Old July 15th 03, 07:17 PM
Frank

Default TS450S: advice needed

I would buy this rig (second hand of course).
I'd like to hear advice, comments about
this rig.
Thanks in advance.

--
togli la spina x risponder mi !!!
Old July 15th 03, 07:18 PM
73 Ya All

Lots of user opinions (28 of them) at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/989

Old July 15th 03, 10:55 PM
Bob M.

I've had one for 11 years. Works very nicely. Accessories, like filters, are
probably hard to find new from Kenwood but they do show up for sale
occasionally. Easily modified to work more than the ham bands it was
originally designed for. Also works very well for AMTOR/RTTY/PACTOR (using a
PK-232MBX) as it has a true FSK input and a RTTY filter position.

They are probably worth more to the seller than the buyer would like to pay.
It's a hard rig to replace, as the newest Kenwood is ugly, leaving only rigs
such as the Icom 706.

Bob M.
======

Old July 15th 03, 11:54 PM
Mark Keith

Frank wrote in message . ..
I would buy this rig (second hand of course).
I'd like to hear advice, comments about
this rig.
Thanks in advance.

Pretty good radio. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one anytime if it were
in good shape. I like the TS-850 even better. I like the TS-950 even
better than that..:/ They are all kind of "look alikes" as far as
style etc...The 850 is a baby 950, as the 450 is a baby 850.. You can
get it with the internal tuner if needed. "TS-450AT" MK

Old July 19th 03, 04:18 AM
Fred McKenzie

I would buy this rig (second hand of course).
I'd like to hear advice, comments about
this rig.

Frank-

I have the TS-690S, which is the same as the TS-450 with the Six Meter Band
added.

Over all, I like it. There are only a few points that bother me.

The optional CTCSS Tone module (TU-7?) is set with a DIP-Switch, and cannot be
programmed to be different for different repeaters in memory. This would be
less important with the TS-450 since there are only 4 Ten Meter repeater pairs
to worry about! You probably wouldn't consider getting the tone module unless
it happens to come with your radio.

On a crowded band some signals appear to have distorted audio, especially if
you are listening to foreign broadcast stations. I found that the noise
blanker was introducing the distortion, and the problem goes away when I turn
it off.

As I recall, my noise blanker is not extremely effective. It works if I
encounter a kind of pulsed noise such as ignition noise, but is useless for
power line noise.

I'm not aware of any chronic problems with the TS-450/690. Mine has given me
no trouble even after being stored in a humid environment for several months.

73, Fred, K4DII