Old April 26th 04, 07:26 AM
Peter Lemken

Hank Oredson wrote:
"Peter Lemken" wrote in message
Hank Oredson wrote:
Ignore the idiots who complain about FREE software.
They would probably complain about FREE beer as well.
"I only drink Amstel. Get me some for free."

It's more like: "Please give me your wonderful, free, well tasting beer,

but
please be so kind as to serve it in a glass I brought with me, not in a
contaminated paper cup full of holes."

You are quite confused.

No, I am not.

Free Software is not free as in "free beer", it's a lot more than that.
It's also as far from idiotic as you can get.

If you don't like the free software, don't use it.
Simple, is it not so?

No, it is not, but it is obvious that you fail to see the difference between
free and free of charge. Until you grasp the concept of Free Software
(www.fsf.org is a good start), you should not use words like "simple".

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
Old April 26th 04, 07:32 AM
Peter Lemken

Bob Headrick wrote:

Ham Radio Deluxe is a great program, with lots of features, a responsive author
and it is *free*. I would suggest you try using it, assming you have one of
the many programs that is supports.

That's a wrong assumption. I don't have any of these Windows programs and
have no intention of buying any of them.

Simon has put a lot of effort into this program over a number of years, and has
added many features and improvements based on inputs from users.

Fine. It would have been a major improvement and a killer feature to have
the program available on a platform that is not Windows. You can read the
answer to this suggestion in this very thread.

It seems to me that Simon has *exactly* the ham radio spirit.

You must be part of that large audience someone kept rambling about.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Old April 27th 04, 08:37 AM
Dave, AA6YQ

The point, Peter, is that you are free to create applications that run on
whatever platform you like. Whining because someone else won't do it for you
is inappropriate.

Eclipse provides a nice rich client environment, and a powerful set of
development tools for constructing GUI-based applications; its open source,
free, runs on Linux, and has an OSI-approved license. You can even use
aspect-oriented Java.What are you waiting for?

I'm suspect you know that comments like "because we wanted a large audience"
are flamebait, and should simply be ignored.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Old May 8th 04, 02:48 AM

"Peter Lemken" wrote in message

You are quite confused.

No, I am not.

Free Software is not free as in "free beer", it's a lot more

than that.
It's also as far from idiotic as you can get.

If you don't like the free software, don't use it.
Simple, is it not so?

No, it is not, but it is obvious that you fail to see the difference

between
free and free of charge. Until you grasp the concept of Free

Software
(www.fsf.org is a good start), you should not use words like

"simple".

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Abbie Hoffman: Free means you don't have to pay for it.

Anyone can, of course, define words to mean exactly what they want
them to mean (reference: Through the Looking Glass).

I hereby define free as "I ain't gotta pay for it."

Paul AB0SI