Old October 25th 04, 10:15 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

I have hi speed cable and I bought a router and connected my two computers
(upstairs and downstairs) via a run of lan line.

Another solution is to connect to a local VHF Packet Cluster. Check with
DXers in your area for a VHF packet cluster in your area.
U will need a VHF radio, a TNC, and a dumb terminal or computer.
Computer speed is not important for either method and any of the older desk
or laptops will work fine.

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

"G. Doughty" wrote in message
Thank you, however, I do not have internet access upstairs. Only a phone
line. Is there a way to access via phone or is that too much to ask? I
don't have aol or anything, just broadband in one spot in the house and my
shack is upstairs.

Thanks again
Greg
ki4bbl

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Telnet connections can be found at URL:

http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Misc/cluster.html

10M is pretty grim now as we are on the down slide of the solar cycle --

but
some openings are still occurring as you will see when you connect to a
packet cluster via telnet.

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Old October 25th 04, 10:49 PM
G. Doughty

Excellent. I think I may try the vhf route. I have an extra ht so maybe
that will work. If not, I will run the cable up the stairs. Two babies in
the house though. I don't get on the air that much but when I do, I like to
cw dx if the propagation is right. Thanks for the suggestions.

73

Old October 26th 04, 12:37 AM
Dee D. Flint

"G. Doughty" wrote in message
Hello to all,

Looking to give DX a try. I have two attic dipoles for 20 and 40 meters.

have a ten-tec scout 555 that runs 50 watts wide open. Anyways, I am

trying
to find a "node" to use on my laptop but am unsure what I need. I think

all
I need is a 10m radio (I have an htx 10) antenna (easy enough for a dipole
in the attic) and a computer. Is that true? Also, with the computer, I

am
aware of Telnet, but how do I access a local node? I am probably talking
out of my arse, but I think it would be interesting to get it all hooked

up.
I use a computer logger but I think I can access the node through a phone

if
need be. If it sounds like I'm confused, I am. A little help will go a
long way.

Thanks so much

It might be easiest at this point in your learning curve to simply dial up
and down the band of interest and find the stations that way. You don't
have to have a computer or DX spotting aids or anything else to work DX.
The DX spots are from all over the country and thus the DX listed might not
be audible in your area due to band conditions. Even a "local node" has
listings from all over that you may or may not be able to hear. At least by
dialing, you will find stations that you can hear in your location.

There are several ways that you can use the DX spotting aids.

1. Connect your computer to the internet. The use a terminal program like
Hyperterm (free with windows) use the connect function to connect to the
system that you want. I happen to use www.dxspots.com. The first type you
connect, it will ask for your call sign, location and other info. After
that it will just ask for the call sign. Some of the logging programs allow
you to bring up the DX spotting sites without using a separate program.

2. Instead of using a terminal program, you can connect to the DX site
directly. Just bring up Internet Explorer and type in www.dxspots.com and
you can see the spots that way.

3. Instead of the internet, you can use 2m packet radio in some (but not
all areas). Here you need a TNC or interface to connect between radio and
computer. Once you have the hardware all hooked together (2m packet radio,
TNC or interface, and computer), you will need software to run it. If you
go with the TNC, you can just use a simple terminal program like Hyperterm.
If you go with just an interface between computer and radio, you will need
software to decode the packet info.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 26th 04, 01:57 AM
Peter Dougherty

"G. Doughty" said :

Thank you, however, I do not have internet access upstairs. Only a phone
line. Is there a way to access via phone or is that too much to ask? I
don't have aol or anything, just broadband in one spot in the house and my
shack is upstairs.

Telnet is a text-only connection type between a server and your remote
node. Telnetting to a node is extremely easily, but there are ways of
making it easier still.

Get yourself a broadband router with 802.11 wireless, also known as
WiFi. They're relatively cheap, they serve as a nice hardware firewall
and with a WiFi card in your shack computer you can easily telnet to
one or more clusters and watch the spots roll in. An added bonus is
that WiFi cards don't generate the hash that most Cat 5e network
cables generate (a real problem for me, especially on 20m).

