RadioBanter

-   -   Kenwood TS-450 repair (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/11588-kenwood-ts-450-repair.html)

James September 21st 03 10:22 PM

Kenwood TS-450 repair

I wish to repair my own Kenwood TS-450S-AT and to begin from
somewhere, I'd like to know what other 450's users think of the
current situation:

1) When I power the rig, I have no audio at all and no
trasmitting. The display shows a row of dots. If I move the
main dial, the frequency appears normally, but if I release it,
after half a second the dots appear again.

2) Some other times, when I give power I have both audio and
trasmitting and the display works well, but the audio in SSB/CW
modes is totally distorted, while it is ok in AM/FM modes.
However after 5-20 minutes of rx, the situation becomes that
described at point 1.

3) I have read of the battery problem in the 450, so I found
the lithium battery and measured it. It gives 3.28 V, is that
normal? Since the rig is approaching ten years I think I will
change it anyway, but I don't know if it is a problem now!

4) On the bottom side of the rig, near the place for the 455 kHz
cw filter (I have the 8.83 one, so this place is empty), there
is a 3-wire connector labeled "W3". The short cable, with a
similar connector on the other side, is attached to... nothing.
But I don't see any place to attach it, even if I look at the
whole board. Unfortunately I lack the 450/690 service manual
and I did not find this connector on the istruction manual
schemes. This MAY be normal, though.

My conclusions, for now:

a) When things are ok, except for SSB/CW, the problem should
arise in the second IF at 455 kHz. Either the CAR Unit does
not give a correct 455 kHz carrier or something is wrong in
the IF mixer chip or near it. In fact this chip is used only
in ssb/cw/fsk modes.

b) When the rig is almost dead, perhaps there is something wrong
in the digital/display unit. Lithium battery? Some digital chip,
which one?

c) Also the mere power could be a problem. My supply, 13.8 V 40 A
max, looks good, but internally there are circuits to obtain the
different voltages required and these could be damaged.

I am mainly looking for the service manual (someone has scanned
it?), but all other advices are welcome.

James

Bob M. September 22nd 03 02:52 AM

W3 connects to the TU-8 tone unit, which uses DIP switches to generate one
of about 40 PL or other tones. This would only be activated if you enabled
the front panel TONE switch, and probably would only be useful on FM.

My unit draws a solid 20 amps when transmitting, and if the power supply is
set to current limit at that point, it will do so. I'm using an Astron
VS-35M supply set to about 14v and full current, which should be good for 35
amps max, and have only had a problem when the current limit was set lower.
I doubt your power supply is a problem on receive, unless it's very low
(less than 8 volts) or very high (more than 18 volts).

The lithium battery should be used just for memory retention, and they're
normally around 3.6v, so 3.28 isn't too bad, but probably time to be
replaced anyway. My unit is 11 years old and I should look into the same
battery replacement in mine.

The rest of your symptoms are very strange. I can offer no help at all.
Obviously something is wrong, but I can't even begin to tell you what to
look for.

Bob M.
======

Hank Oredson September 22nd 03 03:37 AM

One simple thing to try: loosen and retighten all screws that
hold down circuit boards; wiggle all jumper connectors, so
they are reseated and the contacts wiped a bit. This cured
several really strange problems on my very old TS-930.

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Geoffrey S. Mendelson September 22nd 03 12:46 PM

In article , Bob M. wrote:

The rest of your symptoms are very strange. I can offer no help at all.
Obviously something is wrong, but I can't even begin to tell you what to
look for.

They are very common. Kenwood potted the main PLL in a rubber compound
to isolate from thermal changes and mechanical shock. In plain English to
slow down the effect of temperature changes and prevent frequency jumping
if you tapped the radio, or when mobile went over a bump.

The problem is that over the years the rubber compound started to absorb
water from the air. If you were in a totaly dry enviornment this would
never happen. I have an R5000 (same problem). When I lived in the U.S. I
kept the radio in a basement that was so wet everything would rot in a
few days, so we kept a dehumidifier running and the basement was very
dry. The radio never had a problem.

After sitting in a box and then a freight container over the ocean, it
picked up enough moisture to fail in about 3 months.

The fix is simple in theory and is documented on the Kenwood web site.
You remove the shield from the main PLL, remove the rubber compound,
replace any parts damaged due to corrosion and readjust the PLL.

An experienced technician, such as Cliff at AAVID, can do it for
about $100 for parts and labor. Unless you have the correct tools
and equipment, I'm not sure you can do it, but many people have.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

MD September 22nd 03 03:23 PM

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article , Bob M. wrote:

The rest of your symptoms are very strange. I can offer no help at all.
Obviously something is wrong, but I can't even begin to tell you what to
look for.

