Old April 15th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default A question on tube rigs in general, Kenwood in particular

Hi All,

I have a Kenwood TS-530S, but I'm sure this question applies to
most other tube rigs: Why is there even a TUNE setting on the MODE
switch? I know that with this switch engaged the "input power to the
final section is reduced to prevent tube damage during tune-up", but
why not just adjust CAR (CAR LEVEL CONTROL) downward for this step,
since CAR also controls "carrier level during CW operation". Is it
simply a matter of convenience, or do these controls actually do
somewhat different things?

And while I'm on that subject of carrier level, I need to lower my
100 watts to about 10 watts. Is the best way to do this by simply
lowering the CAR control? Does this technique give all the
advantages, such as more protection to the finals (with a high VSWR)
and generally longer tube life?

Another quick question for anyone who is familiar with the Kenwood
TS-530S with the 500Hz CW filter installed, but I noticed that unless
I move IF-SHIFT counter-clockwise, the audio output is not centered on
800 Hz, but more like 1200 Hz or so. Is this normal for Kenwoods?

Thanks for any help!

-Bill

Old April 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"billcalley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Do you have the correct CW filter installed?
Kenwood offered the C filter and the C-1 filter.
The difference is the center frequency.

I remember on my 930, there was a pitch control.
Do you have one? If so, how is it set?
73,
Ed, N5EI

Old April 15th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Apr 15, 7:47 am, "Edward Feustel" wrote:
[...]

Ed, N5EI- Hide quoted text -

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response! Yes, I have the proper YK-88C filter
installed. And it is not the actual CW pitch/tone that's off, but the
filtered passband output into the rig's speakers. The audio output,
unless the IF-SHIFT control is moved counter-clockwise to center it,
has the CW signal at 800Hz, as it should be, but the 500Hz passband
itself is not centered on it and extends too high from about 800 Hz to
1300 Hz...

Best Regards,

-Bill

Old April 15th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article . com,
"billcalley" wrote:

Another quick question for anyone who is familiar with the Kenwood
TS-530S with the 500Hz CW filter installed, but I noticed that unless
I move IF-SHIFT counter-clockwise, the audio output is not centered on
800 Hz, but more like 1200 Hz or so. Is this normal for Kenwoods?

Bill-

I haven't worked on the TS-530. In other similar models there are
typically three crystals associated with the product detector, one for
CW, one for USB and one for LSB. If the crystal is off frequency, it
will cause a signal to be offset from its correct place in the IF filter
passband.

For the TS-520, these crystals appear to be on the carrier unit along
the left side of the radio on the bottom. Each crystal has a parallel
trimmer capacitor. As you adjust the frequency of the detector's CW
crystal, the background noise will sound different as you tune across
the filter's passband.

You need a counter and a diagram to set the crystal frequencies
correctly. The TS-520 service manual I downloaded does not seem to have
directions to do it. I would connect the counter to the output of the
carrier unit, and adjust each crystal to its correct frequency, selected
with the front panel CW/USB/LSB switch. The IF-Shift control should be
centered when making these adjustments.

If you can't read the frequency marked on the crystal, it should appear
in the parts list.

Fred
K4DII
Old April 15th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
jim jim is offline

hi bill,

join other ts-5xx/8xx hybrid fans here

When in tune the power level is reduced to under 2 watts.

if you want to lower your power out the car control will do
this only for CW mode. If you want to use reduced power for SSB,
in the files section in the above yahoo group there is a small
external circuit that will use ALC to lower the power out.

73 jim

Old April 15th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Apr 15, 12:18 pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article . com,

"billcalley" wrote:
[...]

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the tip! So that I don't FUBAR this up, please tell me if
I have this right (changed from your original description to take
advantage of my very limited equipment):

1. Set the MODE to CW and the IF-SHIFT to center detent position of
the TS-530S.
2. Find the single trimmer capacitor located near the 500Hz CW filter
(the trimmer capacitor will be able to shift the 500Hz CW filter
center frequency by some small amount).
3. View the TS-530S's audio speaker output noise on my audio spectrum
analyzer.
4. Adjust the TS-530S's trimmer capacitor until the audio (mainly
noise) output is -centered- on 800 Hz, according to the audio spectrum
analyzer's screen.

Would the above technique work?

Thanks!

-Bill

Old April 15th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

billcalley wrote:

[...]

-Bill- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jim -- sounds like a great site. I'll take a look!

Best Regards,

-Bill

Old April 15th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

billcalley wrote:

Thanks for the tip! So that I don't FUBAR this up, please tell me if
I have this right (changed from your original description to take
advantage of my very limited equipment):

1. Set the MODE to CW and the IF-SHIFT to center detent position of
the TS-530S.
2. Find the single trimmer capacitor located near the 500Hz CW filter
(the trimmer capacitor will be able to shift the 500Hz CW filter
center frequency by some small amount).

You can't shift the CW filter, so you must shift the xtal oscillator
that provides the BFO injection signal for the CW mode.

3. View the TS-530S's audio speaker output noise on my audio spectrum
analyzer.
4. Adjust the TS-530S's trimmer capacitor until the audio (mainly
noise) output is -centered- on 800 Hz, according to the audio spectrum
analyzer's screen.

That is correct, you must adjust the xtal BFO trimmer so that the IF noise
shows up centered on the desired CW note frequency.

-Chuck
Old April 15th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

billcalley wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,
The carrier oscillator frequency used for CW(Rx) is the same as for USB.
Because you want to have 800Hz difference between RX & TX, it would be best
to just ensure the carrier oscillator frequencies are correct (and adjust as
necessary). My TS120 & TS130 (same IF & filters) use:

USB = 8.8315 MHz
LSB = 8.8285 MHz
CW (Rx) = 8.8315 MHz
CW (Tx) = 8.8307 MHz

By the way, I have the narrow (270Hz) CW filters in my rigs. They're VERY
sharp!

Vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old April 16th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Apr 15, 3:44 pm, Chuck Harris wrote:
billcalley wrote:
[...]

Cool -- thanks Chuck!

73,