Old April 25th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default RS232 Remote Adapter for Harris RF350K / RT-1446

RF350 Users,

Would you like to add Computer Control to your Harris Radio? Please visit my website,
http://www.ko6no.com, for information about an RS232 Remote Adapter for your RF350.

Thank You and 73.

Ken Fowler
KO6NO
Old April 25th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ken Fowler wrote:
Would you like to add Computer Control to your Harris Radio? Please visit my website,
http://www.ko6no.com, for information about an RS232 Remote Adapter for your RF350.

Ken, this is a great idea!

From the manual on your web site, it appears that the audio channels
are brought out to the DB25 connector and that the baud rate could be
jumpered for 9600 thus making your board compatible with the Harris
RF-352 (C-11329/URC) Remote Control Unit. (At least in RS-232 mode,
obviously two/four wire or RS-422 would not be supported.)

Is that correct? Is your board compatible with the Remote Control Unit
(with those restrictions) or is it intended for use strictly as part of
a software solution?

Either way, this is still a great idea and it must have been a
significant engineering effort. Very commendable -- thank you!
--
HZ
Old April 25th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 25-Apr-2007, Hank Zoeller wrote:

Ken Fowler wrote:
Would you like to add Computer Control to your Harris Radio? Please visit my website,
http://www.ko6no.com, for information about an RS232 Remote Adapter for your RF350.

Ken, this is a great idea!

From the manual on your web site, it appears that the audio channels
are brought out to the DB25 connector and that the baud rate could be
jumpered for 9600 thus making your board compatible with the Harris
RF-352 (C-11329/URC) Remote Control Unit. (At least in RS-232 mode,
obviously two/four wire or RS-422 would not be supported.)

Is that correct? Is your board compatible with the Remote Control Unit
(with those restrictions) or is it intended for use strictly as part of
a software solution?

Either way, this is still a great idea and it must have been a
significant engineering effort. Very commendable -- thank you!
--
HZ

Thank You Hank.

I don't know. Maybe someone in the MARS community has a Remote Control Unit to test it. If the
C-11329 can get by with RS232, it should work. It looked to me like Harris used the 300 Baud Audio
Modem to connect various units like tuners and amplifiers. I used four of the RS422 pins for RS232
Handshaking and there are no provisions for the Telephone Modem. I also left out the connections
for AUX TXD and AUX RXD because they don't go anywhere. We found that some of the commands did not
work when the jumpers were in the non-ADAPT baud settings. The radio would return its status and
would change frequency but there was no control of Mode or AGC. There are also differences in
Command vs Response between the V601C and V604M EPROMs. Our intended use is as a CAT opertion.

Thank you for your comments.

Ken Fowler
Old April 26th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Apr 25, 6:07 pm, "Ken Fowler" wrote:
I don't know. Maybe someone in the MARS community has a Remote Control Unit to test it.

I have and use the RF-352 remote and will test it with this board. (I
have one board and two sets of the V604M eeproms on order.)

Assuming it can be made to work, my intention is to use an RS232 A/B
switch to switch the RF350K between computer control and the RF-352
controller.

I'll be happy to post my results..

73,
Doug, W7KF