They are very common. Kenwood potted the main PLL in a rubber compound
to isolate from thermal changes and mechanical shock. In plain English to
slow down the effect of temperature changes and prevent frequency jumping
if you tapped the radio, or when mobile went over a bump.

The TS450's do NOT use the compund that caused so many problems in the
TS440's. I have owned both.

The fix is simple in theory and is documented on the Kenwood web site.
You remove the shield from the main PLL, remove the rubber compound,
replace any parts damaged due to corrosion and readjust the PLL.

AS I said there is no compound in the 450.

If you are experiencing a row of dots on your display, this is a sign your
VCO is out of lock. If you can borrow a service manual, it is very easy to
realign.

Leigh W3NLB September 24th 03 03:57 PM

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:46:44 +0000 (UTC), (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

In article , Bob M. wrote:

The rest of your symptoms are very strange. I can offer no help at all.
Obviously something is wrong, but I can't even begin to tell you what to
look for.

They are very common. Kenwood potted the main PLL in a rubber compound
to isolate from thermal changes and mechanical shock. In plain English to
slow down the effect of temperature changes and prevent frequency jumping
if you tapped the radio, or when mobile went over a bump.

The problem you describe was common in the TS-440. It does not occur
in the TS-450.

73 de Leigh W3NLB

opcom September 25th 03 01:31 AM

This was posted to ARLI, I don't know how many subscribe, but in spite of the numerous comments against BPL (transmitting wideband internet data over power lines, which will destroy the HF radio spectrum), the FCC seems disposed
to encourage it anyway. evil! evil! just look up BPL on the web. The noise from the radiated signals trashed the ham bands thoroughly.

-------------------

From:
Amateur Radio Station N0JAA
4:00 PM

Subject:
[ARLI] FCC Commissioner's Comments Concerning BPL
To:
, ,

The following is a transcript from a recent speech given by FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy at the United PowerLine
Council's annual conference regarding BPL. It seems that she is all for it. It also seems that BPL is going to become a reality, regardless
of what ARRL, the military, or anyone else says. As usual, big industry wins over everyone else because they have the money.

This is from today's FCC Digest.

Paul, N0JAA

----------------------

Reaching Broadband Nirvana
United PowerLine Council Annual Conference Remarks of Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy
September 22, 2003 (As prepared for delivery)

Thank you very much for inviting me to speak with you. I am very excited about broadband-over-powerline technology. I
have seen it in action, and I believe it has a very bright future. It is a real honor to be your keynote speaker at this
important juncture for BPL.

As a regulator, I am keenly interested in BPL technology for a number of reasons. One of my central objectives as an FCC commissioner is to facilitate the deployment of broadband services to all Americans. I also fundamentally
believe that the FCC can best promote consumer welfare by relying on market forces, rather than heavy-handed regulation. The development of BPL networks will serve both of these key goals. It will not only bring broadband to
previously unserved communities, but the introduction of a new broadband pipeline into the home will foster the kind of competitive marketplace that will eventually enable the Commission to let go of the regulatory reins. I
want consumers to have a choice of multiple, facilities-based providers, including not only cable and DSL, but also powerline, wireless, and satellite services. Such a robustly competitive and diversified marketplace is
something I would call broadband Nirvana. We will not get there overnight, but the continuing development of BPL technology is a major step forward.

While the long-term objective is a robustly competitive marketplace that is free of regulatory distortions, a more immediate question is: What should the FCC do to help foster such an environment? Sticking with my Nirvana
metaphor, I guess the question would be, what is the path to enlightenment?

I believe the answer, in short, is regulatory restraint. It is tempting for regulators to take every new technology or service that comes along and apply the same rules that govern incumbent services. After all, regulatory
parity and a level playing field are intuitively appealing concepts. But I believe that it would be a huge mistake to carry forward legacy regulations whenever new technology platforms are established. Many of our regulations
are premised on the absence of competition, and when that rationale is eroded, we must not reflexively hold on to regulations that no longer serve their intended purpose. In fact, many of our old rules not only become
unnecessary as markets evolve, but they can be fatal to new services that need room to breathe.

The Nascent Services Doctrine applying more stringent regulations to wireline providers at a minimum must be reconsidered. As other platforms, including BPL and wireless, become more widely available, that will further
undermine the justification for regulating incumbent LECs broadband services as if they were the only available offerings. When the Commission completes this rulemaking, I expect that we will eliminate many existing rules and
substantially modify others; the central question is the degree of regulation that will remain during the transition to a more robustly competitive market.

