Old September 6th 03, 10:10 PM
Leland C. Scott

Default IC-706MKIIG AM filter?

Does anybody know of a 5 or 6 KHz wide AM filter
for the Icom 706mkiig rig? The standard 8 KHz
filter is way too wide. Somebody once suggested
using a filter from another Icom rig and plugging
it in to one of the unused optional filter slots
in the 706. Has anybody done this, and if so does
it work?

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL Member
NCI Member

Charter member of the
Lawrence Technological University
Wireless Society W8LTU

Old September 7th 03, 06:08 AM
Gary P. Fiber

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:10:03 -0400, "Leland C. Scott"
wrote:

Does anybody know of a 5 or 6 KHz wide AM filter
for the Icom 706mkiig rig? The standard 8 KHz
filter is way too wide. Somebody once suggested
using a filter from another Icom rig and plugging
it in to one of the unused optional filter slots
in the 706. Has anybody done this, and if so does
it work?

Take a spin in the initial set mode filter menu and see if there is a
selection for an AM filter. I don't remember one being available. If
none are available the 706MKIIG will not know to select that path when
in AM mode. so that would mean changing out the soldered in filter to
one of a narrower bandwidth.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
Registered Linux User # 312991

Old September 7th 03, 04:05 PM
Alan Beagley

You'd have to pick a filter that uses the same IF frequency. Different
Icom rigs use different frequencies.

What about listening to AM broadcasts using LSB or USB mode?

-=-
Alan AB2OS

On 09/06/03 05:10 pm Leland C. Scott put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

Old September 11th 03, 12:13 AM
Fred McKenzie

Does anybody know of a 5 or 6 KHz wide AM filter
for the Icom 706mkiig rig?

Leland-

There is an FL-102, 6 KHz 9 MHz IF AM filter listed in an old catalog for the
IC-775DSP. AES has it still listed, but as discontinued. Since this radio
uses some of the same 9 MHz filters, it might be possible the FL-102 would be
compatible with the IC-706 if a) you can find a place to put it, and b) you can
find a way to select it while in AM mode.

I have the original IC-706 with a narrow sideband filter installed. When in AM
mode, it is possible to select a "NAR" filter, but I'm not sure if it is
choosing the stock SSB filter, or the optional narrow SSB filter. I suspect it
is using the stock filter, but haven't done a test to find out.

I suppose the easiest case would be if the FL-102 fits in place of your
original AM filter.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old September 15th 03, 12:59 AM
Leland C. Scott

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
.
[...]

It looks like you have to mod the rig to get it to
correctly select the optional filter
in AM mode.

http://kj9t.150m.com/706M2G_AM_Mod/index.html

--