Old April 16th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default HTX-10 Information

Does anyone have information on the Radio Shack HTX-10 10m radio? I am
looking to get into HF on a shoestring (and before I get flamed 1) I
know that 10m will be at best sporadic for the next several years; 2)
the HTX-10 is a 10m only (and so I will not be able to access other HF
that are open now; and 3) apart from a hack, the HTX-10 is phone only)
and a used radio, power supply, and antenna seem to be inexpensive.

1) Are there known equipment problems (the mysterious silent
transmitter)?

2) What is a good price for one of these?

3) Is there anything else that I should know?

My preference would be to purchase one at a Hamfest rather than ebay,
but if the price was right...

thanks

Mike (KD8EIB)

Old April 18th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article om,
"mike boersma" wrote:

Does anyone have information on the Radio Shack HTX-10 10m radio?

Mike-

The Radio Shack HTX-10 is nearly identical to the Albrecht AE485S. see
http://service.alan-germany.de/Amateurfunk/AE485S/
for some more information.

If you search the web, you will find a CW adapter for the HTX-10. I
wrote up a mod to add a lithium backup battery to keep memory contents
alive when disconnected from power. (There are mods for the AE485S that
do not work with the HTX-10.)

The HTX-10 was sold at a discounted price after Radio Shack discontinued
it. I don't recall, but it may have been around $49. I've seen them
selling for close to the original price at Hamfests. If it was over
$100, you might find a better rig for just a little more. (Examples
might be the Kenwood TS-520 and TS-130, which are around 20 to 30 years
old now.)

The HTX-10 should work quite well when the band is open. The way things
are now, the band could be wide open but you don't hear anyone. Nobody
is on because they don't expect the band to be open! Learn to listen
for the CW beacons.

Fred
K4DII
Old April 18th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The HTX-10 Users Manual is available at URL:

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...1110_PM_EN.pdf

AND User 119 reviews at E-Ham - URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/288

Lamont

In article om,
"mike boersma" wrote:

Does anyone have information on the Radio Shack HTX-10 10m radio?

Mike-

Information on SR-210 John Barnard Boatanchors 0 February 26th 07 12:38 AM
For Your Information GavThe Polack Policy 0 February 10th 07 09:02 AM
13 cm information? Chris Digital 2 September 27th 04 03:22 AM
13 cm information? Chris Digital 0 September 27th 04 02:26 AM
HW-16 information? Frank Krozel Boatanchors 2 February 21st 04 02:35 AM