Old August 11th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Default 2m All Mode Rig

I looking to buy a used all mode base rig for two metres at the end
of year and am leaning towards an Icom IC820H. I have looked at the
comments on eHam and it looks as if this rig is a favourite. I
wonder if anyone has/had one and if they have any comments to make
on the rig.

TIA,

Charlie.

PS:I realise that a real radio amateur would buy a tin of biscuits,
eat the biscuits and then build his own rig in the tin from a bag of
components bought at his club's junk sale but I don't eat biscuits.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org
Old August 11th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On 11 Aug, 19:37, charlie wrote:

I looking to buy a used all mode base rig for two metres at the end
of year and am leaning towards an Icom IC820H. I have looked at the
comments on eHam and it looks as if this rig is a favourite. I
wonder if anyone has/had one and if they have any comments to make
on the rig.

I've owned most of the popular V/UHF all mode radios including; Icom
IC820, IC821, IC910, IC290D, IC271E, IC271H, IC275E, IC275H, IC251,
IC746, IC7400, IC706 Mk1, IC706 Mk2, IC706 Mk2G, Kenwood TS780,
TR751E, TM255E, TR9000, TR9130, TS711E, TS790E, TS2000E, Yaesu FT736R,
FT726R, FT221R, FT225R, FT847, FT290R, FT290R2, and an FDK Multi 750X.

The Icom 820H is a nice looking radio with a good receiver, but IMO,
without using a decent transverter, you'll probably not beat an Icom
IC275 in terms of receiver performance. I've had 3 x IC275H's (100w
output, ideal for GS35B linears), and I've yet to find anything
better. Icom IC275's also appear to have much better transmitted audio
quality than other Icom rigs of the same era.

Jack M0PRO

Old August 11th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

charlie wrote:
I looking to buy a used all mode base rig for two metres at the end
of year and am leaning towards an Icom IC820H. I have looked at the
comments on eHam and it looks as if this rig is a favourite. I
wonder if anyone has/had one and if they have any comments to make
on the rig.

TIA,

Charlie.

PS:I realise that a real radio amateur would buy a tin of biscuits,
eat the biscuits and then build his own rig in the tin from a bag of
components bought at his club's junk sale but I don't eat biscuits.

I've had a few VHF/UHF radio's over the years...Icom...Kenwood &
Yaesu...and I still have a FDK (don't ask)...The Yaesu FT-736R imo is
the tops...

PS: According to most on here a real radio amateur would have a "G" at
the beginning of his callsign!!!...

PPS: A real radio amateur wouldn't cross post!!!...according to most on
here...
Old August 12th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:37:13 +0100, charlie wrote:

I looking to buy a used all mode base rig for two metres at the end
of year and am leaning towards an Icom IC820H. I have looked at the
comments on eHam and it looks as if this rig is a favourite. I
wonder if anyone has/had one and if they have any comments to make
on the rig.

TIA,

Charlie.

PS:I realise that a real radio amateur would buy a tin of biscuits,
eat the biscuits and then build his own rig in the tin from a bag of
components bought at his club's junk sale but I don't eat biscuits.

If you're looking for used, give preference to radio's which have a Mutek front-end build
in.

I prefer the Yaesu FT736-R (with Mutek) over many other radio's, however this is personal.
Guess the fact that you don't often see them used is a sign?
If you want the very best look for something like a TS850+transverter (SSB Electronics
LT2+ or DB6NT) but that will cost you.

To get into the VHF scene in Europe check into the ON4KST site at www.on4kst.com/chat Lots
of info can be gotten there as well as real-time propagation and activity info.
Old August 12th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On 12 Aug, 12:26, iwouldntknow
wrote:

If you want the very best look for something like a TS850+transverter (SSB Electronics
LT2+ or DB6NT) but that will cost you.

I haven't found a single second hand SSB LT2S or DB6NT TR144H for sale
in the last 4 years, so good luck!

Jack

Old August 12th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
LVN LVN is offline

"LVN" wrote in message

Time was the ICOM 751 (with Mutek) was the only VHR multiband to have.

meant VHF /meant

10-10 de G1LVN
--
My call is M0WWS. I had an accident,
and I woke up in uk.radio.amateur.

Old August 12th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"LVN" wrote in message

"LVN" wrote in message

Time was the ICOM 751 (with Mutek) was the only VHR multiband to have.

meant VHF /meant

10-10 de G1LVN
--
My call is M0WWS. I had an accident,
and I woke up in uk.radio.amateur.
Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time?
Amateur Radio - social networking since 1897

You must watch your speiling gareth

some one could mistake you for _some one_south_of _THAT_river

DieSea

Old August 13th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Aug 12, 11:59 pm, "DieSea"
wrote:
"LVN" wrote in message

"LVN" wrote in message

Time was the ICOM 751 (with Mutek) was the only VHR multiband to have.

meant VHF /meant

10-10 de G1LVN
--
My call is M0WWS. I had an accident,
and I woke up in uk.radio.amateur.
Am I mad, in a coma, or back in time?
Amateur Radio - social networking since 1897

You must watch your speiling gareth

some one could mistake you for _some one_south_of _THAT_river

DieSea- Hide quoted text -

The FT480-R was a good radio but the push switches on the front panel
are worked by conductive 'rubber' which , now , are starting to fall
appart .allong with other funny faults occuring . nice set for your
qrz.com blag photo , bet there's not many who have the 480/780 and
the combined stand/power supply unit , would polish up a treat :-)

G ..

DSB SC Mode Jay in the Mojave CB 69 June 15th 06 01:51 AM
DSB SC Mode James Crow Policy 15 June 15th 06 01:51 AM
BJT MIXER QUESTION: should it be used as non-llinear mode or switching mode? e2 Homebrew 4 April 1st 06 05:45 AM
Mode For 162.325 C.G. ? Robert11 Scanner 1 November 6th 05 07:25 PM
new ssb mode? Jim Shortwave 8 May 9th 05 08:12 AM