Old May 22nd 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Gerry

Default Research project

Can anyone help me with research for my degree.

I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I'm researching the effects of
RF fields on electrical activity in the brain. This particular form of
mental illness may be specifically at risk.

Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?

Thanks

Gerry

Old May 22nd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Dan" wrote in message
"Gerry" wrote:
Can anyone help me with research for my degree.

I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I'm researching the effects of
RF fields on electrical activity in the brain. This particular form of
mental illness may be specifically at risk.

Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?

Thanks

Gerry - all you have to do is read the posts here to learn just how crazy
some hams are.

Actually, the rf fields involved in ham work are relatively weak -
compared, say to people who work on megawatt or gigawatt transmitters such
as DEWline rigs.

I've been a ham for 50 years and I don't believe there is any higher
incidence of mental illness in that population than in the general public.

I agree with Dan
Maybe study the cell phone population who has a silly phone a few inches
from the brain ALL DAY LONG

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old May 23rd 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Brian

Can anyone help me with research for my degree.

I'm looking for information on ham radio enthusiasts who suffer from
manic depression (bipolar syndrome). I have a theory about rf fields
and their effect on electrical activity in the brain. I believe this particular form of mental illness could be
specifically at risk.

Can you put me in contact with anyone who could help me?

The only one I know is a guy in the Orkneys. GM3POI - his name
is Clive Penna. Apparently he has a manic episode every nine
days regular as clockwork - and that's pretty severe from what
Ive been told.

I can't see him helping you with info though. He's not the type.

Brian.

Old May 23rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Ken

The only one I know is a guy in the Orkneys. GM3POI - his name
is Clive Penna. Apparently he has a manic episode every nine
days regular as clockwork - and that's pretty severe from what
Ive been told.

That's very interesting. Stories have been circulating about him for years.
First time I've heard the details though. Explains a few anecdotes that
do the rounds from time to time.

And I agree, a nine-day cycle of manic depression is not at all good.
Some sufferers only have an episode every few months (or even years).

Nine days - yike !!

Ken (N8***)

Research project Gerry Equipment 3 May 28th 06 10:00 PM
Research project: Boy/older male relationships None Shortwave 16 July 2nd 04 12:38 PM
Anyone have mid 1960s Spiegel catalogs? (radio history research project) K5DH Boatanchors 0 November 7th 03 01:40 PM
Anyone have mid 1960s Spiegel catalogs? (radio history research project) K5DH CB 0 November 7th 03 01:40 PM
Using ham bands for educational / research project Leo Szumel Policy 23 August 3rd 03 04:06 PM