Old November 16th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Yaesu VX-150 Resetting it's memory periodically

Hi, I have a VX-150 that's 1 month old. It periodically resets it's
memory.
Initially I thought it was to do with the power in my truck.
However this is not the case. It has done it even without the power
connected.

Anyone have Ideas?
K0BAZ

Old December 28th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article , Howard Bingham
wrote:

I had an older Yaesu with a similar problem & was solved by the memory
battery replacement. This may take a technician to do, s some are
really burried in the radio.

Howard-

I have a brand new Kenwood TM-742 that does it. I took it apart, thinking
the battery might be bad but it wasn't. Then I noticed that about half of
the plated-through holes on that circuit board weren't! (You have to use
a magnifying glass)

Apparently temperature variations inside the car sitting in the Florida
sun, causes shrinking and expansion of the circuit board, so parts that
normally touch open up, removing battery power from the memory.

Perhaps it will solve the problem if I re-solder the holes with a tiny
wire to connect top and bottom of the board. Unfortunately some of the
holes are blocked by components on one side, and my soldering iron tip is
much too big.

Fred
K4DII