't really solve the problem. Some one is going to be
interfered with.

Yes, of course, but they are not always right up against the power
lines as the typical ham is.

I bet most, if not all of them, have power lines
going directly into their facilities. In many cases
they may have more than one feed.

Old October 1st 03, 03:33 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Hank Oredson wrote:
It seems pretty clear to me that it will happen - 150,000 hams
are outnumbered by more than 100:1 by those who want broadband
delivered to the doorstep.

You make the assumption that BPL will actually deliver broadband!
It is one of the stupidest proposals I've seen.

That, and most of the people who are willing to pay the price for
broadband already have it.

It's my understanding that BPL has already failed financially in Germany
and early plans for deployment in the U.K. seem to have slowed down
substantially. I'm of the sense that both cable and DSL are far more
common in the U.S. than in Europe - that if BPL couldn't make a go of it
in Europe where comparatively few consumers already have a competing
technology, then it's even less likely to work (financially) in the U.S.
where the competition does have a solid head start.

My fear...

is that the power companies really aren't all that interested in
providing broadband internet. They're tired of being cited for leaky
insulators and want to get the Part 15 limits raised so they don't have
to bother fixing them.

I note with interest they're talking about using frequencies as high as
80MHz. All three major TV network affiliates here are on low-band VHF
channels 2, 4, and 5. An S6 signal in the 54-82MHz band will cause
harmful interference to all three stations. And the digital TV
conversion won't solve the problem - the CBS station's digital
assignment is 56 which means they're going to be back on channel 5 -
76-82MHz - at the end of transition. Judging from how ATSC digital TV
deals with impulse noise, I suspect an S6 BPL signal in TV channel 5
will make digital reception on that channel impossible.

Channels 2, 4, and 5 are used for major stations in Boston, NYC,
Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, and many
other smaller cities. National Association of Broadcasters vs. the
electric power industry. Could be an interesting battle.

(I wonder what an S6 BPL signal at 49MHz would do to a baby monitor?)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

I have a dumb question about antenna building [email protected] Antenna 23 January 16th 05 11:39 PM
Dumb Question Dept. - Antenna Angle Zachary Taylor Antenna 14 December 6th 04 12:22 AM
Hopefully not a dumb question per CATV Ace Antenna 1 November 3rd 04 06:00 PM
Dumb question? Jim Leder Antenna 8 September 23rd 04 10:04 PM
Yagi / Beam antenna theory question... Nick C Antenna 12 October 5th 03 12:15 PM