Old January 5th 04, 04:09 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Richard Eckman" wrote in message
news:ym4Kb.34762$F22.17774@lakeread02...
There's nothing unethical about this process! The manager gets loads of
IRCs and replies to the cards via airmail, as would be expected. But,

rather
than redeeming them at the Post Office for $0.80 (in the US), he/she sells
them for face value or a slight markup (I've seen them go for $0.80-$1.10
recently) to other DXers as a service. That way, DXers get the IRCs at a
significant discount compared to Post Office prices and the manager gets
what he would have if he had redeemed them at the Post Office, or possibly

slight profit that can be rolled into printing more QSL cards or other
operating expenses.

Some one bought them at post office prices originally. And somewhere along
the line the QSL manager has to buy postage. If he is buying postage for
$0.80 and selling the IRCs for $1 that is probably illegal.

I haven't purchased an IRC from the Post Office since the early 1970s,
when they were considerably less expensive. I've never redeemed an IRC at
the Post Office. I've been buying them from QSL managers for years. They
simply continue making the rounds as a sort of currency. The new IRCs have
an expiration date which will somewhat short circuit this wonderful

process.
I certainly appreciate the efforts of Derek and other QSL managers for
selling IRCs back to the DX community.

Since they were never intended to be "currency" this is probably illegal and
no doubt one of several reasons that expiration dates are now put on them.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Richard Eckman

I would seriously doubt that there is any law (in the US) that makes this
practice illegal. Amateur radio operators are hardly the only group that
barters IRCs. Do a Google search on "International Reply Coupons Barter" and
you'll see that this is a very common practice. I'm worried about a lot of
things, but not about a visit from the Post Office Police!

Rich Eckman KO4MR
Hampton, VA

--

gy.com...

Old January 5th 04, 04:58 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Dee D. Flint wrote:

If he is buying postage for $0.80 and selling the IRCs for $1 that is probably illegal.

Since they were never intended to be "currency" this is probably illegal

What!!! That's an outrage! We better shock and awe before they develop
nuclear weapons.

WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old January 5th 04, 09:13 AM

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 03:09:39 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

Some one bought them at post office prices originally. And somewhere along
the line the QSL manager has to buy postage. If he is buying postage for
$0.80 and selling the IRCs for $1 that is probably illegal.

Dee Dee. Scurry on back over to QRZ.Com and argue with the repeater
geeks, where your inexperience with ham radio doesn't stick out so
much, like it does here.

You been smokin' RG59 again?

73, Jim KH2D

Old January 5th 04, 09:14 AM

On 5 Jan 2004 06:30:33 GMT, Bob Nielsen
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 03:09:39 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

Just as fruitcakes get passed back and forth and are hardly ever eaten.

73, Bob N7XY

I think in this particular case, QRZ.Com has definitly passed us a
fruit cake.....

73, Jim KH2D

Old January 5th 04, 10:08 AM

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:22:33 -0500, "Richard Eckman"
wrote:

I would seriously doubt that there is any law (in the US) that makes this
practice illegal. Amateur radio operators are hardly the only group that
barters IRCs. Do a Google search on "International Reply Coupons Barter" and
you'll see that this is a very common practice. I'm worried about a lot of
things, but not about a visit from the Post Office Police!

Rich Eckman KO4MR
Hampton, VA

For that matter, is there even a law that says I can't buy
$0.37 stamps at the PO and sell them for a buck? It certainly doesn't
seem to be a problem for third party stamp machines that take a cut
for the convenience of not having to go to the PO.

Klein formaat IRC's nog inwisselbaar ? arie Antenna 2 June 30th 04 10:03 AM
Klein formaat IRC's nog inwisselbaar ? arie Antenna 0 June 30th 04 08:52 AM
WTB IRC's John Passaneau Dx 0 November 3rd 03 03:17 PM
WTB IRC's John Passaneau Dx 0 November 3rd 03 03:17 PM