Finally, it is important to recognize that although the emergence of new platforms like BPL will eliminate the need for many competition-related regulations, other types of regulation may well remain necessary. For example, the
FCC must implement public policy goals unrelated to competition, or even at odds with competition. Universal service and access for persons with disabilities are examples of this kind of regulation. These public policy goals
generally should be applied to all service providers, to the extent permitted by the Communications Act. The FCC also must intervene to prevent competitors from imposing externalities on one another and to protect consumers
where market failures are identified. Although, as I have noted, the Commission was right to refrain from imposing heavy-handed price and service-quality regulations on PCS services when the were introduced, it was also right
to adopt strict interference rules to prevent competitors from externalizing their costs. The same principle will apply to BPL. They key point is that, while some degree of regulation is both inevitable and desirable, we
should ensure that it is narrowly tailored to the particular governmental interests at stake. I appreciate the opportunity to share these thoughts with you, and I would be happy to answer a few questions if we have time.

******------****** please click on one or more of the links below to send a blank subscribe message.
Amateur Radio Legal Issues List
(A list for discussing legal and legislative issues impacting Amateur Radio from Congress and the FCC)
What have you done for Amateur Radio today?
--^^---------------------------------------------------------------

opcom September 25th 03 01:31 AM

From:
Amateur Radio Station N0JAA
4:00 PM

Subject:
[ARLI] FCC Commissioner's Comments Concerning BPL
To:
, ,

[email protected] September 25th 03 03:40 AM

The row of dots on the main display indicates that a PLL is out of
lock..First, don`t attempt to repair the radio without an original
service manual as it has colored coded voltage readings for rec and
transmit etc..a copy will not show that..To repair this Kenwood is a
pretty ambitious undertaking, if you have multi-layer circuit board
experience down to the component level,and if you have a good source
of Japanese replacement parts,and if you have micro-minature un-solder
and re-solder tools and skills, then you have about 50/50 chance of
being of making the necessary repairs..to make a long story short,send
it to a cetified Kenwood service station.. Good Luck W4PQW

recalcitrant ham op September 25th 03 05:03 PM

"opcom" wrote in message
This was posted to ARLI, I don't know how many
subscribe, but in spite of the numerous comments
against BPL (transmitting wideband internet data
over power lines, which will destroy the HF radio
spectrum), the FCC seems disposed to encourage
it anyway. evil! evil! just look up BPL on the web. T
the noise from the radiated signals trashed the ham bands thoroughly.

I guess you never heard that money talks and bull**** walks eh?

Did you *REALLY THINK* that a couple hundred
aging HF operating tightwad ham radio operators
are going to stop an emerging technology that will
conceivably network home appliances to the internet
and be worth $BILLIONS$ in potential revenue ??

Jeezehus-H-christ...get F-N real !!

charlesb September 25th 03 05:31 PM

"recalcitrant ham op" wrote in message

Another no-callsign anti-ham Troll.

(yawn)

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

charlesb September 25th 03 05:31 PM

GeorgeF September 25th 03 06:43 PM

recalcitrant ham op wrote:

Did you *REALLY THINK* that a couple hundred
aging HF operating tightwad ham radio operators
are going to stop an emerging technology that will
conceivably network home appliances to the internet
and be worth $BILLIONS$ in potential revenue ??

Hams are the least of the problems. There are many other users of the
HF range who will be effected other than hams. Here's just a few:

US Coast Guard makes high use of HF
All branches of the military
Many long distance marine comms are still on HF
TransAtlantic and Pacific Air Traffic Control Comms are HF
(Imagine if the ATC ground station can't hear an Aircraft call is
position).

And that's just a few services who are heavy uses of HF.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com
With DSL who needs BPL?

Dan/W4NTI September 25th 03 11:04 PM

"Keith" wrote in message
nk.net...
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:31:17 GMT,
opcom in wrote:

What have you done for Amateur Radio today?
--^^---------------------------------------------------------------

The question is what has the ARRL done to the future of Ham Radio
by hanging on to the Morse Code Requirement? It has killed it.

--
Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/
= http://slrn.org SLRN 0.9.8.0 is out.

=======================================

You really are a dumbass ain't ya Kieth? Tell me, in you apparantly drug
clouded brain. How BPL and CW have anything to do with each other?

Oh never mind. You ain't worth reading anylonger.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI September 25th 03 11:04 PM

"Keith" wrote in message
nk.net...

Dan/W4NTI September 25th 03 11:05 PM

"opcom" wrote in message
This was posted to ARLI, I don't know how many
subscribe, but in spite of the numerous comments
against BPL (transmitting wideband internet data
over power lines, which will destroy the HF radio
spectrum), the FCC seems disposed to encourage
it anyway. evil! evil! just look up BPL on the web. T
the noise from the radiated signals trashed the ham bands thoroughly.

I guess you never heard that money talks and bull**** walks eh?

Did you *REALLY THINK* that a couple hundred
aging HF operating tightwad ham radio operators
are going to stop an emerging technology that will
conceivably network home appliances to the internet
and be worth $BILLIONS$ in potential revenue ??

Jeezehus-H-christ...get F-N real !!