Once you have a connection to the 'net, I'd suggest using the VE7CC AR
Cluster config software. Bring it up, connect to the cluster of your
choice (there are hundreds of them -- pick one near you or even just
one with a 4 in its call if you're unsure). It doesn't really matter,
so long as it's a North American cluster.

Use the VE7CC software to configure that cluster connection to only
show you only the DX spots you want to see. For example, I'm not
interested in anything above 30 MHz, 60m or 160m, so I exclude those
spots. I also exclude any spots which originate outside of the 1,2, 3
& 8 call areas plus Canada west of Ontario (I'm in NYC). No sense
seeing how many west coasters are picking Asia clean on 15 long after
the band's dead closed in the east (my blood pressure's high enough,
hi hi).

Of course, you really should just rely on tuning the bands as your
primary source of DX hunting, but if you're going to use spotting,
telnetting in is really a nice, easy to use and powerful way to go.

You can telnet in on dialup, but depending on your terminal client
(the program you use to display what comes back), it may just
summarily close on you once the connection is lost. Having software
that keeps the spots after the connectiond dumps is a significant
advantage.

Don't forget, if you choose to use a computer log, most good ones have
a packet/telnet cluster interface as well so you can see at a glance
when a spot comes in if you need it as an all-time new country, new
band or new mode. In contests I find a steady cluster connection to be
a lifesaver (no more busted calls -- of course, you have to enter as
"assisted").

Good Luck!

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Old October 26th 04, 05:51 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

G. Doughty wrote:
Hello to all,

Looking to give DX a try. I have two attic dipoles for 20 and 40 meters. I
have a ten-tec scout 555 that runs 50 watts wide open. Anyways, I am trying
to find a "node" to use on my laptop but am unsure what I need. I think all
I need is a 10m radio (I have an htx 10) antenna (easy enough for a dipole
in the attic) and a computer. Is that true? Also, with the computer, I am
aware of Telnet, but how do I access a local node? I am probably talking
out of my arse, but I think it would be interesting to get it all hooked up.
I use a computer logger but I think I can access the node through a phone if
need be. If it sounds like I'm confused, I am. A little help will go a
long way.

I wouldn't worry about a spotting network at this point in the game.
With simple antennas and low power, anything that gets spotted will
probably be difficult to impossible to work. You're better off tuning
around the bands and finding the DX yourself.

It can be helpful to look at the spots to get a general idea of what
conditions are like. http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs is a good place to
start. It'll tell you what part of the world is being heard in what
other part of the world on what band.

If you do decide to try to access a local cluster node, you need a *2m*
radio and antenna, and a packet TNC. You'll have to ask locally about
what frequency is in use -- in some areas it is possible there is no
accessible local node. (at which point you're best off using the
Internet)

================================

A few DXing hints:

- If you aren't already proficient at CW, learn it. Practice, practice,
practice... Low power is better at breaking pileups on CW.

- Get on for contests. A LOT of DX will be on. (and the biggest phone
contest of all is this coming weekend) A lot will be on from countries
that can be difficult to work at other times. And especially on Sunday,
DX in some overall very rare countries will be begging for QSOs - will
be easy to work. If conditions are any good at all, you ought to be
able to work 30 countries or more with your station this weekend.

- Be sure you have envelopes at the QSL Bureau. That's how most of your
DX will QSL.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 26th 04, 05:54 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Peter Dougherty wrote:
band or new mode. In contests I find a steady cluster connection to be
a lifesaver (no more busted calls -- of course, you have to enter as
"assisted").

Dunno, seeing some of the busted spots that show up during a contest one
has to begin to wonder whether *not* having cluster constitutes
"assistance"grin!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com

Antenna for 80m and limited space SMØIMJ Antenna 6 July 29th 06 08:54 PM
suggestions for a limited space HF antenna.. vertical or dipole N2EY Antenna 0 May 28th 04 09:15 PM
Comparative Reference to Internet Resources for Antennas and Other Related Topics pez/sv7bax/dag Antenna 0 April 16th 04 08:35 PM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 4 August 20th 03 06:03 PM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 0 July 22nd 03 05:15 AM