Old December 28th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Amateur radio enthusiasts fight to save Morse Code

Complete article at link below:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/...oney/morse.php
Old December 29th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I doubt that any efforts will prevail. Too many are opposed to it and those
that are opposed are the younger ones and potential new Amateurs. I hate to
see it go, as a requirement, cause I am a true believer that you respect
more what you pay for in blood or pain and suffering and although that is a
stretch to equate code with pain the principal comes through and I think
that's why many are not wanting it dropped. Amateur Radio though is the
last bastion for the code, I believe, as the Commercial Radiotelegraph
license became obsolete years ago for the maritime service and I still
regret never getting that license with radar endorsement for I think I'd be
living a lot happier and fatter right now with some of the jobs I saw posted
back in the 80's.

I thought the code requirement was effectively dropped when they reduced
the required speed to five words per minute.

.. ._ _ . _ .. . _ ..
_ . _ _ _ _
_ _ . _ . . _ . . _ . _ . _ . _

Old December 29th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

there will be more amateur operators testing for
tech then right to general at the same exam sessions.

More young and old operators will be using CW,
psk31, sstv, ssb and AM then ever before !

I compare CW to a 5 speed transmission (manual)

I use cw because I like it, I use the stick because I like it.

plenty of band space for all to use and enjoy,
use the mode you want not what others force you to use.
Old December 30th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Gary KW4Z wrote:

Amateur Radio though is the
last bastion for the code, I believe, as the Commercial Radiotelegraph
license became obsolete years ago for the maritime service

There's still something called a RadioTelegraph Operators Certificate
(as opposed to a Permit or License), which requires 20 wpm. "Examinees
must copy by ear and send by hand plain text and code groups in the
international Morse code",
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/exam.html.

Are there any radiotelegraph stations still in operation?