Old October 26th 04, 05:54 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Peter Dougherty wrote:
band or new mode. In contests I find a steady cluster connection to be
a lifesaver (no more busted calls -- of course, you have to enter as
"assisted").

Dunno, seeing some of the busted spots that show up during a contest one
has to begin to wonder whether *not* having cluster constitutes
"assistance"grin!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 26th 04, 01:08 PM
John Hague

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:37:25 +0100, Walt Davidson
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:22:47 -0400, "G. Doughty"
wrote:

Looking to give DX a try. I have two attic dipoles for 20 and 40
meters. I
have a ten-tec scout 555 that runs 50 watts wide open. Anyways, I am
trying
to find a "node" to use on my laptop but am unsure what I need. I
think all
I need is a 10m radio (I have an htx 10) antenna (easy enough for a
dipole
in the attic) and a computer. Is that true? Also, with the computer,
I am
aware of Telnet, but how do I access a local node? I am probably
talking
out of my arse, but I think it would be interesting to get it all
hooked up.
I use a computer logger but I think I can access the node through a
phone if
need be. If it sounds like I'm confused, I am. A little help will go a
long way.

Thanks so much

I can't believe I'm reading this.

Is a connection to a packet cluster now a prerequisite for working DX?
How did we manage in those far-off days before there were any packet
clusters?

73 de G3NYY

I agree to some extent. Whilst the use of packet cluster can aid DXing,in
my experience it can sometimes be frustrating. This is because, if a spot
shows up on the cluster, then EVERYONE reading the spots will be aware of
it - quite often with the inevitable pile-up. This is often difficult to
break with 100W and low-height wire antennas. However, it's so much more
rewarding to tune the band(s) and find a rare station calling CQ and be
the first one to reply.

Best 73

John, G4GOY .... 197 DXCC entities in the last 3 years

Old October 26th 04, 03:11 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Sir Walter -- we did it the old fashioned way - we earned it !
Listen listen listen tune tune tune
and you will be the first to work the rare DX

The first cluster spot is made by a DXer who performed the above

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

Old October 26th 04, 07:06 PM
Peter Dougherty

Doug Smith W9WI said :

Peter Dougherty wrote:
band or new mode. In contests I find a steady cluster connection to be
a lifesaver (no more busted calls -- of course, you have to enter as
"assisted").

Dunno, seeing some of the busted spots that show up during a contest one
has to begin to wonder whether *not* having cluster constitutes
"assistance"grin!

Yeah, that's true too, but on the whole between listening and seeing
the spots, I've not busted one in any of the contests I've played in
yet.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Old October 27th 04, 12:21 AM
G. Doughty

Thanks for the help.

ki4bbl

Old October 27th 04, 12:21 AM
G. Doughty

Thanks for the help.

ki4bbl

Old October 27th 04, 03:49 AM
William

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message news:awdfd.76614$hj.65646@fed1read07...
Telnet connections can be found at URL:

http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Misc/cluster.html

10M is pretty grim now as we are on the down slide of the solar cycle -- but
some openings are still occurring as you will see when you connect to a
packet cluster via telnet.

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

About a decade ago, QST ran an article about a ham in Texas that had
DX contacts --daily--, even during sunspot minima.

Awful news, I guess.

But even a General can get on 20M.

Antenna for 80m and limited space SMØIMJ Antenna 6 July 29th 06 08:54 PM
suggestions for a limited space HF antenna.. vertical or dipole N2EY Antenna 0 May 28th 04 09:15 PM
Comparative Reference to Internet Resources for Antennas and Other Related Topics pez/sv7bax/dag Antenna 0 April 16th 04 08:35 PM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 4 August 20th 03 06:03 PM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 0 July 22nd 03 05:15 AM