Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 21st 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default GMRS Watts v Distance?

Sorry if this isn't the right group to ask this, if not and
someone know of a more appropriate group I'd appreciate a
pointer.

I currently have GMRS radios that are rated at "16 miles"
(yeah, maybe on the salt flats or over water, ok, we all
know about that). The are rated at 2W on the GMRS freq's
and .5w on FRS.

Why are the new "25 mile" units still rated at 2W? What's
the difference in the two radios to justify the increased
distance claims?

Can't be frequency or a change to the privacy codes or they
wouldn't work with older radios.

Increased sensitivity/filtering? Hype?

--
Steve

All About GMRS Radios, GMRS Repeaters, Etc Caveat Lector Shortwave 1 January 25th 07 12:09 PM
FS: GMRS - SECURENET MOTOROLA PORTABLE REPEATER STUFF GMRS /\/\()-|-()! **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Swap 0 September 29th 06 03:36 AM
FS: GMRS - SECURENET MOTOROLA PORTABLE REPEATER STUFF GMRS **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Swap 0 September 16th 05 03:04 AM
TX Distance question James Dx 52 November 29th 04 03:25 PM
WTB GMRS mobile 25+ watts (pre-configured?) Brenda Ann Swap 0 February 2nd 04 02:48 AM