Sure we will. All we need to is put up KW level beacon stations.

End of BPL.

Dan/W4NTI

Frank Dresser September 26th 03 12:45 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

Sure we will. All we need to is put up KW level beacon stations.

End of BPL.

Dan/W4NTI

Why would that end BPL?

Frank Dresser

Frank Todd K3EKO September 26th 03 01:55 AM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
nk.net...

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:31:17 GMT,
opcom in wrote:

What have you done for Amateur Radio today?
--^^---------------------------------------------------------------

The question is what has the ARRL done to the future of Ham Radio
by hanging on to the Morse Code Requirement? It has killed it.

--
Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/
= http://slrn.org SLRN 0.9.8.0 is out.

=======================================

You really are a dumbass ain't ya Kieth? Tell me, in you apparantly drug
clouded brain. How BPL and CW have anything to do with each other?

Oh never mind. You ain't worth reading anylonger.

Dan/W4NTI

Keith,

Just ignore Dan. Everyone in his mind is a DUMBASS. the only one who
is perfect is HIM, PERIOD.

--
73

Frank K3EKO

Frank Todd K3EKO September 26th 03 01:55 AM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
nk.net...

Carl R. Stevenson September 26th 03 02:24 AM

"opcom" wrote in message
This was posted to ARLI, I don't know how many
subscribe, but in spite of the numerous comments
against BPL (transmitting wideband internet data
over power lines, which will destroy the HF radio
spectrum), the FCC seems disposed to encourage
it anyway. evil! evil! just look up BPL on the web. T
the noise from the radiated signals trashed the ham bands thoroughly.

I guess you never heard that money talks and bull**** walks eh?

Did you *REALLY THINK* that a couple hundred
aging HF operating tightwad ham radio operators
are going to stop an emerging technology that will
conceivably network home appliances to the internet
and be worth $BILLIONS$ in potential revenue ??

Fortunately, our HF bands are interleave in between
allocation for aeronautical mobile, maritime mobile,
DoD, private fixed service, short wave broadcasting,
etc.

I do not believe that we will be anywhere near close
to being alone in this battle.

Carl - wk3c

Walter Treftz September 26th 03 03:14 AM

What's that got to do with BPL???

Walter Treftz September 26th 03 03:14 AM

What's that got to do with BPL???

Walter Treftz September 26th 03 03:24 AM

Here's what we do --- we built a (legal) KW rig into a van, install a
vertical-
radiating antenna, cut out the roof and replace it with a fiberglass
sheet. Drive directly underneath a power line with BPL running. Run lots
of QSO's, and
have at it. We're legal. Induced RF just might make them think twice
about it.
Yes, I know Ashcrofts boys are reading this --- Hi, muthers -- I live at

the callbook address. Bring some beer when you come visiting.
N4GL

Frank Dresser September 26th 03 05:00 AM

"Walter Treftz" wrote in message
Here's what we do --- we built a (legal) KW rig into a van, install a
vertical-
radiating antenna, cut out the roof and replace it with a fiberglass
sheet. Drive directly underneath a power line with BPL running. Run lots
of QSO's, and
have at it. We're legal. Induced RF just might make them think twice
about it.
Yes, I know Ashcrofts boys are reading this --- Hi, muthers -- I live at

the callbook address. Bring some beer when you come visiting.
N4GL

Do you mean the way CBers made channel 5 unwatchable 25 years ago?

I don't know much about BPL, but I think the TV analogy might hold. Given
the bandwidth of BPL, there must be dozens, maybe hundreds of channels on
the powerline. Can every one, or most of them, be wiped out? I'm thinking
somebody came up with some pretty robust ways to deal with interference.

But what if it does stop BPL? BPL isn't being backed because it's a
technically elegant system. It's being backed by politics. Rural areas
were critically important in the last Presidential election, and any
candidiate would love to say something like "MY OPPONENT IS STOPPING ONE
FORM OF HIGH SPEED INTERNET DISTRIBUTION ON BEHALF OF HIS PALS IN THE
TELECOMMUNCATIONS INDUSTRY, BUT I PROMISE TO BRING IT IN, RIGHT ON YOUR
POWER LINE, AS SOON AS I'M ELECTED!!" Of course, that would be a political
misrepresentation, but politicans get away with worse every day. Politics
turns into a numbers game.

How many politicians or bureaucrats are saying anything negative about this
goofy scheme? Politicians may not know physics, but they do know how to
count.

Frank Dresser

Ryan, KC8PMX September 26th 03 07:08 AM

I posted something similar to this in a different newsgroup, but I wonder if
based on the logic that the interference could also affect other services
such as emergency services, aircraft frequencies, and even military
frequency allocations, it would seem to me to be important to persuade those
groups to pressure the FCC against the whole BPL thing.....

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)